Benelli M3 clones! (Turknelli M3, SDS Duo-Sys, Tristar Tec-12)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    In theory, the adapter will let you run any 870 stock. You may need to adjust the screw length, though. It comes with a screw specifically designed for the Magpul stock.

I received my high cheek riser set today. They helped tremendously, and I eventually wound up going with the .75 riser after some testing. It does a much, much better job of putting my eye behind the ghost ring, and probably would be acceptable with a reflex sight.

Gotcha, was hoping it would take m4 stocks or something.

Besides the stock, what else are you replacing for 922r?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Gotcha, was hoping it would take m4 stocks or something.

Besides the stock, what else are you replacing for 922r?
    Follower. M3s do not have a gas piston, so you're one part down from the M4. Stock+follower should get you there.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks.

How much of the mag tube are you going to chop off? Close to the crimp? Or as short as possible?
    I'm going to cut off as little as I can. But, realistically, that's going to be quite a bit. The extension is not going to fit over that extra part of the tube; it's likely going to be near the threads. The plan is to use a conduit cutter.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    OK, took this thing out today. Box of buck, maybe like half a box of birdshot.

Bad news: light strikes! Confirmed by looking at the shells. Did it across both Federal and Fetter ammo, in both pump and semi modes. Same ammo ran fine in my Stoeger M3K. Feel fairly confident this is not an inertia system issue since it happens in pump mode. Will be tearing it down to see if there are obvious fixes to try before I send it back to SDS.

Good news: other than the light strikes, it cycled like a boss even in semi-auto mode, including extraction. I had heard claims that these wouldn't cycle birdshot at all, which was certainly untrue for at least my relatively hot 3gun birdshot.

Other thoughts: shell release is in a really weird spot compared to a real M3 (the back of the shell latch), but it's usable. Locking open on empty in pump mode wasn't a big deal. Recoil wasn't light, but it was manageable; Magpul stock with the highest cheek riser was very comfy.

Stay tuned for my discoveries when I tear this thing down to look for problems...

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Did a detail strip. No obvious problems. Hammer feels like it's hitting with reasonable force. Firing pin channel is clear. I think this is going to require finesse. Plan now is:
    1. Email SDS
    2. If no satisfaction from (1), order new hammer, inertia, and recoil springs.

This thing is a much closer clone of the M3 than I initially gave it credit for; it looks like the trigger housings might be compatible. Guess I should keep my eyes out for used M3 parts...

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Did a detail strip. No obvious problems. Hammer feels like it's hitting with reasonable force. Firing pin channel is clear. I think this is going to require finesse. Plan now is:
    1. Email SDS
    2. If no satisfaction from (1), order new hammer, inertia, and recoil springs.

This thing is a much closer clone of the M3 than I initially gave it credit for; it looks like the trigger housings might be compatible. Guess I should keep my eyes out for used M3 parts...

Id order a benelli hammer spring and swap it to see what happens.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Unfortunately my gun had four different issues today when I went to try it out. The lifter is being raised to high and it is blocking the path of the shell (a couple of times the shell was released and pushed the lifter up and fell out the bottom) and the gun isn't releasing the next shell. These issue might be related, and seemed to have to do with the plunger at the back of the lifter. I also had a couple of light strikes when loaded manually. And the couple of rounds of Remington Sporting Clays birdshot cycled the action like an inch, so they obviously didn't eject.

Not a good first day out. Will be contacting SDS.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Rereading Erwos's post, I might have been running the gun incorrectly. I didn't release the shell release was on the back of the tab, I thought it was jumping out because it was out of spec but now it looks like it does that intentionally.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Rereading Erwos's post, I might have been running the gun incorrectly. I didn't release the shell release was on the back of the tab, I thought it was jumping out because it was out of spec but now it looks like it does that intentionally.
    Yeah, there's a button at the back of the lifter that dumps a shell out. Not sure why they chose that over the usual silver Benelli button thing.

I did not have a lot of luck with getting SDS to respond to me last week. If I don't get any satisfaction this week, I'll order the replacement springs and see if those can resolve the problem.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Yeah, there's a button at the back of the lifter that dumps a shell out. Not sure why they chose that over the usual silver Benelli button thing.

I did not have a lot of luck with getting SDS to respond to me last week. If I don't get any satisfaction this week, I'll order the replacement springs and see if those can resolve the problem.

Did they send you a form to fill out for the new parts or you haven’t heard back at all from them?

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County

Looking at mine, it has 2 positions.

When set to pump, when the gun runs empty it locks the bolt back and the lifter is locked closed position by the shell release (can’t load the magazine tube). You need to drop a shell in the chamber then press the bolt release. Now the shell release changes position and the lifter is raised slightly and allows the mag tube to be fed.

That’s how mine works at least.

johnsopi

Feb 8, 2018
    I just got this Khan/KayhanDUO-SYS 12 ga the locking head pin does not travel all way to the back of the cutout in the bolt carrier is this normal? The LGS where where I bought it saw no problem with it. Emailed SDS have not heard back. Jessi is no longer with SDS.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I just got this Khan/KayhanDUO-SYS 12 ga the locking head pin does not travel all way to the back of the cutout in the bolt carrier is this normal? The LGS where where I bought it saw no problem with it. Emailed SDS have not heard back. Jessi is no longer with SDS.
    Mine does this as well. I assume it had to do with the inertia spring.

johnsopi

Feb 8, 2018
    Shot the SDS Duo used wolf slugs and diffrant buck shot Shot @35 rnds 50% had a FTE. Some stovepiped others the extractor did not seem to be catching them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom