Benelli M3 clones! (Turknelli M3, SDS Duo-Sys, Tristar Tec-12)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnsopi

Feb 8, 2018
    Heard back from SDS customer service. They gave me a RMA # said the bolt should go all they way back in the slot. So far happy with SDS customer service
    unlike LGS.

johnsopi

Feb 8, 2018
    yet anther update from SDS
    I apologize for all of the inconvenience, when our gunsmith was pulling parts for you, he had mistaken your picture for the S4 shotgun since they are almost identical, not the Duo-Sys that you have. The bolt does not go all the way into the cutout. He said it is completely normal for yours to stop where it does.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    yet anther update from SDS

I apologize for all of the inconvenience, when our gunsmith was pulling parts for you, he had mistaken your picture for the S4 shotgun since they are almost identical, not the Duo-Sys that you have. The bolt does not go all the way into the cutout. He said it is completely normal for yours to stop where it does.
    Yeah, it makes sense for it not to go all the way in, given that the bolt needs to be able to compress the inertia spring during cycling.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I got my shotgun back today, but SDS neglected to send the CH... they're sending a new one out. They told me they swapped out the trigger group (which, frankly, they could have just mailed to me).

I will take the gun out for testing this Sunday or next... I can run it in pump mode to verify functionality, it'll light strike or it won't.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I just took mine out again. Failure to eject Federal Buckshot in semi auto. In pump action I got failure to feed where rounds were getting caught up at the mouth of the chamber. Guessing lifter isn’t perfectly aligned but it did feed alight in semi auto? Also had a couple light strikes as well.

Going to call SDS next week. Frankly I’d be happy to get my money back if I can. Glad I waited to upgrade it.

If I can get it to run high brass buckshot in semi and birdshot in pump I’ll be happy.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I just took mine out again. Failure to eject Federal Buckshot in semi auto. In pump action I got failure to feed where rounds were getting caught up at the mouth of the chamber. Guessing lifter isn’t perfectly aligned but it did feed alight in semi auto? Also had a couple light strikes as well.

Going to call SDS next week. Frankly I’d be happy to get my money back if I can. Glad I waited to upgrade it.

If I can get it to run high brass buckshot in semi and birdshot in pump I’ll be happy.
    Which shells are you running?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Since the transition ate my post...

Test-fired my returned Duo-Sys on Sunday. Had some initial cycling problems like Eric described, but some lube in the action appeared to fix them completely. Only ran about half a box, but the light strikes have disappeared. Assume a stronger hammer spring was responsible for both items. :)

Step two will be to put the Magpul stock back on and see if the issue is still fixed with that. Once I feel comfortable with reliability at that point, I will do the mag tube cut and put on an extension and new follower... I have a Wolff tube spring coming this week.

johnsopi

Feb 8, 2018
    Since the transition ate my post...

Test-fired my returned Duo-Sys on Sunday. Had some initial cycling problems like Eric described, but some lube in the action appeared to fix them completely. Only ran about half a box, but the light strikes have disappeared. Assume a stronger hammer spring was responsible for both items. :)

Step two will be to put the Magpul stock back on and see if the issue is still fixed with that. Once I feel comfortable with reliability at that point, I will do the mag tube cut and put on an extension and new follower... I have a Wolff tube spring coming this week.

johnsopi

Feb 8, 2018
    How long did SDS have your gun? Did they email you before they return ship. they have had very little communication with me since I shipped it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    How long did SDS have your gun? Did they email you before they return ship. they have had very little communication with me since I shipped it.
    They emailed me with tracking for the gun on the return. No other communication. There was a note in the box about what they did. It took about a week to send it back from the time they received it, which is reasonably fast turnaround.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Battlehawk has these back in stock for $275. This thread has made me question if I really want one, but $275 is less than I’d pay for a 10/22 these days . . .

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Battlehawk has these back in stock for $275. This thread has made me question if I really want one, but $275 is less than I’d pay for a 10/22 these days . . .
    Even legit Benelli M3s have cycling issues with weaker birdshot. Just how the platform is...

johnsopi

Feb 8, 2018
    I had to email to get updates on my gun. Last week they where going to test fire. This week they are going to replace it. Guess testing did not go well. This is week 6.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Any word on what magazine extension works for the Duo-Sys? Also, in working the action with dummy rounds, I had one fly out of the tube onto the floor. I don't know if it was a user error with working the action without "firing" the rounds. Any info on personal usage would be appreciated.

Q

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Any word on what magazine extension works for the Duo-Sys?
    Benelli Nova, but you will need to cut the tube back to make it work. The Duo-Sys uses the original M3 style spring+follower retention, which is a crimp. Dumb decision, but I bet it was cheap...

Also, in working the action with dummy rounds, I had one fly out of the tube onto the floor. I don't know if it was a user error with working the action without "firing" the rounds. Any info on personal usage would be appreciated.
    Can't say I've ever had that one happen to me. Sounds almost like a timing issue with the lifter, or you somehow dumped a shell out with the button while it was up (I don't know if that even works, I've never tried).

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Well they called and told me that they couldn’t fix my Duo and they have had so many problems they would rather replace with Tac-12.

Figure I’ll be able to at least get my money back.

Sirex