• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I'll probably catch some grief for this, but after my FIL passed away, and before my MIL moved in with us, she was on her own for a couple of years. I had taught her how to shoot but most firearms were too much for her and she had difficulty racking a slide. She didn't have an HQL of course and had no intention of getting one. Went through a bunch of scenarios and what I finally decided was I gifted her an antique .32 S&W long revolver that I made sure was in excellent working order. She could handle the limited recoil well and shot it well enough in single action (she could manage the double action pull, but she did much better in single action). So why give her a gun that was 30 years older than she was? I figured that it she could manage it, it had a bit more authority than a .22 plus it was center fire, and she could actually use it in an emergency. Not the most accurate gun in the world, but at bedroom distances (which is the only thing she would ever need it for) she could consistently hit center of mass. Plus, if God forbid, she ever needed to use it, as pre 1899, she was legally able to own it. Not a SHTF gun, but for a burglar breaking into her house, it might give her a fighting chance. Probably not the best scenario, but it is what we went with. Fortunately, she never needed it and she lives with her full time bodyguard now :)

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    I'll probably catch some grief for this, but after my FIL passed away, and before my MIL moved in with us, she was on her own for a couple of years. I had taught her how to shoot but most firearms were too much for her and she had difficulty racking a slide. She didn't have an HQL of course and had no intention of getting one. Went through a bunch of scenarios and what I finally decided was I gifted her an antique .32 S&W long revolver that I made sure was in excellent working order. She could handle the limited recoil well and shot it well enough in single action (she could manage the double action pull, but she did much better in single action). So why give her a gun that was 30 years older than she was? I figured that it she could manage it, it had a bit more authority than a .22 plus it was center fire, and she could actually use it in an emergency. Not the most accurate gun in the world, but at bedroom distances (which is the only thing she would ever need it for) she could consistently hit center of mass. Plus, if God forbid, she ever needed to use it, as pre 1899, she was legally able to own it. Not a SHTF gun, but for a burglar breaking into her house, it might give her a fighting chance. Probably not the best scenario, but it is what we went with. Fortunately, she never needed it and she lives with her full time bodyguard now :)

It is my belief that unauthorized entry into one’s home classifies as shit hitting the proverbial fan.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Physical security is as good as it can be without adding metal window barriers, both have standard electronic security and ability to contact 911. They do not live in high crime areas but they have lost confidence in the government’s willingness (local, state and federal) to allow law enforcement to do their jobs.

Reasonable all. FWIW, I learned a lot on this board about upgrading door hardware. I concede the point that a dedicated home invader will just smash a window but it might be worth looking at.

As to your original question, I respectfully have nothing. My dad is an 84 year old former Marine. He's a tough 84 year old, but I have no faith that he could handle much in the way of recoil. His grip strength wouldn't allow a semi-auto handgun and frankly without his glasses he'd be shooting at a blur.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Reasonable all. FWIW, I learned a lot on this board about upgrading door hardware. I concede the point that a dedicated home invader will just smash a window but it might be worth looking at.

As to your original question, I respectfully have nothing. My Dad is an 84 year old Marine. He's a tough 84 year old, but I have no faith that he could handle much in the way of recoil. His grip strength wouldn't allow a semi-auto handgun and frankly without his glasses he'd be shooting at a blur.

FIFY

Ain't no former Marines, right MDS Jarheads?

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I'll be the *******...

Why a gun? Have you upgraded their doors/ locks/ alarms/ lighting? Do they have a good landline to call for help? Do they live in high crime areas? How do they feel about large dogs? What has changed now to make people around 80 decide that they need a gun for the first time?

We're gun folks. We can argue for days about the perfect gun and the perfect ammo. Sufficient penetration vs over penetration, recoil vs energy, ease of use... Thats our shtick but this is real deal, lives that perceive they're in danger. What has been done to harden the target?

Hold the phone, J....I was the first ******* in this thread if you checkout my Post #45

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Hold the phone, J....I was the first ******* in this thread if you checkout my Post #45

Excellent! This is why I need to read threads before responding to them. Of course I took credit for the idea, so that still qualifies me for ******* status.

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    For someone up in age, who has never owned a firearm, I would only recommend a revolver. Something with a four inch barrel like this Taurus is perfect for them.

https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/see-all-revolvers?view=category&id=54

I don't recommend a semi auto, even the EZ models because they are a bit more complicated to use.

With a revolver, they just have to keep pulling the trigger even if one round doesn't go off.

I strongly agree. I think a revolver carbine, something they can hold with two hands is even more ideal. If the owner is too weak to use the double action trigger, they could cock the hammer and it would be super light trigger pull and simple to use. No safety or 'action' to mess with. I think these are the ultimate "old persons gun", or gun for someone that is clueless about guns.

https://rossiusa.com/firearms/circuit-judge

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    Just skimming this thread a bit more now... I also agree, as we get older, a gun might not be the best solution; physical security first (good locks/devices, lights, alarms, etc.), then consider would pepperspray or something else be a better option. Most folks loose some judgement as well as physical strength, etc. so at some point we will all 'lose it'; I hope I'm dead before that happens.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The other unaddressed question is about the attitudes of the old folks .

Do they * Want * to be armed , or is this all your idea ?

Somebody spent 65 plus years on this earth , never handled a gun , nor had a desire to previously ? Did they have a sudden ephifny on their own , or are they just humoring you ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom