• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ziondogg

Feb 1, 2012
    SOMD
    So I understand why big dog's doesn't give out prices but before I drive over there I was wondering if anybody here has been there lately and know what p-mags are going for? Pm me if want. Thanks.

FWPhoto

Jun 3, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    So I understand why big dog's doesn't give out prices but before I drive over there I was wondering if anybody here has been there lately and know what p-mags are going for? Pm me if want. Thanks.

You are referring to 30-round mags, right? If we're talking about the same thing, most of them go for around $19.99/ea.

I saw them here for a lot less though. Maybe I'll order some from here.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319180134/magpul-pmag-m2-moe-magazine-ar-15-223-remington-30-round

ziondogg

Feb 1, 2012
    SOMD

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    Was there last Saturday, $25 each. If I had known how much too high (double) they were I would have passed. A friend of mine got some in the Manassas area, $13.

ziondogg

Feb 1, 2012
    SOMD
    I just called sharpshooters in Lorton and they have them for $14. Looks like I'll be going there instead of big dog's.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    so...why exactly doesn't big dogs give out prices?
    i called the other day looking for .308 - they said they had it but wouldn't tell me how much so i ordered it online. i would have gone down if the price was fair - probably would have wound up with a few hundred in odds and ends as well.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    i called the other day looking for .308 - they said they had it but wouldn't tell me how much so i ordered it online. i would have gone down if the price was fair - probably would have wound up with a few hundred in odds and ends as well.

Its there policy , Charles is a more than fair guy and has a Great inventory. He has always treated me more than fair. And I have bought 4 rifles from him that he treated me very good on ! His prices can be flexible ! But I do understand he is in business. If you have never gone to his shop I encourage you to ! I can almost bet you will leave with something :party29:

ziondogg

Feb 1, 2012
    SOMD

The couple times I have called their response was we don't give prices out to our competitors. I'm sure 95% of the people who call for prices are not their competition.....but o well their loss.

FWPhoto

Jun 3, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    Its there policy , Charles is a more than fair guy and has a Great inventory. He has always treated me more than fair. And I have bought 4 rifles from him that he treated me very good on ! His prices can be flexible ! But I do understand he is in business. If you have never gone to his shop I encourage you to ! I can almost bet you will leave with something :party29:

I agree! I bought my Colt AR and XD .45 from them. I was an impossible shopper...so many questions. I window shopped for damn near a month and a half before I made the final decision on mine. They were courteous, professional, and not once did they make me feel like I was wasting their time. Not to mention, there's nothing they don't know about guns. I felt totally confident talking to them and with my decision. The last time I was in the store was mid-May. That's when the mags were $19.99. I guess the price could've changed. I was a little disappointed when I saw how much Midway had them for today, though.

285ferrari

Dec 7, 2012
    Waldorf
    The couple times I have called their response was we don't give prices out to our competitors. I'm sure 95% of the people who call for prices are not their competition.....but o well their loss.

I don't think it is there loss, they do quite fine, it is there policy and will certainly survive without your purchase....

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013

Correction! Make that 5 as of today ! LOL

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I am finding that the prices are going unreasonable high, The had primers in stock the other day and I was going to buy a few bricks but when I was told over $100 for a brick I didn't buy any. They had a bunch of other reloading stuff I was going to buy until I saw the price, They had a RCBS hand primer that I have on backorder with midway usa for $50 Big dogs had the same one for about $75

I did buy a mossberg MVP and paid about $100 over the MSRP but they are the only place that had one. and the ammo prices are quite a bit over priced.

They wanted about $1000 for a Ruger mini 30 that one can order from walmart for about $600.
    The only good thing is that We can buy high cap. magazines from them even if they are over priced.

I much rather support a local store and don't mind paying a little more for the great service they give but with the price of the bridge and the price they are charging I am dropping back my visits to them. I have to get my things mail order because it is a lot cheaper. Now if they drop the prices to be more reasonable I would shop there first and get stop ordering so many promags magazines and get high quilaity magazines in.

About the no prices over the phone, it is their store and they can do as they want however they are not doing any service to the customers. insted of them giving the price over the phone and the customer saying hold it for me I will be there shortly, with the policy we have to waste gas and pay the toll to cross the bridge then find that the price is way to high. as for them having to worry about computation, there really isn't any any around them and I think it is that they know the prices are so high that people wouldn't come in if they gave them out over the phone.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Let's be reasonable here, guys. I do a lot of business with Big Dog, and am delighted that they have set up in the area. But keep in mind that they aren't a branch of some mega-chain enterprise, nor are they a giant online dealer. The guy who owns the place is just that ... a guy who is trying to run a good business. Be fair. Just because you may have found a better price on one item somewhere else, making it sound like he overcharges for everything is pure BS. It may be that the high-priced item was something he had to pay a lot more for in the times of craziness, and he did that so that people could get that item.

That said, you can get some deals there, and there are some prices that you might be able to beat by buying the same item online ... or, more often, someone may have a better price online for the item, but it's not in stock. For the most part, his prices are reasonable, if not excellent. Keep in mind that this is a guy who is trying to have items in the store that someone needs, and in these unpredictable times it's hard to do that and have the best prices. I know that he's had to take a loss on some items that he bought high, when prices were up for everyone, and then the prices came down and the big online sellers had those items in stock again. But he took that risk so that he could supply his customers when the big outfits were just offering back orders.

Also, when you are doing the math with this stuff, no matter where you are buying, figure in things like shipping and availability, as well as how much you need/want it. I don't mind paying a couple of bucks more for something that I can walk out of the store with and not have to spend most of a day and a bunch of gas going to get at some distant shop. For the most part, though, I can get the same item at Big Dog for as good a price as anywhere else, don't have to spend much time or gas* getting it, and have it in my hand that day. [*I'd rather give the money to an AMERICAN small business owner than to an oil-rich foreign company!]

Another factor to consider is if you need that item right away. I recently bought a bullet mold on evil pay and knowingly spent better than $20 for it than it was priced for, on back order, at the usual online sources. Why? I needed to be loading some of those rounds, and the places that had the mold on back order hadn't had them in stock for 3 months. Did I like paying extra? No, but it was my choice to either pay what it took to get the mold now, or wait an undetermined length of time and get it cheaper.

Not giving out prices over the phone? I can see how that might be frustrating, especially if you have to travel pretty far, but suggesting that somehow means they are over-charging is pure B.S. Very few places will give you prices over the phone, and there are lots of good reasons for not doing so. We've got a small business here who is supporting MDS as an IP. At least be fair enough, in return, to not make a high-ish price on one item sound like it represents everything that he sells, or make it sound like there's something improper going on because he won't quote prices on his stock over the phone to whoever calls, for whatever reason.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    I love America the land where you choose where you spend your money.
    If you don’t like a store because its name, politics or price’s then don’t go there!
    There's furniture store now a full time gun store in Waldorf, I choose not to spend my money there.
    I’ve driven all the way up to Mt. Airy from southern Maryland because they had want I wanted and paid the price they were asking why, because I choose who gets my business.
    If I like a store I’ll spend the money to keep them in business it’s the America way. :patriot:

WMC

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    You are right you can find a deal from time to time. And I have bought from them and will do so again. They are great to deal with. However most of the things in there are way way over what they should be even taking into account how hard things can be to get. Over $100 for small rifle primers is way out of line. The rcbs hand primer that I wanted was well over $25 over other places I have seen them and in stock. They had a brick of 22 long rifle that they sold for over 100. These are just a few. I understand they are small businesses and I do not mind spending g a little more for local and something in stock but they do not have to make the days payroll on one sale and use the reason it is hard to get and we have it. That is not the way to stay in businesses.

FWPhoto

Jun 3, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    I agree with Machodoc 100%. Up until I did the search for mags, I just assumed they were a good price there. Until that, I have always had a 100%positive experience with them too. As much as i window shopped, they started to recognize me and treat me like family...well as much as a customer can be treated that way. I was new to the AR world and they were able to answer every question I had and offer even better advice.

I ended up there because a friend turned me on to the shop. I wanted an AR before the ban and tried to get one from Fred's. They had a 2 month waiting list and you had to put $115 down to get on the list. I am a frugal shopper so if I'm going to drop $1000+ on a firearm, I want see, feel, investigate, and be able to choose what I'm going to drop that cash on. I didn't like having to 'take whatever comes in' at Fred's. I walked into BD's and they had no less than 10 AR's and AK's on the wall. All I heard was hallelujah music...it was a shoppers paradise of various items to choose from. They had an even better selection of pistols and revolvers not to mention the ammo that you couldn't find in MD. I continued to shop there for the service and principle protest against the coming ban. I saw Owe'Malley trying to turn the gun community into a cash cow and I wanted no part of it. I gave my tax dollars to VA because they respect the rights of their citizens. So for me, they were in the right place at the right time and had what the MD stores couldn't offer me. I will continue to support them. I'll probably get my mags from Midway but go there for everything else. They make me feel valued and important as a consumer that supports their business. Yes, the free market rocks and we all choose where we show our support for many reasons...not just cost. Personally, I like supporting small business rather than big box as well.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    They wanted about $1000 for a Ruger mini 30 that one can order from walmart for about $600.
    Ordering it and getting it are two different things. Big Dog has a really nice store - big and well stocked. The prices are higher than walmart and Internet retailers. I think they've done the right thing by figuring out how to compete against them... have the merchandise in stock. Thumbing through a catalog or website and seeing stuff for cheap that you can't actually buy is frustrating. Walking through Big Dog and seeing the stuff in stock but priced higher than the imaginary merchandise on the Internet is a little frustrating maybe but at least you have to option of taking it home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom