• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Yesterday, I hiked 4.5 miles with a 40lb pack. Zero problems except for blisters due to improper footwear.

I need recommendations for a combat-ish style boot. Stuff like Columbia hiking boots are very comfortable for me but simply aren't durable enough.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    8 or more years ago I bought Under Armor boots for some New Mexico elk hunting. They were the lightest by a large margin at BP. Since then they have been used for many occasions without any problems.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Danner boots have excellent durability. I've had a pair of all leather hikers that have lasted 8+ years. Picked up a pair of their trail shoes several years ago and they've held up well also.

mal316

MDS Supporter
    Jun 3, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    So many boots are apparently made for skeleton people, they are so narrow. I have tried, and returned, a couple of Salomon Forces boots that people seem to like a lot. Even their "wide" size is narrow.

For me, Keen's boots it is. In wide sizes - although their regular width is supposed to be wide as it is. Currently wearing Keen's Ridge Flex mid-rise boots, and very happy with them. They're getting harder to find, might have to get a second pair.

Will check out Danner boots.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I have Magnum duty boots I used for motorcycling. They hold up every where and never a blister. You can get a side zip water proof version, too.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    1.) Take a look at Corcoran boots. I have a pair on now. They have held up very well under rough conditions.
    2.) Rocky SHV's were extremely comfortable but didn't last.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Danner boots have excellent durability. I've had a pair of all leather hikers that have lasted 8+ years. Picked up a pair of their trail shoes several years ago and they've held up well also.
    +1 on Danner.

These are my Ft. Lewis Danners. I have almost 20 years with these. Winter hiking and outdoor work boot (this is the insulated version). They replaced my shorter insulated Danners that I purchased in the Marine Corps - those boots lasted me almost 20 years, including 5 hard years in the Marines.

danner.jpg

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I've had Danner and Adidas go fast boots with good results.

If it's for mobility and protection/support is less of an issue, I default to Merrell shoes or low height hiking boots. Find a store that carries Merrell, keen, and Salomon. Try on lots of all three.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I switched to Keens and love them. Most comfortable work and hiking boots that I've worn and I have worn

USGI Boots
    USGI Jungle Boots
    Double H Matterhorns Both Winter&Summer versions
    Danner
    Carolina (When USA Made)

A few Cheap BassPro Rednecks that wore out in a year even with heel savers

Vibram Soles, Stiched or Hob Nailed, No Glue Ever and of course Made in USA models always preferred unless your talking German field boots.

Not sure who made my Tanker Boots but they were always comfortable but I never marched or hiked in them but they looked great climbing up on the Tracks or walking out on the flight line

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My Danner Acadias are now 10 years old and have just been re-soled for the second time. Most comfortable shoes I own.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Lots of excellent suggestions. Thanks!

I think there's a brand called Red Wing. Anyone use them?
    Much like Timberland, my experience is they're more of a fashion brand these days. There may be some good lines but they're living on reputation.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N

I would not ever recommend red wings.
    They are sized small. So you go up 2 sizes and They still are small.

I could not ever hike in them ever..

Never ever!

Maybe the 10 year old pairs are good and mine were. But not these new boot from red wing..

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland

I wear red wing work boots.....I have for over 15 years. My preference is for the 4417 model. I would never hike in steel toed work boots and I would never work in hiking shoes.

Roksfr

Ardent Safety Training
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 14, 2020
    Southern AA

Red Wing makes several great options, but they are a premium priced item. I have a some for work, that take a beating not sure how they would be for hiking. I also like my Keens, RW used to sell a hiker made by Vasque they were very durable and comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom