• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Sent them back to Danner for their recrafting service. This time they got new liners too.
    I have a pair of Arcadias also that I wouls like to restore.

Last good boot cobbler I trusted has closed up shop and that Resole America is too expensive for their quality.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I take a lot of advice on this kind of thing from a nephew of mine who was special forces. He said that bar none, the best boots he ever used were the Lowa Zephyr GTX - he specifically used the mid height. He used those everywhere for everything, usually humping a pretty heavy pack in and out of wherever they were going to do "business."

He said he also had a pair of Rockies he liked, but that they were pretty heavy.

I don't have a pair of the Lowas yet - I'm waiting to wear out my Under Armor Tac Loadout boots first - I've enjoyed those, but they are lighter weight, aren't particular good in the cold, and I can't see them holding up well with the additional weight of a pack.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

Not cheap, but excellent quality.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    Lots of excellent suggestions. Thanks!

I think there's a brand called Red Wing. Anyone use them?
    USA made Red Wings are great for work. They are making more products outside the USA now but I have only purchased USA made Red Wing products. They are solid for work. I would not hike in the Red Wings I own.

I would try some of the manufacture names suggested by others for hiking and outdoor activities.

jlax2485

MDS Supporter
    Aug 3, 2023
    Baldwin, MD
    Nicks boots - you will pay dearly for them, but there are few boot makers that can match their quality and comfort. Once you break them in, they are like wearing slippers. They also offer resole / recrafting services on their boots.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nicks boots - you will pay dearly for them, but there are few boot makers that can match their quality and comfort. Once you break them in, they are like wearing slippers. They also offer resole / recrafting services on their boots.

****Beautiful boots. Very very well made. Nothing of this quality is cheap, ever. They are clearly hand made by craftsmen that know how to make shoes and boots.

Really nice.

Screenshot 2024-03-21 132933.png

Screenshot 2024-03-21 133000.png

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    Lowa, keen, danner, under armor, merrell and vasque all make good boots I have worn. Lowa being bar none the best boots ive ever had. Guys I know who put serious miles in under packs speak highly of solomon, La Sportiva, garmont, Asolo, altra, even hoka. I don't like solomons, some danners, or asolos but that is the geometry of my feet and my preferences, not a fault on the boot.
    I would caution avoiding columbia boots like the plauge they are comfy to walk around in but they don't hold shape well under the added weight of a pack.

Try stuff on and see what works for you

I wear red wing work boots.....I have for over 15 years. My preference is for the 4417 model. I would never hike in steel toed work boots and I would never work in hiking shoes.
    Seconded. They make great work boots but I would never want to hike in steeltoes.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Merrell meh. Bought a pair (actually 3 pairs March '23 of Moab 2 Mid Waterproof). They fit great, were comfortable and figured I'd get several years of wear out of each pair. I just submitted a warranty claim on the first pair as the sole is separating from the upper. I submitted the claim 10 days after the warranty period technically expires and today sent the corroborating info. Mow I may get the warranty on the first pair, but the other two are BNIB and when/if the blow out there is no way a warranty clim would be accepted. I have logged an estimated 700 miles with a combined weight (me and weighted vest) of 220 lbs. All of it has been on the very mild Northwest Branch trail system. I'm not impressed with their durability especially given they are marketed on Merrell's website as a boot suited for "Rugged Hiking". Attached is an image of the blowout...

Merrell Defect.jpg

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I've had Danner and Adidas go fast boots with good results.

If it's for mobility and protection/support is less of an issue, I default to Merrell shoes or low height hiking boots. Find a store that carries Merrell, keen, and Salomon. Try on lots of all three.
    Is there anywhere in central MD that you would suggest that carries them?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've had Danner and Adidas go fast boots with good results.

If it's for mobility and protection/support is less of an issue, I default to Merrell shoes or low height hiking boots. Find a store that carries Merrell, keen, and Salomon. Try on lots of all three.
    I've had two pairs of Danner's and both killed my feet. All feet are different. Keens have never felt right(too big of a toe box). Salomons are decent, Asolos are better(for me). My favorite boots are Carolinas. I've settled on Merrell Moabs II...

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд

md77

Aug 17, 2022
    MoCo
    He said that bar none, the best boots he ever used were the Lowa Zephyr GTX - he specifically used the mid height.

Lot of great recommendations here, I have several pair of the Danner Acadias that I have had for 20 years and have been rebuilt by Danner, great boots but a bit stiff for me these days. Solomons are great, nice and light; but my last 10 years has been the Lowa Zephyr GTX mid. I didn't have hiking boots a couple years ago when my better half and I went to Iceland to traipse around for a couple weeks. My new Lowas arrived the day before we left and they were my footwear for the 2 weeks. Hiked the volcano, couple hills and caves, and a day of snowmobiling and climbing around on one of the glaciers. Not one blister, never leaked, no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom