• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    Anyone else have issues with getting a 22 bore snake to get started through the barrel on the S&W mp 15-22? The weight easly feeds in but it is like the shoelace portion before the actual cleaning portion of the bore snake is too large. I tied some fishing line to it with a tine bead and tied it to the weight and was able to get it started that way but without it I can not get the weight to go down the barrel.

seankar

Jan 22, 2012
    Millsboro, DE
    no problems with mine, Are you using a rifle bore snake or one for a pistol. Mine is long enough for the cord to let the weight go all the way thru before the snake is chambered.
    also try stretching the cord a few times

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Yes sir, def the 22 cal snake and it is long enough for rifle. The problem is that when I put the little brass weight (labeled .22) into the chamber it doesn't really fall anywhere. As soon as the black show string like portion start to try to go into the barrel it hangs up. Must just have a bad one. I use the bore snakes for quick field cleaning in a bunch of other rifles, I think I just have a lemon!

Goose Guy

Skooma lord
    Mar 29, 2010
    People's Respublik of Maryland
    I had issues with my boresnake fitting down the barrel of my Savage 64 the first time. I think it was due to all the powder/oil/etc. mixture sticking the string or weight to the barrel. This was after an extensive shooting session, by the way. No real problems since then.

TheEvilZX2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2011
    My boresnake passes through my 15-22 without a problem. Just a bit tighter than passing through my AR's, but never had a problem.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I have dedicated bore Hoppe's bore snakes for my .22LR and 22 centerfires. I've experienced no problem pulling them through the bores of either type.

A while back, I posted about a difficulty I was having with a .243 boresnake. For some reason, it was very difficult to pull through my falling block .243 but worked fine in my A-bolt. It was theorized that a higher rate of twist might be the culprit but I checked and twist rates were the same between the 2 rifles. Maybe you've got a defective bore snake that slithered it's way through quality controll a little fat?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    It's not getting caught on a rough spot on your gun is it? I'd be sure to drop it as straight down into the chamber as possible so it doesn't get snagged on the extractor cutout.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    It's just that damn cord between the brass weight (marked 22) and the actual bore snake that is too large. It's not so large that it will not go through at all, just too large for the weight to pull it through on it's own. If you give it some assistance with some fishing line tied to the brass and dropped down first, all is well. Just sucks that it will not work on its own. Tried it now in everything I own 22 and it's the same deal

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    You must have a defect. The only issue i've had with bore snake and the 15-22 is that sometimes the fat part ( the cleaning part of the bore snake) will catch on the ejector, so I have to hold the rifle in an odd position to get it to pull through cleanly.

As far as the leader cord ( black thin cord with the brass weight) I have had no problem with it cleanly dropping down the barrel.

You gots a dud. Contact hoppes and get them to make it right.

The most important question of all however, is why are you cleaning the bore on a .22?

Why?

The only thing you're acomplishing is damaging it, little by little. Everytime you run a brush or snake down the bore on a .22, you ruin it a little bit more. 22's subjected to "normal" firing do not need the bores cleaned.

Unless it's a full-auto gun that has been subjected to multiple (like hundreds of rounds) mag dumps in rapid succession, there is generally no leading inside the bore.

modern .22 ammo is not corrosive. It's dirty, but the residue will not hurt the bore. And under normal firing conditions, the bullets will not lead up the rifling.

Clean the crud out of the action, but leave the bore alone.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    I prob had a few thousand through the gun and the accuracy started slipping a bit. Once cleaned though it was restored. I don't think that cleaning the barrel every few thousand is over kill... Thoughts? Thanks for the knowledge mudskipper

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom