• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    you may be able to put it thru the vibratory tumbler with dry media but you are taking a chance on the primer viability. Or carefully deprime and clean as to your normal process

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If these have mil. crimps, I would not deprime. I'd run a few through the tumbler and load them to see how they react. Otherwise load them as is and shoot. They may have been pulled for a reason. I wonder what that reason was.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Dry tumble a few.

Remove the de-priming pin and full length re-size those few.

Stuff in some powder and that little thingy that fly out da end of da barrel and see how it goes.

Keep us posted.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Primers are cheap. I would deprime them with great care, safety glasses and hearing protection, then wet tumble the brass. I would chuck the primers. Not worth your time and hassle.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What's the head stamp? Are they crimped?

I agree that if they're too dirty, don't load. I just don't want you getting hurt trying to de-prime crimped primers. Like libh8r and I suggested, dry tumble a hand full and choot'm. See what happens.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    How many do you have?

I would be tempted to chamber them and pop the primers in a rifle and then go from there. Yes, "lost" primers but much better than a crimped primer blowing in one's face!

Where did you get them? Are you happy with the deal?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Primers are cheap. I would deprime them with great care, safety glasses and hearing protection, then wet tumble the brass. I would chuck the primers. Not worth your time and hassle.
    I would do this as well. I have deprimed live cases, but perhaps not crimped. As long as you go slow and steady, the added pressure to deprime a crimped primer should not set them off, but precautions should be taken, in the event that ones goes bang. I use a single stage press, so I have very good 'feel' of the processes. I use a cheap Lee decapping die to deprime prior to tumbling and in a wet tumbler, that brass will look great when done! I have picked up some pretty knarly range brass and it comes out looking new (except for the dings and dents and they come out when fire-forming.. lol)

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    How many do you have?

I would be tempted to chamber them and pop the primers in a rifle and then go from there. Yes, "lost" primers but much better than a crimped primer blowing in one's face!

Where did you get them? Are you happy with the deal?
    Had them a couple years. Bought them from Wideners on a whim. Do not recollect what they cost. Prolly got a thousand casings. Haven't seen them since.

I too wondered why they'd been pulled but have found there's a pretty interesting market for pulled mil spec. I bought more than a little BMG components that way. They were South African. They were also dirt cheap. While I haven't seen them often, there seems to be ebbs and flows in this market. When they're available, they seem to be at a couple of places. I may even have gotten some from Sportsmanship Guide at one point. I've been in the pick up stuff when I can, where I can mode for several years. Especially if it's cheap and mil spec. That's what gets laid in for long supply.

I just dug out this bag a few weeks ago.

As for chambering them to "snap the cap", I really don't want them in my weapon in their current/dirty condition. I'll try for some pics later. That'll make more sense then.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Lake City

Attachments

• image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      33.6 KB · Views: 160

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yeah. All I saw was sealant stain, not dirty brass. That primer didn't look crimped, but maybe just the pic. If they've never been fired, then they are crimped. Chootum!

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    The discoloration at the front is just from annealing. If you are really concerned, roll them around in a towel for a while first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom