• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    I have a bunch of pistols I love shooting but I hate to the range. I havnt found a case yet that can’t hold them and that I actually like/trust.

Any ideas?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Get a BIG wide mouth tool bag. Put each pistol in an individual pistol rug. You can probably fit 6 pistols and ammo and targets, stapler, etc in the bag. Earmuffs loop on the carry handle.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Get a BIG wide mouth tool bag. Put each pistol in an individual pistol rug. You can probably fit 6 pistols and ammo and targets, stapler, etc in the bag. Earmuffs loop on the carry handle.
    The large tool bags work great for pistols.

martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    I bought the apache 3800 case from Harbor Freight. I now can carry 4 pistols with at least 10 mags for 48.99 you can't go wrong.
    That was my original plan, only with the larger 4800. Some of my pistols are full size and have optics, so I can’t stand them up. So buzzkill

martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    “Pistol rug” is something I never heard of before, but now I think if I can find some with heavy padding this could be perfect. Then I wouldn’t feel bad about tossing them in a pelican knockoff, or like you said a extra tool bag

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

I have this and routinely carry 4-5 pistols, mags, and 200-300 rounds of ammo. I’ve had it for ten years and never had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I have a medium sized range bag from Midway, it has places for 4 handguns, plus 2 sets of ear muffs, A cleaning kit in the middle section. A side pocket with 6 magazine holders, plus 4 other zipper pockets for other odds and ends.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    I have a medium sized range bag from Midway, it has places for 4 handguns, plus 2 sets of ear muffs, A cleaning kit in the middle section. A side pocket with 6 magazine holders, plus 4 other zipper pockets for other odds and ends.
    I have the same one, been happy with it. Been the range schlepper for at least 5 years or so.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have a bunch of range bags. My go to for years for multiple HG's or long range trips is the 511 bag, Pistols in rugs or padded with a wash cloth or small towel. Holds a ton of crap including ammo.
    That said, the tool bags work great.

FeelTheNoise

WTF
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 11, 2015
    Cecil County
    Maybe not the best option, but personally I use the GPS Tactical Backpack. Not sure I can recommend it in this case as it only holds three pistols (with mags) and it sounds like you may want to transport more. But in addition it holds everything else I bring (eyes, ears, gloves, tools, oil, stapler, some medical supplies). It's also a bit pricey, it was cheaper several years ago when I originally purchased it, but of course what wasn't.

If I had to do it again, or wanted to carry more pistols, I'd probably buy something like this case with foam inserts and then just use a duffel or regular back pack for other range supplies. You could make a customized one for less money with an Apache 4800 case and some foam. I'd recommend closed cell foam to prevent moisture building up and rusting things in the case.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have a bunch of pistols I love shooting but I hate to the range. I havnt found a case yet that can’t hold them and that I actually like/trust.

Any ideas?
    I you haven't found a case that can't hold them I think your problem is solved!

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

I have the Larue range bag. It can hold at least 4 pistols, ammo, spotting scope, sand bag, targets, tools, stapler, etc. I really like it. You can fit more than 4 pistols in it but it only has pouches for 4. I've taken 4 pistols in the outside pouches and a couple in the main compartment. It's pricey but I've had it 10-12 years and no issues. Fully loaded it's close to 50lb and the shoulder strap has had no issues.

Looks like they don't make them anymore. Oops.

Jweiss013

MSI and MSRPA Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 9, 2019
    Baltimore Co
    I bought a 1911 from a user here that came with a pistol rug. It was my first time seeing one. I might look to get a couple more.

I have also considered buying a mobile tool cart from Dewalt, Milwaukee, Husky etc. They can sometimes be found for a decent discount, and I might be able to get away with packing my ammo in the bottom bin. Maybe someone here has already tried this and can relay the experience.

martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    I bought a 1911 from a user here that came with a pistol rug. It was my first time seeing one. I might look to get a couple more.

I have also considered buying a mobile tool cart from Dewalt, Milwaukee, Husky etc. They can sometimes be found for a decent discount, and I might be able to get away with packing my ammo in the bottom bin. Maybe someone here has already tried this and can relay the experience.
    Like Milwaukee packout? I was pretty gungho about it, now im kind of worried I'd destroy the wheels on gravel too easily

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom