• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Maryland residents can't buy magazines and have them shipped to another state?

There has been endless debate on here concerning where you are when you physically place the order. Sit in your living room and place the order vs. drive over the PA line with your laptop and place the order. All that just highlights the absurdity of Maryland's ******** laws.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Check out Tyler Firearms he stocks Canik firesarms and you’ll get the mags. I also believe he has a fee for blocking non-compliant mags. He’s also an IP here.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD

Not legally. You can possess them, just not buy them in MD, ship to MD or manufacture them in MD.

The curiosity is where the money actually changes hands during the purchase process should define where you are purchasing them from. I keep it simpler by having a friend from work buy them and ship them to his house in WV.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Check out Tyler Firearms he stocks Canik firesarms and you’ll get the mags. I also believe he has a fee for blocking non-compliant mags. He’s also an IP here.

Beat me to the post!

And nothing beats being able to handle what you are going to buy

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    You’re not going to like it haha.
    But believe it or not. I am getting the Canik TP9SFx. I have shot many handguns. And out of the box. I think it’s the best handgun for the money.

i ran the uspsa stage at the nra world shoot at peacemaker a few months back and we used these canik sfx's and after six days of nonstop shooting, the only two issues were a petite female who wasn't holding it or gripping it correctly/firmly, and some dude with monstrous hands who was either crushing the grip or perhaps thumbing the slide, other than that 100%.

i just got one of these, with the vortex viper red dot. one because it worked great in action per above and two because i had little to no problem staying on the dot vs other carry optics guns. super accurate gun. the only thing i hated was the super long trigger take up. just installed a freedomsmith racer trigger which got rid of almost all of that take up.

chantilly gun show is next weekend, that's where i got mine (at the last one). believe there is at least one ffl there that can handle both md and va sales and might solve your mag issue. and the big mag dealer in the back right does have an ass't of canik mags.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

There has been endless debate on here concerning where you are when you physically place the order. Sit in your living room and place the order vs. drive over the PA line with your laptop and place the order. All that just highlights the absurdity of Maryland's ******** laws.

:thumbsup:

The question arises as to where the sale took place.

Was it within the boundaries of the state of Maryland?
    Are Internet sales taxed by Maryland when the order was placed from a Maryland address?

If so... then the purchase originated from Maryland... and that appears to make it an illegal sale.

I would not want to be “that test case”.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. We were talking about this issue at work the other day and someone said to find a dealer that will do a mag block. I've havn't had this issue so I don't really know the ins and outs of doing it.

There are many dealers who will do mag blocks. It isn't nefarious and permissible as long as the dealer does it. They are allowed to accept > 10 round magazines and then block then down.

My preferred dealer does it regularly. A dealer that won't is being officious and not following what the law allows out of their own misguided concerns or misinterpretation of what they can do.

If the dealer won't block the mags, find one who will.

Matt

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Are Internet sales taxed by Maryland when the order was placed from a Maryland address?

No. Sales taxes are always based on the location where the customer takes possession. If it’s over the counter, it’s where the store is. If it’s a shipment/delivery, it’s the delivery address.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Most OOS sellers will not take money off because you can't get the mags nor will they ship the mags separately out of state. Best bet is like someone said, find a dealer who will do a mag block. Or even better, order the gun through an IP here who supports the costs of this critical forum.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Most OOS sellers will not take money off because you can't get the mags nor will they ship the mags separately out of state. Best bet is like someone said, find a dealer who will do a mag block. Or even better, order the gun through an IP here who supports the costs of this critical forum.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Repeat to yourself " Life is not fair, living in Maryland sucks " .

A private individual , or an independent LGS with used item from inventory * might * knock a cpl $ off , for not sending mags . A distributor won't .

An FFL * may * accept mags>10 , and subsequently pin/ block them . But many don't/ won't/ lack the skills .

MSP advisory letter say is a no- no for a Md FFL to transship mags>10 back out of state . Very few out of state sellers will split shipment to two addresses.

If you are getting somthing truely unique ( custom bespoke , used, vintage , truely rare ) , then you probably have to get transferred . If somthing currently mfg , in large enough volume to be handled by a distributor , don't torture yourself by looking at the forty-somthing state prices on the internet . Check with IP's , or other LGS with good reputation , for the prices FOB their counter, with Md compliant mag(s) .

Damastah

Dec 14, 2018
    This is all very good info. Thank you all for the input. Feels nice knowing there is a decent size community out there that is active and helpful.

I will most likely check out the chantilly show this weekend. And hit Tyler up after and go from there.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Repeat to yourself " Life is not fair, living in Maryland sucks " .

A private individual , or an independent LGS with used item from inventory * might * knock a cpl $ off , for not sending mags . A distributor won't .

An FFL * may * accept mags>10 , and subsequently pin/ block them . But many don't/ won't/ lack the skills .

MSP advisory letter say is a no- no for a Md FFL to transship mags>10 back out of state <<to the same Maryland purchaser>> . Very few out of state sellers will split shipment to two addresses.

If you are getting somthing truely unique ( custom bespoke , used, vintage , truely rare ) , then you probably have to get transferred . If somthing currently mfg , in large enough volume to be handled by a distributor , don't torture yourself by looking at the forty-somthing state prices on the internet . Check with IP's , or other LGS with good reputation , for the prices FOB their counter, with Md compliant mag(s) .

Details matter.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Given the tone of the MSP Advisory Letter , how many FFLs will actually reship mags ( wink, wink, knod, knod ) to out of state recipients that the handgun purchaser directs ? I can't arbitrarily say zero, but I would suspect to be near zero . Sell them out of state in transactions the dealer initiates on GunBroker, etc , sure .

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The MD buyer may ask the FFL to send it to anyone out of state that is not the MD buyer him/herself. That's all the MDSPLD letter affects, sending it to the MD buyer at another address.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No. Sales taxes are always based on the location where the customer takes possession. If it’s over the counter, it’s where the store is. If it’s a shipment/delivery, it’s the delivery address.

No. if the online retailer has a physical presence in a state, then they will collect taxes for deliveries within that state. If they do not have a physical presence, they don't.

Amazon did not collect MD state taxes on purchases delivered in MD, until Amazon opened a physical presence in MD.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The MD buyer may ask the FFL to send it to anyone out of state that is not the MD buyer him/herself. That's all the MDSPLD letter affects, sending it to the MD buyer at another address.

No exactly. If they are shipped, buy an MD FFL, to an out of state address FOR the MD buyer, that is a no-no. No matter who they are addressed to.

But there is no way MD can legislate how an out-of-state FFL handles this, as long as the mags never go to MD.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    No. if the online retailer has a physical presence in a state, then they will collect taxes for deliveries within that state. If they do not have a physical presence, they don't.

Amazon did not collect MD state taxes on purchases delivered in MD, until Amazon opened a physical presence in MD.

The tax is based on where the transaction is consummated. If it’s delivered or picked up in Maryland, then Maryland sales tax applies. If the business doesn’t have a presence in Maryland (which allows Maryland to require that business to act as a tax agent and collect/remit the sales tax), then the legal responsibility falls on the BUYER in Maryland to report and pay the state’s sales and use tax on that purchase.

It’s not that those Amazon purchases weren’t subject to MD sales tax before they had a presence in MD. It’s that if a MD recipient wasn’t paying the state the SUT on those purchases, they were breaking the law.

The recent court ruling doesn’t require anything directly, but it does open the door to Maryland going after out of state businesses to force them to act as Maryland tax agents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom