• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    The landing pattern has been completely out of whack tonight.

We were out for a drive, and inbound planes were well out of their normal positions, both in vector and altitude.

Was it simply pushing traffic in and down because of Trump heading back to NYC (seemed late for that), or is something else up?

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Which way was the wind blowing? Last night it was out of the East so departures were to the East. Wind is NE at 4 mph at this moment. That is a likely reason for the changed air traffic pattern. Or Russians. :lol:

There is also a thing about social justice (which has been in place long before the O admin), where the pattern is switched from time to time to spread the noise so it's not just over one neighborhood all the time.

Last edited:
    The landing pattern has been completely out of whack tonight.

We were out for a drive, and inbound planes were well out of their normal positions, both in vector and altitude.

Was it simply pushing traffic in and down because of Trump heading back to NYC (seemed late for that), or is something else up?

You sound like one of "those people" that moved to Crofton and complain about Capital Raceway.:sad20:

J/K :D

As usual,I have no intelligent contribution.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Which way was the wind blowing? Last night it was out of the East so departures were to the East. Wind is NE at 4 mph at this moment. That is a likely reason for the changed air traffic pattern. Or Russians. :lol:

There is also a thing about social justice (which has been in place long before the O admin), where the pattern is switched from time to time to spread the noise so it's not just over one neighborhood all the time.

The usual inbound pattern was in effect (in from the S, over I-97), but the turns that are normally done down near Annapolis were happening over Severna Park, and at a much lower altitude than usual.

A bit disconcerting, to say the least.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Paterns determined primarily by wind direction.

Also there is a new system that vectors planes into runway instead of lanes established for noise reduction. Supposedly, reduces fuel consumption, while increasing noise complaints.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Planes land normally on 33L or 10. If the wind is really roaring from the west then we will land on 28. Its unusual. If the airport is doing work on 10 then we will land 15R. If you go to google maps and zoom in you can see the layout of the runways and see where the final track will be. Most planes will be lined up, at least, 5 miles from the end of the runway.

Weather as of right now is benign so they are probably landing 33L unless they are working on the runway. I cannot get the terminal information online but maybe they have a runway shutdown for maintenance. I'm sure Southwest is on a reduced schedule for the holiday so its probably a good time to do some minor work.

If you have a scanner 119.40 is the tower frequency.

edit: Wind is 080 at 4 knots so they MIGHT be landing on 10 or 15R if there is work going on 10. Most airlines allow up to 10 knots tailwind so if the airport was landing 33L and has been busy they will just go with the small tailwind instead of working all the planes around the airport. Small planes will land on 15L/33R

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    I think his point was that the final approach legs were shorter than normal, i.e., Severna Park, vs Annapolis for the turn to final. If the air traffic is light, would ATC bring the pattern in closer?

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    I hear there is a new lawsuit coming up for BWI due to noise. Well that was what WTOP was reporting yesterday. I think....

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Mainstream media has an explanation.

vladimir-putin-co-pilot-081010jpg-88f207db806a956c.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I hear there is a new lawsuit coming up for BWI due to noise. Well that was what WTOP was reporting yesterday. I think....

Because everyone wants easy access to an airport but doesn't want the noise. Liberal Nimbyism at its best.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I think even the airlines want to stay as far away from Washington as possible. Never know when someone will shoot down an airplane just to ruin it for the next president...

I'm just saying.... :innocent0

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I think his point was that the final approach legs were shorter than normal, i.e., Severna Park, vs Annapolis for the turn to final. If the air traffic is light, would ATC bring the pattern in closer?

Not necessarily. When we have the airport "in sight" ATC will clear us to proceed on a "visual approach." Which basically means we can do whatever we want to get to the runway within the bounds of safety regulations (FAA and Company mandated). As long as you are lined up to the runway at 1000' you are within those bounds. That's about 3 miles from the end of the runway. Not everyone abides by this rule. "Back in the day," it was 500 feet so many old timers will scoff at anything new. If you are #1 to the runway and see the airport ATC will clear you. Then there is no distinct pattern so airplanes could be over houses they normally aren't.

Also, there are some who will descend to the lowest altitude further out then others so that's probably what he is referencing. If you descend lower earlier you can carry more speed and then slow down quicker . If you are higher altitude and at the same speed its much more difficult to slow down for landing going, "down hill." I have a feeling this is what was going on last night. When your day is done you just want to get there so get down, go fast, throw out the gear like hitting the brakes hard in a car and get it over with so you can go home. Burns more gas but at that point its go home time.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Not necessarily. When we have the airport "in sight" ATC will clear us to proceed on a "visual approach." Which basically means we can do whatever we want to get to the runway within the bounds of safety regulations (FAA and Company mandated). As long as you are lined up to the runway at 1000' you are within those bounds. That's about 3 miles from the end of the runway. Not everyone abides by this rule. "Back in the day," it was 500 feet so many old timers will scoff at anything new.

Also, there are some who will descend to the lowest altitude further out then others so that's probably what he is referencing. If you descend lower earlier you can carry more speed and then slow down quicker . If you are higher altitude and at the same speed its much more difficult to slow down for landing going, "down hill." I have a feeling this is what was going on last night. When your day is done you just want to get there so get down, go fast, throw out the gear like hitting the brakes hard in a car and get it over with so you can go home. Burns more gas but at that point its go home time.

Oh yeah, what do you know? :innocent0;):D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom