• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Anyone have one of these yet ? Im due for a new phone and one of the earlier version flip ones I had was great .Im hard on phones so im thinking about going with this one .

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    If this is the touch screen new smart phone I have one and it's great. I didn't want a smart phone because I was happy with the other ones and didn't think I'd use the internet that much (fat chance). I've dropped it tons of times and it still works like a champ.

The flip version I'd literally sit in a beer pitcher all night (shut up I was in college). I dropped it in the river on the farm and had to fish it out with a crab net. This one I have been afraid to put in water but I am assuming it is going to be the same. Then again the last one I was afraid to put into water until someone else did ti for me and I realized how bad ass it was.

I googled it and we are talking about the same phone. The only grip is due to the fact that it has thicker glass than most smart phone the touch sensitivity isn't as good as the newer iphones or droids but I would 100% recommend it to you guys without fail!!! A pretty good camera and easy user interface to boot!

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    If this is the touch screen new smart phone I have one and it's great. I didn't want a smart phone because I was happy with the other ones and didn't think I'd use the internet that much (fat chance). I've dropped it tons of times and it still works like a champ.

The flip version I'd literally sit in a beer pitcher all night (shut up I was in college). I dropped it in the river on the farm and had to fish it out with a crab net. This one I have been afraid to put in water but I am assuming it is going to be the same. Then again the last one I was afraid to put into water until someone else did ti for me and I realized how bad ass it was.

I googled it and we are talking about the same phone. The only grip is due to the fact that it has thicker glass than most smart phone the touch sensitivity isn't as good as the newer iphones or droids but I would 100% recommend it to you guys without fail!!! A pretty good camera and easy user interface to boot!

The old flip one I was great I dropped it in the pool once and said to hell with it may as well try the camera . Took pics under water of my son swimming . That phone was great . Is the star search thing and all free or is it a monthly charge?

Attachments

• 0628081440.jpg
      0628081440.jpg
      65.1 KB · Views: 350

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I dont' know what the star search is.......I know that the GPS app that gives you driving directions is extra (and kind of expensive) but the data is 30 bucks a month and really hard to go over the allotment. It allows you to pick up WiFi which doesn't use your data (to my knowledge). You will have to set up a gmail.com account when you purchase the phone for some reason. I use google on this thing all the time to B.S. on MDS. and as usual it still has good verizon service.

I did the same thing with my older flip phone. I went under water and got an AWESOME picture of a trout in the castleman river (frostburg area).

BTW if that pic came from the old phone I am impressed the clarity is pretty good. I didn't think it was that good when I had mine. I just got this phone like to months ago because my old Gzone flip phone fell into the D.C. sewer system. Pissed me off because I know it was still working underwater but I couldn't reach it.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    I have the Commando. The touch screen is not bad (I have nothing to compare it with). It is a solid phone, runs fast, plenty loud. So far I have no complaints.
    This is also my first "smart" phone.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I dont' know what the star search is.......I know that the GPS app that gives you driving directions is extra (and kind of expensive) but the data is 30 bucks a month and really hard to go over the allotment. It allows you to pick up WiFi which doesn't use your data (to my knowledge). You will have to set up a gmail.com account when you purchase the phone for some reason. I use google on this thing all the time to B.S. on MDS. and as usual it still has good verizon service.

I did the same thing with my older flip phone. I went under water and got an AWESOME picture of a trout in the castleman river (frostburg area).

BTW if that pic came from the old phone I am impressed the clarity is pretty good. I didn't think it was that good when I had mine. I just got this phone like to months ago because my old Gzone flip phone fell into the D.C. sewer system. Pissed me off because I know it was still working underwater but I couldn't reach it.

yeah that pic was with the original one with the thing that looked like a bumper on it lol . I have the minimal data package now I dont get online or anything with my phone . I have one of the lg envy touch screens now. I think the screen being less sensitive will work better for me . I have giant sausage fingers size 16 ring lmao . It may help me out .

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I have the Commando. The touch screen is not bad (I have nothing to compare it with). It is a solid phone, runs fast, plenty loud. So far I have no complaints.
    This is also my first "smart" phone.

I dont know if the envy is a smart phone this shit is getting too complicated lmao .

From the recomendations from you guys I will be ordering it . Thank you :thumbsup:

chevydave

Sep 24, 2011
    severna park
    Went on a kayak trip with the guys from work earlier this year one of the guys had this phone he flipped his kayak 11 times (no exaggeration) and his phone was in his pocket the whole time and it still works like it's brand new probably worth the money.

But I do agree it's no iPhone :)

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I have no use for a iphone . I will never used most of the stuff this one does . Hell Ive never even been online with my phone . I just use it for a phone and camera .

That said my son is 10 and im not looking forward to getting him a phone :sad20:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Smaller than an i-phone but it comes with its own armor.

I'm happy with mine

Did you buy the otter box case with it? I didn't even bother and I drop mine everytime I get out of the truck, because I put it on my lap. I haven't had a problem with the phone when dropping it.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Did you buy the otter box case with it? I didn't even bother and I drop mine everytime I get out of the truck, because I put it on my lap. I haven't had a problem with the phone when dropping it.

No otterbox needed.
    From VZW: Rugged– With MIL–STD–810G certification, the Commando meets military standards for water, shock, and dust resistance, making it perfect for any situation that life can throw at it –from the boardroom to the beach.

I have dropped mine several times with no effect.

snickers

Mar 10, 2011
    I also have one and had the previous flip phone version. Highly recommended for those that need some extra durability. I always laugh when buying one and the salesperson offers insurance after telling me about the rugged-ness.

The only problem I ever had with the flip phone version was in the software (random shut offs), which is regularly updated. But the commando is android so it is probably inherently more stable.

So far no problems with the current one.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    I have a x2 but keep it in an otter box. They really take a beating and keep the phone looking new. The best was when my 2year old took my bow holder that screws into the tree. The screen protector had a decent scratch in it, so I emailed otter to find out about getting just that part of the system, they ask for a picture of the screen and mailed me a new setup.

http://www.otterbox.com/droid-x-by-motorola-cases/droid-x-by-motorola-cases,default,sc.html

I have the defender if you want to check it out

FlatTopFoley

Bears
    Sep 6, 2010
    Silver Spring
    I dont' know what the star search is.......I know that the GPS app that gives you driving directions is extra (and kind of expensive) but the data is 30 bucks a month and really hard to go over the allotment. It allows you to pick up WiFi which doesn't use your data (to my knowledge). You will have to set up a gmail.com account when you purchase the phone for some reason.

Well you have to sign up for a Google account because Android is a Google property. It integrates all of your info with that account now, so any android smartphone you can just put in that email and all your info will be there.

And please, for the love of god, stop using VZ Navigator. please. Go to the marketplace, and download Google maps with Google navigator. Its free, it should have been on your phone to start with, and its superior. Trust me, you should NOT be paying for GPS. that's 100% Verizon ********.
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.apps.maps&feature=search_result

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tharper429

Latest threads

Top Bottom