• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Their policy states that no weapons are permitted but my understanding of PA law is that they can just ask you to leave. I’m actually a Longwood member and carried there Saturday On PA permit.

Been a member for many years. Have carried everything from a 1911 to a subcompact 9mm there (concealed, of course) without difficulty. They most definitely have no metal detectors or significant security of any kind.

Enjoy.

-Rob

Every season there is something new. The fountains are turned off in the winter and were recently rehabilitated. I gots to see that!

Also different music programs. The organ tour (no wise-cracks) is really interesting.
    Are there times when it is less crowded? like during the work day? I get that the holidays are probably more busy. We signed up for a 6:30pm arrival time. I would say the parking lot was about 2/3 full when we got there and 1/4 when we left around 10:00. The place was clearly set up to handle much bigger crowds...but I don't think that is something I would ever want to experience. I don't like being around a lot of people all at once, and there were quite enough for my taste last night :o
    A lot of the paths were closed, I'm assuming because it was after dark, so I guess the same sized crowd should be a little more diluted during the day.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    In PA, "no weapons" signs have 0 force of law, the most they can do is ask you to leave, and charge trespassing if you refuse. Federal buildings are a different story, and then the usual schools, courthouses, prisons, secure areas of airports etc. Most of us just carry, and know the few places codified in state or federal law, then if a place has metal detectors either go back to the car and decide if you want to stash it, or go somewhere else.
    That's good to know. I feel like I should hang my head in shame for saying this...but since I didn't need PA training for CCW, I didn't really learn the intricacies of PA CCW law :o

I just kind of assumed it was America :shrug:

grumpy eagle metal detector.jpeg

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    These are the types of places that are 'weird' for those of us who carry. They SAY "no weapons", yet, it seems there is zero attempt to enforce it. In MD, they would likely put up the "No Concealed Carry" sign.. but in PA, it's different.

This is one reason why this forum is a huge benefit for us to ask those in the know. Just knowing that folks carry there without incident is a big comfort.
    yes!

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I missed seeing the bats. The kitties are all around the grounds, kind of scattered, usually among the shrubs, etc.

There was a cat in the pump house.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Are there times when it is less crowded? like during the work day? I get that the holidays are probably more busy.
    Yes. I like to get there before dusk because due to the outdoor displays, but earlier is better. Sometimes the timed entry tickets are sold out all day so it won’t matter.

I’ve only encountered the madhouse effect at Christmas.

Winterthur, Hagely and Numours are all good too but Longwood is the big show.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    We went Saturday, today was the last day for the Christmas season display. The cold rainy weather kept the crowd down but it was really nice. The tour was abbreviated as the rose room and other venues are being demolished for an overall expansion.

The main poinsettia, tree and orchid room displays are stunning.

The organ room a spectacular treat. We didn’t linger outside but really enjoyed it again.

Dinner at Buckley’s Tavern nearby was very good and the light fare/sandwich menus reasonable.

Last edited:

BurtonRW

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    Yes. I like to get there before dusk because due to the outdoor displays, but earlier is better. Sometimes the timed entry tickets are sold out all day so it won’t matter.

I’ve only encountered the madhouse effect at Christmas.

Winterthur, Hagely and Numours are all good too but Longwood is the big show.
    Weekdays are always less crowded than weekends or holidays, of course. And if the weather is cold, 90% of visitors are just there for the conservatory, so you can usually bundle up and have the outdoor gardens and paths pretty much to yourself. That’s pretty much the way we do it to avoid the crowds.

-Rob

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    In PA, "no weapons" signs have 0 force of law, the most they can do is ask you to leave, and charge trespassing if you refuse. Federal buildings are a different story, and then the usual schools, courthouses, prisons, secure areas of airports etc. Most of us just carry, and know the few places codified in state or federal law, then if a place has metal detectors either go back to the car and decide if you want to stash it, or go somewhere else.
    You can carry in a courthouse in PA. You have to declare to the deputy you have a firearm and need to secure it. By law they have lockers for you to store your firearm while you are in a courthouse.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Since this thread is open I’ll ask here. Anyone know about CC in the David L Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh? Can’t find anything online

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom