• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    Are there any CCW courses in the Baltimore County (or nearby) areas that are particularly good for seniors?

Not sure what would make them better for older folks other than a calmer, more patient instructor who speaks loudly.

My mother suddenly wants a carry permit. Partly because Baltimore County is getting more dangerous by the day. But mostly because she just wants to give a middle finger to the state legislature and boost the numbers of permit holders to make it a larger voting block.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Just being older and hopefully retired, just being able to go during the week will most likely result in smaller class size and less intense pace.

I have yet to meet a firearms instructor that speaks timidly. :)

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not being smart alec .
    What sort of flexibility or accommodation are desired , specifically ? Ability to stand firmly & steadily on her own without touching or leaning , for say 15- 20 minutes at a time ?

Does Mom have particular limitations beyond the usual creaks of average 70- something ?

Does Mom have any previous shooting experience , or absolute total beginner ?

Hypothetical spitballing

Allows .22lr for qual
    Allows starting gun in hand
    Does minimal round count to actually Qual.

Ie Doesn't have their own requirements for arbitrary high(er) round counts , or allows opting out .

Doesn't have drilling of holster draws and presentations , or allows opting out .

What I'm generally getting at is minimum spec to recieve a piece of paper .

What that also entails is that after her meeting the Poll Tax , it is your duty to school her in additional skills and knowledge suitable for her abilities and requirements yourself ( or with a knowledgeable friend / MDS buddie ) assisting as appropriate .

But you can do the follow on skills at her pace , within her stamina and limitations , in chunks if needed .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My question about Mom would be if she has the WILLINGNESS to use it when needed. Wanting to have a gun but knowing if one would actually use it is 2 different things. Mom is not going to win a weapon retention fight.

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    Not being smart alec .
    What sort of flexibility or accommodation are desired , specifically ? Ability to stand firmly & steadily on her own without touching or leaning , for say 15- 20 minutes at a time ?

Does Mom have particular limitations beyond the usual creaks of average 70- something ?

Does Mom have any previous shooting experience , or absolute total beginner ?

Hypothetical spitballing

Allows .22lr for qual
    Allows starting gun in hand
    Does minimal round count to actually Qual.

Ie Doesn't have their own requirements for arbitrary high(er) round counts , or allows opting out .

Doesn't have drilling of holster draws and presentations , or allows opting out .

What I'm generally getting at is minimum spec to recieve a piece of paper .

What that also entails is that after her meeting the Poll Tax , it is your duty to school her in additional skills and knowledge suitable for her abilities and requirements yourself ( or with a knowledgeable friend / MDS buddie ) assisting as appropriate .

But you can do the follow on skills at her pace , within her stamina and limitations , in chunks if needed .

So mom decided she is doing it. Nothing I say will stop her. I asked the question to see if I could nudge her in the right direction.

As far as how being old impacts the course.... it's more about the instruction style.

If an instructor goes high tech with iPads passed out to review the presentation it'll lose a lot of older folks (just an example). Or someone who won't complain if the class wants to talk about how everything was better when Kennedy was president.

I don't even know what would make a class more senior oriented. That is what I was asking.

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    My question about Mom would be if she has the WILLINGNESS to use it when needed. Wanting to have a gun but knowing if one would actually use it is 2 different things. Mom is not going to win a weapon retention fight.
    No foolin'. This is a conversation I have had with her for many years.

She gets it when it comes to home defense. (Finally)

She won't actually carry outside the house when she gets her permit. She just wants it because democrats told her she shouldn't.

It can also come in handy to give her more flexibility to make a stop on the way home from the range and such.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I instructed a 75+yo, It was an experience for both of us. Biggest take is where and when do you think you will carry.
    She goes to a range and is more concerned about getting stopped with a firearm in the car. A permit eases her concerns.

I don’t judge and she doesn’t need a good and substantial reason.

She has her permit.

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    I instructed a 75+yo, It was an experience for both of us. Biggest take is where and when do you think you will carry.
    She goes to a range and is more concerned about getting stopped with a firearm in the car. A permit eases her concerns.

I don’t judge and she doesn’t need a good and substantial reason.

She has her permit.
    This guy understands

Gun Commander

Industry Partner
    Jan 13, 2023
    Arnold, MD
    Are there any CCW courses in the Baltimore County (or nearby) areas that are particularly good for seniors?

Not sure what would make them better for older folks other than a calmer, more patient instructor who speaks loudly.

My mother suddenly wants a carry permit. Partly because Baltimore County is getting more dangerous by the day. But mostly because she just wants to give a middle finger to the state legislature and boost the numbers of permit holders to make it a larger voting block.

Come see me! She’ll be in good hands. I have a small student to instructor ratio and everyone leaves confident. Visit my website and check us out:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom