• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    if there’s an incident since, justified or not, you’re leaving the scene in cuffs.
    That is not always true. Not even in MD.

There was that huge case a couple years back where the drunk guy tried to break into some dude's house and the homeowner shot him

The homeowner didn't even leave his house that night. Police took his statement and left. No charges filed.

It's certainly possible. But it is not a guarantee.

Even if they do cuff you while they secure the scene, that is not an arrest. If they cuff you and take you away from the scene that is an arrest. They need to have a crime to arrest and book you.

If it's a cut and dry self defense shooting with numerous witnesses that point to you as the good guy, you probably aren't getting arrested. Detained while the cops sort things out....sure. But odds are you are going home that night directly from the scene. A prosecutor may drum up charges and serve you with an arrest warrant later, but that is a different story.

Exception.... Montgomery County. Logic and laws seem to have no bearing there. You could be shot 25 times but if you so much as pull your gun out you may be immediately tossed on death row and executed that night without trial because you were within 1022.4 meters of both a school and a state park.

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    While I was researching the offerings, I realized I should have had this insurance, if that’s what you want to call it, for years - simply because my guns are primarily for self defense in the home, up until a few days ago.

Gmp012

Mar 7, 2016
    Having CCW insurance is always a good back up plan and goes hand in hand with CCW. God forbid you ever need to use your gun, but if you do, in this area, better to have than have not.

You DO NOT want to be carrying in Maryland without some kind of insurance. Our justice department will absolutely destroy your life and use you as an example.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Here's the thing... As dangerous as the world is, it is still pretty unlikely we will individually be in a situation where we need to defend it lives. So... We carry guns to protect ourselves against low probability events. This is helping to insure our lives. It is also helping to insure our rights.

CCW insurance is not low cost, running something like $200-500/year. For an extremely low probability event. Even if you have to shoot someone (has anyone on this forum, outside of war, had to do that?) There is no certainty that you will be spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on legal fees. I suspect these companies have very solid bottom lines.

So, for that same amount of money per year you could buy a good amount of ammo, decent belt and holster system. Maybe a new gun. Perhaps some training. All of which might be better suited to the primary thing you are insuring... Your life. Heck... Upgrading your fire extinguishers and smoke alarms would likely provide more safety. Or fixing the loose step in to the basement.

That said, peace of mind matters too. Buy the insurance if you can afford it and if it makes you feel better. There is a very small chance it could pay off. I just don't see it as something that is a must.

Life is a gamble. I'd bet everything I own on four kings and an ace in poker. It's pretty unlikely, but even that is not a guaranteed hand.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Here's the thing... As dangerous as the world is, it is still pretty unlikely we will individually be in a situation where we need to defend it lives. So... We carry guns to protect ourselves against low probability events. This is helping to insure our lives. It is also helping to insure our rights.

CCW insurance is not low cost, running something like $200-500/year. For an extremely low probability event. Even if you have to shoot someone (has anyone on this forum, outside of war, had to do that?) There is no certainty that you will be spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on legal fees. I suspect these companies have very solid bottom lines.

So, for that same amount of money per year you could buy a good amount of ammo, decent belt and holster system. Maybe a new gun. Perhaps some training. All of which might be better suited to the primary thing you are insuring... Your life. Heck... Upgrading your fire extinguishers and smoke alarms would likely provide more safety. Or fixing the loose step in to the basement.

That said, peace of mind matters too. Buy the insurance if you can afford it and if it makes you feel better. There is a very small chance it could pay off. I just don't see it as something that is a must.

Life is a gamble. I'd bet everything I own on four kings and an ace in poker. It's pretty unlikely, but even that is not a guaranteed hand.
    Unlikely that you'll ever have to fight to retain your weapon with someone grabbing for it, but you don't put a $500 pistol in a $100 holster on a $12 belt.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Unlikely that you'll ever have to fight to retain your weapon with someone grabbing for it, but you don't put a $500 pistol in a $100 holster on a $12 belt.
    I'm not sure where you are going... But...
    I put my $500 ($600 maybe? P365) pistol in a $60 holster with a $60 belt. Is it the $12 belt you don't like? I don't get what you are saying.

What * I * am saying is that CCW insurance is insuring against a low probability event. Insure if you want. If you don't you will probably be ok. But sometimes life throws snake eyes.

Personally I was going to buy insurance but I think the bigger risk to me is dieing of a heart attack, so I may instead put that money towards a gym membership. In February, after the new years resolution folks burn out.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'm not sure where you are going... But...
    I put my $500 ($600 maybe? P365) pistol in a $60 holster with a $60 belt. Is it the $12 belt you don't like? I don't get what you are saying.

What * I * am saying is that CCW insurance is insuring against a low probability event. Insure if you want. If you don't you will probably be ok. But sometimes life throws snake eyes.

Personally I was going to buy insurance but I think the bigger risk to me is dieing of a heart attack, so I may instead put that money towards a gym membership. In February, after the new years resolution folks burn out.
    What I am saying is a $12 dollar belt will hold your holster, until that low probability weapon retention incident happens, then you wish you had a decent belt when it failed to hold the holster and pistol.

I think a $12 dollar gym membership is a fail point when one can watch what they eat, take a 20 minute walk everyday and stave off a cardiac event. I don't think everyone needs to go to the gym when there alternatives, but I think everyone who carries a gun needs insurance, because there is no alternative.
    Maybe you aren't clear on exactly what these companies provide. Or maybe you have a cool mil or 2 in the bank to pay off a civil judgment, most don't. It's worth the price of admission for everyone who has it.

I think I can say with 100 percent accuracy that everyone who has ever been in a shooting incident thought it is a low probability event and would never happen to them. Until it does. I train for the worst case scenario.

But I couldn't care less what you do :)

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Using a firearm in self-defense is a very low risk scenario, but it has become an order of magnitude more likely over the past few years.

That said, the expense of mounting a defense and coming up with bail is, relatively speaking, astronomical. That being the case, a relatively high premium is necessary to keep the insurer viable. And I don't think that a premium under $200/yr is excessive.

If you never leave your house armed, you probably don't need insurance. A home invasion scenario would be unlikely to result in serious consequences, unless you are a bloodthirsty idiot.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Is this the CCW Safe plan that most people are going with?

E94AF500-4A1C-4249-809E-BE47B7E4FA03.png

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living

This is who I use as well
    I got insurance I’ll need a lawyer. I carry spray too and it appears they will help with ANY self defense issue that does not have to be gun related.

A much more likely occurrence.

I called them while making a trip out of state and the service was good.

In MD they DBA “Texas Law Sheild”:shrug:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The Protector plan is probably the best if you qualify. $16 a month and then get the $1,000,000 civil liability coverage for 20 a month.

"The Protector Plan is available to active/retired military or law enforcement officers, and honorably discharged military veterans. Members must either carry pursuant to HR218 for Law Enforcement or have a Concealed Carry permit."

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I just got an email from CCCWSafe they are adding benefits at no charge and to expect an email in 24 hours.

Other than one mailing with my cards and an email every month paid, they don’t bombard you with junk.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I just got an email from CCCWSafe they are adding benefits at no charge and to expect an email in 24 hours.

Other than one mailing with my cards and an email every month paid, they don’t bombard you with junk.
    Yea I got the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom