• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • britishjohnhall

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a cheap starter shotgun scope. This will be my first season hunting(deer). I am just looking for something that will get me started, it is very unlikely that I will be shooting past 100 yards on my first kill. If anyone has one for sale let me know. I'm looking in the $50 range (remember I said cheap:))

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I think you would be better off spending more. Buy once cry once. Cheap scope on a .22 is one thing, putting it on a shotgun..... well only one good thing can happen, and plenty of bad things. It can work fine, for how long, who knows? It can work at the range and then fail your first time in the woods. In low light you will hate that POS. I would rather use irons or the bead and keep shots under 75 yds., than to rely on a cheap scope that I know I don't trust.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    $50.00 is expensive to me LOL.

I don't own a rifle scope over $35.00 here. I have them cheapo walmart scopes on all of my Muzzleloaders and other slug guns. Most of these scopes have been on my guns for many years with no issues.

If you put a cheap $30.00 scope on a 12 gauge slug gun you'll be fine. You do not have to buy a scope that says "shotgun". A "rifle" scope on a shotgun works just as well.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I think you would be better off spending more. Buy once cry once. Cheap scope on a .22 is one thing, putting it on a shotgun..... well only one good thing can happen, and plenty of bad things. It can work fine, for how long, who knows? It can work at the range and then fail your first time in the woods. In low light you will hate that POS. I would rather use irons or the bead and keep shots under 75 yds., than to rely on a cheap scope that I know I don't trust.

Agreed.

"Buy once. Cry once."

Just because someone gets lucky with a cheap scope, that doesn't mean that everyone will.

I've got several Nikon 2-7x32mm scopes on both slug guns and muzzleloaders.
    This is a NICE piece of glass that WORKS.

They're about $129 - $169 depending on where and when you buy.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Agreed.

"Buy once. Cry once."

Just because someone gets lucky with a cheap scope, that doesn't mean that everyone will.

I've got several Nikon 2-7x32mm scopes on both slug guns and muzzleloaders.
    This is a NICE piece of glass that WORKS.

They're about $129 - $169 depending on where and when you buy.

Well, here's the thing fellows. I have owned much more expensive scopes ( $100.00 + ) and found two things to be fact from personal experience:

One -
    Cheap scopes "see" as well as more expensive scopes. I am not talking out to several hundred yards. I am staying within the realm of what the OP is asking for at 100 yards or less.

Two -
    I have had to replace my more expensive scopes with cheaper scopes because of glass fractures or some other issues.

Now if I had to buy a really nice scope that I thought was worth owning is the Tru-Glo compact. My buddy bought one for his 12 gauge Remington slug gun and I will admit it is a nice scope for about $60.00, but, I have no need to pay that much for a new scope for a shotgun.

So, with my experience, the same red highlighted statement holds true 100% for more expensive scopes as well.

byf43

Well, here's the thing fellows. I have owned much more expensive scopes ( $100.00 + ) and found two things to be fact from personal experience:

One -
    Cheap scopes "see" as well as more expensive scopes. I am not talking out to several hundred yards. I am staying within the realm of what the OP is asking for at 100 yards or less.

Two -
    I have had to replace my more expensive scopes with cheaper scopes because of glass fractures or some other issues.

Now if I had to buy a really nice scope that I thought was worth owning is the Tru-Glo compact. My buddy bought one for his 12 gauge Remington slug gun and I will admit it is a nice scope for about $60.00, but, I have no need to pay that much for a new scope for a shotgun.

So, with my experience, the same red highlighted statement holds true 100% for more expensive scopes as well.

That's why there are so many different scopes/mounts/rings, as there are ice cream flavors.

Everybody doesn't like the same things.

I own exactly ONE Tasco scope. I paid $99 for it, 30 years ago.
    It works very well, on my seldom fired .22.

I own exactly ONE Bushnell scope. (It's an early BDC scope!) I paid $89 for it, 28 years ago.
    It works very well, on my .30-'06. (That rifle has been fired less than 100 times, since I bought it, in 1985, for $250.00.)

I also know a guy that put a cheap "NCStar" scope on his 1895G. It lasted TWO rounds!!!

I know a guy that put a cheap Tasco scope on his 1895SS. It lasted 10 rounds!!!

I'm not a betting man. I now buy quality glass.

Buy once. Cry once.

Yugo. Pinto. Vega. They were cheap cars. They didn't last very long, either.

Caveat Emptor. (Buyer Beware.)

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Yugo. Pinto. Vega. They were cheap cars. They didn't last very long, either.

Caveat Emptor. (Buyer Beware.)
    beg to differ, pintos and vegas are still running down the dragstrip today. how dare you compare a pinto to a walmart scope:D

I will give you the yugo and plymoth arrow....

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Cheap scopes and heavy recoil (like slug guns) don't mix. Shift in zero is not a good thing when the result could be a wounded animal. Hunting scopes also have to endure bad weather and be useable in low light conditions. Cheap scopes fail there too.

I would rather put a better scope on a cheaper gun if I had to. But that's just me.

byf43

beg to differ, pintos and vegas are still running down the dragstrip today. how dare you compare a pinto to a walmart scope:D

I will give you the yugo and plymoth arrow....

Picky.... picky...... picky.............. :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Speaking of Pinto(s)....... local used car lot had a '77/'78 Pinto (white) w/ a BIG hood scoop and some WIDE 'ground-grippers' on the back and some 'bicycle tires' on the front, for sale, a couple of months ago.

It sold.
    Some guy is scootin' around "The 'Dorf" in that thang. (Sounds like a 351!)

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    You can get decent deals on name brands like Bushnell and Redfield. Cheap stuff is OK for 22's and such but I have never had a Tasco or NCStar hold up on any of my real guns. Barska has beel OK on my daughters 45 muzzleloader. I have a FM on my pimptactiular Wal Mart Rem 7400 and will see if it lasts.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I own exactly ONE Bushnell scope. (It's an early BDC scope!) I paid $89 for it, 28 years ago.
    It works very well, on my .30-'06. (That rifle has been fired less than 100 times, since I bought it, in 1985, for $250.00.)

Simillar thing here, I have an older Bushnell with the BDC on a 30-06 bought around the same time. Works very well.

I have a Bushnell that came on a cheap ML from around 2004 that once in the woods gathers so little light, I may as well taped a toilet paper roll on it. It and the ML collects dust now. I don't go all out and spend crazy on optics, my newest and most expensive one is a Nikon on a TC ML. Binos too, I made the mistake off buying cheap from Wal Mart and now am looking for a replacement.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I put a Truglo red dot on my 870 Super Mag, it still works and was less than $50. I've put a couple hundred shells through the gun, even used it in the second Langhorne Zombie Shoot.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I have a 50 dollar bushnell shotgun scope I got for free. Its not bad and was 50 bucks retail. No rings or mount but its yours if you'll pick up, stand by for pics....

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Cheap scopes and heavy recoil (like slug guns) don't mix. Shift in zero is not a good thing when the result could be a wounded animal. Hunting scopes also have to endure bad weather and be useable in low light conditions. Cheap scopes fail there too.

I would rather put a better scope on a cheaper gun if I had to. But that's just me.

I have taken a lot of Deer over the years with my cheap $24.99 scopes and my slug guns. I guess I just get the really good ones. Same thing applies with my Muzzleloaders. I also had a Bushnell on my Knight Wolverine back in the day. That was $90.00 scope back then. I got replaced after not quite two years with $24.00 scope and that is scope is still going strong today. The guy who has owed the gun for the past 8 years is still killing Deer with the same gun and the same scope.

I guess scopes are like throwing darts in the dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom