• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    BSA 2.5x 20mm deerhunter scope

40 bucks from Walmart. Low magnification with duplex reticle. fast and good eye relief.
    This scope still sits on my slug gun. No problems. It holds zero.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    BSA 2.5x 20mm deerhunter scope

40 bucks from Walmart. Low magnification with duplex reticle. fast and good eye relief.
    This scope still sits on my slug gun. No problems. It holds zero.

I'll agree with that. If you can't see a Deer inside of a 2 or 4 power scope then that Deer is too far away for your scope to begin with.

Last edited:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

I'll agree with that. If you can't see a Deer inside of a 2 or 4 power scope then that Deer is too far away for your slug gun to begin with.

I disagree.

I would have NO problem using my 870 slug gun out to 150 to 200 yards.
    It's 'that' accurate.

Magnification can/is used to help pick "the spot" that you want to hit, not just seeing the deer.

You and I are going to have to agree to disagree on scopes. I don't (and won't) use 'cheap' glass on anything other than maybe on a .22lr and I don't use that to hunt with.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I disagree.

I would have NO problem using my 870 slug gun out to 150 to 200 yards.
    It's 'that' accurate.

Magnification can/is used to help pick "the spot" that you want to hit, not just seeing the deer.

You and I are going to have to agree to disagree on scopes. I don't (and won't) use 'cheap' glass on anything other than maybe on a .22lr and I don't use that to hunt with.

What kind of scope do you have on that 870 slug gun ? 3-9X40 ?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    byf43 beat me to the punch.

You can't beat the Nikon Pro-Staff in 2x7. Many a Bambi have fallen due to this fine scope.

Mine is mounted on an NEF single shot, heavy barreled , slug gun in 20 gauge.

Using Remington Copper Solids (290 grains), I took a deer broadside at 85 yards. It was damn near dark, but the crosshairs become an odd golden color.

Bang-Drop

Buy One!!!

byf43

byf43 beat me to the punch.

You can't beat the Nikon Pro-Staff in 2x7. Many a Bambi have fallen due to this fine scope.

Mine is mounted on an NEF single shot, heavy barreled , slug gun in 20 gauge.

Using Remington Copper Solids in 5/8 ounce weight, I took a deer broadside at 85 yards. It was damn near dark, but the crosshairs become an odd golden color.

Buy One!!!

I've got Nikon scopes on several rifles and shotguns.
    While nowhere as expensive as a Nightforce or Swarovski, or even Leupold VX-III, they are really good 'glass'!!

They are very recoil resistant. .45-70; 12 ga slugs. No problem!

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Nikon ProStaff. 2-7x32mm.
    Same on T/C Triumph .50 and T/C Omega .50 muzzleloaders.

With the 870 slug gun, I would not hesitate to take a 150 to 200 yard shot.
    We use Winchester "Partition Gold" (SSP12) sabot slugs in that 870. Awesome slug!

may want to check but i think they discontinued those for a different model of partition.

byf43

may want to check but i think they discontinued those for a different model of partition.

I think you're right.
    I've still got 3 or 4 boxes of these.

The 'newest' ones that I saw/bought says that the velocity is 1,725 fps, for the 2-3/4".
    As soon as these 'barn-burners' are gone, we'll start using the slower slugs.

I could not believe what those slugs did to that 7 pt that my son shot.
    Amazing!!
    The bullet drop from 100 to 135 yards was less than 1"!!!

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Wise suggestion above for a fixed-power scope. They are lighter, more rugged, and less expensive.

IMHO, high power is over-rated. You add weight while giving up brightness, FOV, and low profile. I have a 2.5x on my .308 scout rifle and would not hesitate to take 200yd. shots at deer-sized game.

Bottom line I'm trying to convey is to buy the best scope you can afford. Expensive scopes also fail...but the probability is lower than what you get with cheaper ones. Good luck all!

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Nikon ProStaff. 2-7x32mm.
    Same on T/C Triumph .50 and T/C Omega .50 muzzleloaders.

My point exactly. The OP stated, "very unlikely that I will be shooting past 100 yards".

I said, "2 to 4 power scope".

The point of my statement was, "If you can't see a Deer inside of a 2 or 4 power scope then that Deer is too far away for your scope to begin with."

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Wise suggestion above for a fixed-power scope. They are lighter, more rugged, and less expensive.

IMHO, high power is over-rated. You add weight while giving up brightness, FOV, and low profile. I have a 2.5x on my .308 scout rifle and would not hesitate to take 200yd. shots at deer-sized game.

Bottom line I'm trying to convey is to buy the best scope you can afford. Expensive scopes also fail...but the probability is lower than what you get with cheaper ones. Good luck all!

The interesting thing is, I do have a couple of cheapo walmart $30.00 scopes that are 3-9 X 40, and you know, I have them all set at 4X. Sorta defeats the purpose when you can just buy a fixed 4X and be done.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    I use Nikon scopes on my slug gun and muzzleloader. And leupolds on my hunting rifles. I have had a cheap scope cost me a nice buck several years ago. I've been really impressed with the quailty of Nikon scopes.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I have a 4x Tasco I bought new in 1985 for $20 on my Win .30-30 where it's resided ever since. It's done all I've asked of it and was all I could afford at the time. I've thought about replacing it a few times, but the practical side of me has found no reason to do it.

I've killed numerous deer with it over the years, my daughter has used it on two deer including her first , and my nephew took his first with it too. It works.

That said, if it breaks tomorrow, the rifle will probably get a bit-better-quality 4x (although they aren't as easy to find anymore) or a low magnification variable like the 2-7x mentioned above.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have a 4x Tasco I bought new in 1985 for $20 on my Win .30-30 where it's resided ever since. It's done all I've asked of it and was all I could afford at the time. I've thought about replacing it a few times, but the practical side of me has found no reason to do it.

I've killed numerous deer with it over the years, my daughter has used it on two deer including her first , and my nephew took his first with it too. It works.

That said, if it breaks tomorrow, the rifle will probably get a bit-better-quality 4x (although they aren't as easy to find anymore) or a low magnification variable like the 2-7x mentioned above.

I guess I will take a moment to clarify my thinking on cheaper scope ownership. I know I have debated for many years the reason I own cheap $30.00 WalMart scopes and I have stated the why's and how-come's before, but, for clarification to everyone else, I will state it again so we all understand I am not against more expensive scopes and I don't think people who buy them are complete idiots. It's not like that at all.

Here's the thing. I hunt on my farm as I have for the past 35 years and I don't have to shoot more than about 50-60 yards on the field, and in most 95% of the cases, I don't have to shoot more than 15 yards at a Deer in the woods, therefore, I don't need a $200 scope to see 100 feet. I also can not hunt with a rifle here in Maryland, so, I have no need to install a $200.00 scope on a shotgun or a Muzzleloader since I have no need to shoot 200 yards.

A cheap 4 power scope is way more than adequate for my needs and the optics are plenty clear to see the crosshairs in the glass. If it were not for needing the crosshairs , as an aiming device, I would not even use a scope at all, but, it is a living breathing animal and not a sheet of paper with a circle on it, so, I am not going to allow myself to shoot at an animal with open sights if I don't have to.

Now, am I against more expensive scopes and do I think you're an idiot for paying all that money ? NO.

If you have the ability to shoot 200+ yards or can use a rifle, then I am all about using a better quality scope that you can see that far with. Do you need to pay $500.00 for a scope to shoot 200+ yards ? Now that's getting silly. Unless you got the money to piss away. Rock on soldier.

Albiet, some guys are simply the type that have to keep up with the Jones', or make an effort to impress others, with their equipment in the public eye. I am not that guy. My $30.00 scopes on my Muzzleloaders and slug gun with all the recoil in the world is more than enough for my tasks. I don't care about how clear the optics are. As long as I can see what I'm aiming at in a 50 yards distance. I don't care how much recoil a scope can handle. Unless it proves otherwise a failure. I don't give a rats ass if you own a $500.00 scope on a $200.00 gun. As long as you're happy.

I have a buddy who is a grand Elk hunter and travels out west for that game several times a year. He owns a 300 WinMag and has to be able to hit a 15" circle at 200 yards and he has a $75.00 scope that is 12 power. I can't even see the 6" target he is shooting at, at 200 yards with my little scope, but, I'm not trying to shoot an Elk at 200 yards with a 20 Ga. Rossi Slug gun either. My point and opinions come from my circumstances. Based on the same proverbial fact that you don't take a knife to a gun fight.

Same buddy also has a $500.00 muzzleloader with a $100.00 scope and we both sight in at 50 yards. My little used $125.00 Rossi muzzleloader and a $25.00 NC Star rifle scope shoots better groups than his more expensive setup. I won't even try to explain the reason for this, but, you can bet your ass that "more expensive" isn't going to make you a better shooter. Get my point ? Ponder that fact.

You buy and use what is required for your specific needs and situation. Unless, of course, you have need to keep up with the Jones' or simply have to show off what you own. That's your business. I don't really care.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Last year, just for the hell of it, I mounted my Nikon 14.5 power scope on my 20 gauge slug gun.

Where I hunt and for whatever reason, Bambi does not present him/herself until 15 minutes past sunset. One came within 65-70 yards and it was down to the wire time wise. To the naked eye it was nothing, but a dark shape against a dark field.

That 14.5 magnification allowed me to zoom in on its vitals and to this day I swear I could see individually colored hairs and the outline and shadows and contours of its shoulder. I was standing when I took the shot. It set out on a 40 yard death run until she gave up the ghost.

I would not have risked that shot with a 2 or 4 power scope.

P.S. Come on October 17th.

Last edited:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Last year, just for the hell of it, I mounted my Nikon 14.5 power scope on my 20 gauge slug gun.

Where I hunt and for whatever reason, Bambi does not present him/herself until 15 minutes past sunset. One came within 65-70 yards and it was down to the wire time wise. To the naked eye it was nothing, but a dark shape against a dark field.

That 14.5 magnification allowed me to zoom in on its vitals and to this day I swear I could see individually colored hairs and the outline and shadows and contours of its shoulder. I was standing when I took the shot. It set out on a 40 yard death run until she gave up the ghost.

I would not have risked that shot with a 2 or 4 power scope.

P.S. Come on October 17th.

Might be true, but, at only 15 minutes past Sunset I can still see half way across the world with the naked eye. At that early time of the evening a 4 power scope is more than adequate at that distance. Your timing and distance doesn't fly with me and my experience.

byf43

Might be true, but, at only 15 minutes past Sunset I can still see half way across the world with the naked eye. At that early time of the evening a 4 power scope is more than adequate at that distance. Your timing and distance doesn't fly with me and my experience.

Everyone is different.

Since I scratched the _ _it out of my right eye, I don't have the same vision that I did, 20 years ago.
    Not everyone has the eyes of an eagle at/near sunset.

Where we hunt, the deer are most active and come to the soybean and corn fields about 15-20 minutes after sunset. That leaves 10-15 minutes of LEGAL shooting time. (I"ve field dressed more than one deer by flashlight, or headlights on either the truck or the John Deere tractor!)

A bright scope can turn a 'shutout' into a successful hunt.

The ultimate bottom line is this.........

Buy and use what "YOU" find is 'right', because I can guarantee that I will.
    I won't use a cheap or inexpensive scope on my arms.

YMMV.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Everyone is different.

Since I scratched the _ _it out of my right eye, I don't have the same vision that I did, 20 years ago.
    Not everyone has the eyes of an eagle at/near sunset.

PS - I WEAR GLASSES. I UNDERSTAND.

Where we hunt, the deer are most active and come to the soybean and corn fields about 15-20 minutes after sunset. That leaves 10-15 minutes of LEGAL shooting time. I have the problem with my Deer. This why I don't bother getting to the farm until an hour before dark. Otherwise I'm just setting there for no reason if I am field hunting. ( I've field dressed more than one deer by flashlight, or headlights on either the truck or the John Deere tractor! ) The point is, you and I both play the same game under the same rules.

A bright scope can turn a 'shutout' into a successful hunt.

The ultimate bottom line is this.........

Buy and use what "YOU" find is 'right', because I can guarantee that I will.
    I won't use a cheap or inexpensive scope on my arms.

YMMV.

That's been my whole point all along.

Sucks don't it ? LOL I don't know that I have been able to dress a Deer in the day light. I'm mostly an afternoon hunter and I can not honestly recall ever getting a Deer on a Morning hunt. Flashlight dressing is all I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tse3gbs

Latest threads

Top Bottom