• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    You've established a baseline. Now just need to improve in both the speed and accuracy departments. But at least you are working on measurable goals.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Your target was not man size for one so don't sweat it. Most likely, if you need to draw and fire, it will be up close and personnel. No aiming required.
    Your draw seems pretty good, and if you had upper torso targets, pointed to center mass, your speed will increase. Good work and I like your range

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Am I the only one who likes watching slyitry videos here for the very candid presentation? And he didn't try to sell me anything.
    You are absolutely correct! I just wanted to challenge myself by aiming for a smaller target.
    Get the accuracy without the timer first, then add time pressure, decreasing your par until you start to lose accuracy.

As others have said, 11 yard headshots under the stress of a life threatening encounter may be a bit beyond a "first time going live concealed" goal.

soco

May 21, 2012
    Definitely jealous of your range. Practice is obviously the most important facet of carry, and it's something I am sorely deficient on (one of the reasons I don't yet carry, even with my permit. Much more of a long-gun guy).

Keep up the good fight, I'm glad to know there's one more competent carrier out there.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Am I the only one who likes watching slyitry videos here for the very candid presentation? And he didn't try to sell me anything.

Get the accuracy without the timer first, then add time pressure, decreasing your par until you start to lose accuracy.

As others have said, 11 yard headshots under the stress of a life threatening encounter may be a bit beyond a "first time going live concealed" goal.
    You are absolutely correct! I just wanted to challenge myself by aiming for a smaller target.

I am no PRO shooter and certainly no pro at concealed, drawing from holster to fire in a timed fashion.
    I am experienced at aiming small, missing small, but this has been over a lifetime of shooting when it wasn't necessary to make a fast shot or lose the chance scenario. In other words, I mostly practiced target practice for hunting deer. Also, plinking with 22's and other tests of my accuracy. I never really practiced for both speed and accuracy, as I never considered ever being able to legally carry in Maryland.

I have now begun to gear up and practice for carry permit qualification and actual self defense situations.
    Having begun, I had some really good instruction to get myself off on the right foot.

Your video is a great job. I definitely would not have confidence enough to film my results. However, if I had 2- 10 sessions of results I was happy with, I might try to duplicate the results while filming myself.

My take-away from my efforts during my instructional session was that the most important factor in accuracy with handguns is good form as far as grip/arm position/breath control, in handling the weapon. Also, using the same plus muscle memory for follow up shots. Basically having the goal in mind without putting much effort into precise aiming but like others have said, center mass.

My goal is that if I can get good results with average speed while making repeat shots over a succession of several magazines, muscle memory yields imprinting the habits of good form. Then both speed and accuracy can only improve from that point on. If we don't begin with the proper form, but instead practice and imprint poor habits, then we have to unlearn the bad before we can be at our best.

Good luck and enjoy your practicing. slyitry

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I like watching slyitry's stuff because it's simple and transparent. Good and bad. Limited to no editing. Just a guy and a gun.

Keep shooting.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Is the O P the guy in the video?

Why is he wearing a mask/face covering

I can't read his mind .

Could be covid paranoia
    Could be bad allergy in ragweed season
    Could be a cold day

Could be he's being discreet about his day job , church ladies at his church , anti gun relatives , etc , and he doesn't have a cameraperson to keep framed on his body and hand , or he's not editing savy enough to do the witness protection blurring thing .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom