• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Just about perfect timing for leaves in that area most years. Did you go all the way to BAld Knob on the train? I sometimes pull the camper over to Blackwater Falls....spectacular any time of year. After getting separated in 2001, I joined up with a local Christian Singles group for several yearsand we use to camp at Blackwater the 2nd or 3rd weekend of Oct every year. Beautiful, fun, but sometimes pretty cold at night...the better to burn a big campfire! :)

One of my favorite views is Lindy Point. You can see where 2 of the rivers come together and continue on. It's just over a 1/2 mile in (and then the same out) from the road. Well worth visiting while you're there.

We goofed around too long in the morning before leaving for Cass, so we arrived late and took the trip up to Whittaker instead. Still, well worth it. We used to camp at Blackwater Falls a lot, 10-15 years ago, so we may well have been there the same time as you.

The most 'exciting' thing that ever happened to my wife and I was one night while in our tent at Blackwater Falls, a nuisance bear which had been frequenting the campground came right up to our tent... Our Golden Retriever was nose-to-nose with its shadow against our tent, growling at it. Needless to say, we didn't sleep very soundly that night. The next day, the bear was caught for relocation.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    We goofed around too long in the morning before leaving for Cass, so we arrived late and took the trip up to Whittaker instead. Still, well worth it. We used to camp at Blackwater Falls a lot, 10-15 years ago, so we may well have been there the same time as you.

The most 'exciting' thing that ever happened to my wife and I was one night while in our tent at Blackwater Falls, a nuisance bear which had been frequenting the campground came right up to our tent... Our Golden Retriever was nose-to-nose with its shadow against our tent, growling at it. Needless to say, we didn't sleep very soundly that night. The next day, the bear was caught for relocation.

Whittaker Staion makes for a nice train ride and some good scenery. I've taken that trip many times. However, the Bald Knob trip is very worth it just for the view when you get there. There's an observation platform from which you can do a 180 degree view looking up and down the valley including towards Greenbank. Spectacular!

Never had to deal directly with bears personally, but 5 or 6 years ago we had a group of us who rented the 2 cabins and Yurt at Deep Creek State Park which is near the periphery of the camping area. A couple with young kids left their cooler outside their tent (against park rules) and a bear came and dragged it away into the woods during the night and tore it apart. The next day, while the family was away, the bear returned and tore their tent and much camping gear to smithereens. Apparently the kids left candy and other munchies in the tent and the bear smelled it. They were in a site going up a spur towards the cabins and no more than 80 or so yards away, so we knew about it. Later my wife came in to inform me that there were 'cops running around with guns'. It was Natural Resources Police armed with shotguns with rubber buckshot the intent of which was to give the bear some 'aversion therapy'. At that time, the rule was to leave any food you had in your vehicle unless you had a hard sided camper. That, I think, worked well until a bear had the notion to break into and trash someones vehicle one night. Now the sites are all supplied with steel bear boxes which we've used the last 2 times there. My camper is a hard sided one, but I don't trust bears! It's easy enough to keep everything in a box outside the camper. Even the cooler!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom