• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    When you're talking corridor H, it's not so much planning as it is preparation.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No , he's making a pun about the hemeroid product "Preperation H " .

To be really obscure , back in the '70s there was an NHRA class H/MP car that was named Preparation H . It was unique for the day by being a Ford Maverick running a strieght six . The owner/ driver's day job was ...engineer at Ford.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Not planning to do so either, unless they get some Federal money.

Even so, I can be from Stephens City to Wardensville in what, 40 minutes?

Sounds about right. Going down 81 or going straight through Stephens City, making a left at the end of the road by the Powerlines then a right at the Lebanon church is nearly the same amount of time.

Corridor H hypothetically in my best guess would cut 10 to 15 minutes off the trip to Wardensville from a hypothetical 81 interchange

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    Sounds about right. Going down 81 or going straight through Stephens City, making a left at the end of the road by the Powerlines then a right at the Lebanon church is nearly the same amount of time.

Corridor H hypothetically in my best guess would cut 10 to 15 minutes off the trip to Wardensville from a hypothetical 81 interchange

Yep! Middle Rd to Marlboro Rd or vice versa. I forget.

I try to stop at Richard's, the apple orchard place.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I travel those roads often. on Corridor H, I get off Patterson Creek Road to head towards the Family Farm.

Always takes me 4 1/2 hours from Harford to Grant County no matter what time of day. I have the habit of making the same fuel/stretch/eat stop heading out, after Boyce at the Intersection of John Mosby Hwy, there's an all in one shell station, subway, baskin robbins. That's about halfway I suppose.

I love going out there, not much traffic except Harpers Ferry area sometimes, and the stop and go in the small VA towns.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    +2 ... me too.. home = Smoke Holes, WV

I always thought the stretch from Petersburg, past Seneca Rocks and over the Allegheny Mt to Pocahontas County on 28 had some of the best scenery in W VA. I love driving along and seeing Champ Rocks and often stop by the Seneca Rocks Visitor center. Been up to the rocks several times as well (hiking, not climbing). Used to occasionally stay over a night around Smoke Hole or sometimes a little further down. Was last in that area (on my way to Slatyfork, near Cass, WV) the end of May this year. Damn, if I didn't have a hunting camp work party Saturday, I might have drove over to Cass/Greenbank/Slatyfork this weekend. The trees should be either peak or just past peak in Pocahontas County as they usually are Columbus Day weekend.

Dfens42 - I'm pretty sure it is Richards I stopped at a few times some years back...is that the pick your own around Stephens City/Middletown?. Used to pick my apples to make homemade apple sauce and apple butter....and you had to be flying to make Elkins in 4hrs 10 min. Used to often stop at the Ka-ka-pon in Wardensville (1/2 way to Greenbank/Cass area)to eat. It used to be very good many years ago....now just mostly OK the last 2 times I stopped (last May and 3 or 4 years ago). I remember as a kid and young adult looking forward to fresh baked rolls and homemade pies as well as other homecooked stuff.

Years ago, I used to figure 6 hrs to get to the Greenbank, WV area, but after the roads and hwy exits were created to bypass Charles Town and Winchester, I could make it in 5-1/2. Corridor H gives me more good hwy to drive on, but I'm much more prone to make stops along the way in the years since that opened.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I've eaten at the Ka-ka-pon many times going through Wardensville. Been stopping there for 30+ years.

I think the first time I remember going there (with my parents) was when I was 11 or 12 years old or perhaps even younger - 45+ yrs ago. I hunted near Cass and Greenbank in the 1980's and early 1990's for several years in addition to visiting relations near Green Bank (Arbovale, WV is where my Dad was born - right next to GreenBank). I sometimes back then would eat at the Ka-Ka-pon 3 or 4 times a year when passing through. Love the area and miss seeing it as often as I used to. However, all my Dad's relations either left there when they became adults or they have passed. :( I still go back every 2 or 3 years to just visit the area plus a few of my Dad's first cousins and their kids (my second cousins usually have a mini-reunion every year when they all get together and stay in a couple of the old Cass Company Houses for a few days. Lot'sa reminiscing about the people who once lived there. Took my now adult kids there last May when my daughter was in from Texas. Road the Cass train to Bald Knob while we were there. Stayed at Elk River Inn Bed and Breakfast (highly recommended) in Slatyfork

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Smoke Hole Caverns shares the same mountain my relative's Farm is on. I'll probably be out that way the end of this month.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I'm a bit bias, but I also think that Dolly Sods area of WV has the best scenery. Its all stayed the same ever since I can remember besides a little residential and Corridor H

Harpers Ferry area has been built up, but once I go around the loop and get on 340 all the way into VA and back into WV to Grant County . Its all about the same as it was 20 years ago.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I was through Elkins yesterday visiting clients... The leaves are gorgeous throughout the state right now! :party29:

My wife and I spent 3 days in Elkins last weekend, taking day trips to Cass, Spruce Knob, Davis/Thomas, and Blackwater Falls. The road up to Spruce Knob was stunning. The rain held off for the most part, too, fortunately.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    My wife and I spent 3 days in Elkins last weekend, taking day trips to Cass, Spruce Knob, Davis/Thomas, and Blackwater Falls. The road up to Spruce Knob was stunning. The rain held off for the most part, too, fortunately.

Just about perfect timing for leaves in that area most years. Did you go all the way to BAld Knob on the train? I sometimes pull the camper over to Blackwater Falls....spectacular any time of year. After getting separated in 2001, I joined up with a local Christian Singles group for several yearsand we use to camp at Blackwater the 2nd or 3rd weekend of Oct every year. Beautiful, fun, but sometimes pretty cold at night...the better to burn a big campfire! :)

One of my favorite views is Lindy Point. You can see where 2 of the rivers come together and continue on. It's just over a 1/2 mile in (and then the same out) from the road. Well worth visiting while you're there.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I'm a bit bias, but I also think that Dolly Sods area of WV has the best scenery. Its all stayed the same ever since I can remember besides a little residential and Corridor H

Harpers Ferry area has been built up, but once I go around the loop and get on 340 all the way into VA and back into WV to Grant County . Its all about the same as it was 20 years ago.

I've always thought Thomas Jefferson was right about the view from Jefferson Rock being worth a trip across the ocean. I always loved driving across the bridges and looking up and down the rivers...but now you can't hardly do it for fear of rear ending someone while you're look (due to traffic).:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom