DC promises a ‘very, very robust’ police presence to maintain public safety over July 4 holiday

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • regulator

They just don't have the numbers anymore:

Staffing Report (June 2023): https://mpdc.dc.gov/sites/default/f...tent/attachments/Staffing_Report_JUN_2023.pdf (3,343 Officers, which includes 101 Recruit Officers.)
    Staffing and Attrition Report (Data as of May 31, 2023): https://mpdc.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/mpdc/publication/attachments/Staffing Attrition with Cover May 2023.pdf

These numbers are not correct. I retired on July 2nd last year. On that day alone, 22 people sworn and civillian left the department.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Now that weed is legal in Maryland, I’m sure the Baltimore Mayor will be serving snacks as well in order to tame the munchies. I’m sure that would have helped this past weekend with the 30 people shot at a single event.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Until they put, and keep, the animals doing the violence in jail, irrespective of their age, the violence will just continue. It's just that simple.
    Yup, this is what the Black man from Baltimore said while being interviewed by Fox 45 regarding the Party shooting, Mayor Eraser Head and Waste More's posturing statements. With them promising to "do all they can" to bring the suspects to justice, the pundit called out the elephant in the room.

Soft on crime Justice Dept and blaming the gun instead of the criminals track record.

My guess is if there is extra police presence in DC. Look for " staged" chaos there disguised as MAGA etc,

OR just good ol gang bangin fun in cities and streets where there is less police presence such as Bmore, Towson, Pigtown, Greenmount Ave, Phila, Westminster, Woodlawn etc.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My guess is if there is extra police presence in DC. Look for " staged" chaos there disguised as MAGA etc,
    Here's the trick. There's ALWAYS extra police presence in DC for Independence Day. It's basically all hands on deck for MPD, Park Police and Capitol Police (maybe Secret Service too) due to the events on the Mall. Given today's forecast the biggest issue will be heat injuries/ illness. The chaos will happen this evening, after dark, across the river.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes, God help the person who cannot decipher the parking signs in DC and gets ticketed, and or towed.

While an MPD Ofc theoretically * could * issue a parking ticket , they are primarily issued by the Parking Enforcement branch of Public Works , not the PD .

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    My old partner had 15 years on. 10 from collecting a pension, put his paperwork in 2 weeks ago. He literally had just gotten a 15% raise too. Decided police work in the capitol region was totally not worth the money.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Here's the trick. There's ALWAYS extra police presence in DC for Independence Day. It's basically all hands on deck for MPD, Park Police and Capitol Police (maybe Secret Service too) due to the events on the Mall. Given today's forecast the biggest issue will be heat injuries/ illness. The chaos will happen this evening, after dark, across the river.
    Good points.

Washingtonian just did a piece on MPD’s Harbor Patrol Unit as well: https://www.washingtonian.com/2023/06/30/meet-the-water-cops-who-ticket-drunk-boaters/

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    These numbers are not correct. I retired on July 2nd last year. On that day alone, 22 people sworn and civillian left the department.

If that’s the case, how is it that nobody is publicly disputing the accuracy of these released reports?

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    My old partner had 15 years on. 10 from collecting a pension, put his paperwork in 2 weeks ago. He literally had just gotten a 15% raise too. Decided police work in the capitol region was totally not worth the money.
    Less than 35 months to a full pension for me. I'm hoping I make it...

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    If that’s the case, how is it that nobody is publicly disputing the accuracy of these released reports?
    There’s probably that many but it’s unknown if they count those that are injured or revoked. Most people also think this is the “street number” but it doesn’t reflect all those sworn officers in admin style positions. At least I personally don’t think it does. Then take into account those on sick leave or scheduled leave and those on days off.

All that being said I think it’s going to be a very rough night for a few citizens and I hope whatever harm befalls them is recoverable. These large holiday events always leave a few unable to see tomorrow. I also don’t mean from police interaction.

Hoping for a safe night for everyone!!

Last edited:

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    There’s probably that many but it’s unknown if they count those that are injured or revoked. Most people also think this is the “street number” but it doesn’t reflect all those sworn officers in admin style positions. At least I personally don’t think it does. Then take into account those on sick leave or scheduled leave and those on days off.

All that being said I think it’s going to be a very rough night for a few citizens and I hope whatever harm befalls them is recoverable. These large holiday events always leave a few unable to see tomorrow.

Hoping for a safe night for everyone!!
    Good points.

This Report seems to give a pretty good breakdown of who’s staffed where (Admin/Street), but like you said it doesn’t account for sick/scheduled leave: https://mpdc.dc.gov/sites/default/f...tent/attachments/Staffing_Report_JUN_2023.pdf

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Where are the additional social workers who are supposed to replace police?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom