• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    new sight for me. travelling to WV on 68 yesterday, saw a dead bear on the side of the road on 68 on the east side of Sideling Hill. Looked to be a large one, guessing 350-400 lbs or so. Are bears making that much of a comeback they are becoming roadkill?

as a side note, I've run into 2 bears in the woods in my lifetime, both on Sideling Hill Mtn. so maybe that's just a great area for them.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Maryland reported between 40 and 80 road killed black bears each year, from 2007 to 2012. The numbers include the combination of Frederick, Washington, Allegheny and Garrett Counties.

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    I saw a good sized bear road kill almost 10 years ago on westbound 340 at the Rt. 67 interchange. It does take one aback to see a dead bear on the shoulder of the road.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    The Cumberland Times-News runs a bear report on Sunday's about bear road kills on I-68, usually there are several per week reported.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    What would happen if you were to stop and skin it? The last couple weeks I've seen 3 dead dear with the heads cut off. They must have had a pretty nice rack.

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    My brother in law stopped at fresh & good sized buck road kill and he asked the trooper at the scene if he could take the rack. The trooper told him if he wants the rack he had to take the whole deer.

DrCatt

A Knight Without Armor
    Mar 11, 2013
    Carroll County
    I believe you have to tag any head or whole deer you 'pick up.' Otherwise, the taxidermist won't accept it on the grounds that I could be an illegal harvest.

Anyway within 15 minutes of each other, I saw 2 large black bear on a friend's land in Adams County across the state line on Saturday. One was about 60 yards away too.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I drove through around 7:30 am and saw him in front of a State Trooper truck sprawled out on the right shoulder. Looked to be a yearling to me. No where near 400 lbs.

yep that was it. same time, same bear, diff opinions as to the size. my buddy and I both thought it looked like a large one, but I guess we coulda been wrong

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Big ears - small bear, small ears - big bear

buddy and I were so much in shock from saying "holy sh&* it's a BEAR!" that I have no idea if it had ears or not... lol apparently our eyes getting big as saucers caused our judgement of size to be off a little...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom