• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    Ad much as i like that it seems that we won something. I think frosh goes the en banc route and wins.

I think the rest of the judges will rule that ss doesn't need to be applied.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Just imagine if a certain side is elected POTUS and potentially appoints 4 SCOTUS Justices. Frosh would have no qualms heading to that stacked deck.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Ad much as i like that it seems that we won something. I think frosh goes the en banc route and wins.

I think the rest of the judges will rule that ss doesn't need to be applied.

En banc - doubtful the CA4 would overturn themselves.

SCOTUS - 50/50 either way

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    My favorite part:

"Our distinguished dissenting colleague asserts that we have imprudently and
    unnecessarily broken with our sister courts of appeal and infers that we
    will bear some responsibility for future mass shootings. In our view,
    inferences of this nature have no place in judicial opinions and we will not
    respond beyond noting this. The meaning of the Constitution does not depend
    on a popular vote of the circuits and it is neither improper nor imprudent
    for us to disagree with the other circuits addressing this issue. We are not
    a rubber stamp. We require strict scrutiny here not because it aligns with
    our personal policy preferences but because we believe it is compelled by
    the law set out in Heller and Chester."

This, in a nutshell, is the issue since Heller. Like it or not, firearm ownership is protected by the Bill of Rights. It is also a heavy shot at the dissenting judge. They are questioning his temperament and ability to apply the law in an even handed manner.

It's a very powerful statement and gives well-reasoned cover for other judges who might feel pressured by public opinion in the event someone might commit a heinous act after their opinion.

Ironically, trial judges release dangerous felons every day who then go on to commit worse crimes, without taking responsibility or giving it a second thought.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    So does this opinion issued from the circuit court invalidate the FSA 1023 law in part
    of ban of assault rifles and LCM??

Nothing is overturned at this point. All this ruling is is an order for the district to re-evaluate the case based on strict scrutiny instead of the much more lax intermediate scrutiny.

Basically, the state has to actually prove their case now instead of just waving their hands and saying "because we say so."

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    So does this opinion issued from the circuit court invalidate the FSA 1023 law in part
    of ban of assault rifles and LCM??

Opinion says

we vacate the district court’s order as to Plaintiffs’ Second Amendment challenge and remand for the court to apply strict scrutiny in the first instance.

o vacate a court order or judgment means to cancel it or render it null and void.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    Every year one of our allies files a bill to repeal FSA2013, I wonder if it would be to our advantage to shelve that this go around...anti-intuitive as it sounds.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    Just imagine if a certain side is elected POTUS and potentially appoints 4 SCOTUS Justices. Frosh would have no qualms heading to that stacked deck.
    I agree this election may determine this court case. So if frosh retries the case in district court then it may get to the scotus in 3 to 5 years. Some of the Supreme Court judge won't be there when this case gets to them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ar154u

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 23, 2015
    Now let's watch for a bill that says you may keep an AR15 in your home if you already own one, but you can never bring it outside the home for any reason.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    On Facebook, the main NRA account linked to the WaPo article and posted this:

A federal appeals court on Thursday struck down Maryland’s 2013 ban on "assault weapons" and high-capacity magazines. The ruling in this NRA-supported case sends a clear message to governments that try to restrict our Second Amendment freedoms!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    But no law was 'stricken'... this just goes back to as if the District hadn't done anything yet.
    Correct. All the Circuit did here was tell the District that they applied the wrong standard, the reasons why, and the standard they need to use.

It is theoretically possible the District could still rule against us, but the wording of this decision makes it nearly impossible to see how.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom