• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    If you're a Costco member, membership rules say you can't. There's no need for a sign or for them to explicitly stop and ask you every time. It's part of the membership agreement you agreed to. Penalty for doing it could be revoking membership and potential ban from Costco. They're a club, not public. If you're going into Costco and not a member... well, there's not much of a point to that is there?
    Oh FFS

:sad20:

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I think I'm going to OC at the Hanover Costco this weekend. Won't care if I get asked to leave because I generally don't like going there anyway, I am still working my way through the last pallet of mayonnaise.
    If they say anything, just look at them and "even if I'm on duty"?

LAC_MD

Oct 18, 2022
    Towson
    I would image some other jurisdictions where the MD permit is recognized if you carry in a Costco and are caught it could result in your arrest and your permit being revoked.. Personally I am happy to learn they officially frown on people carrying. Better to learn on MDS than by a officer putting silver bracelets on you.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    They do enforce if they discover that a member is carrying, but again as many have said their written policy is not force of law nor is a sign. I know of someone who was asked to leave a location where they reached for a product above their head and they exposed for a moment and someone called it out to the store management.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Call the King or King makers and ask permission.

Maryland really has done a great job beating us down for us to be so worried, we are so doomed. The system is so broken

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I would image some other jurisdictions where the MD permit is recognized if you carry in a Costco and are caught it could result in your arrest and your permit being revoked.. Personally I am happy to learn they officially frown on people carrying. Better to learn on MDS than by a officer putting silver bracelets on you.

What in the Sam Hill are you talking about, sir?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I would image some other jurisdictions where the MD permit is recognized if you carry in a Costco and are caught it could result in your arrest and your permit being revoked.. Personally I am happy to learn they officially frown on people carrying. Better to learn on MDS than by an officer putting silver bracelets on you.
    If you’re in a Costco in a state where a posted “no guns” policy carries the force of law (unlike Maryland), then it has to actually be posted. Where you can see it. At the door. As you’ve been reading above, people haven’t been noticing any such thing - just some fine print in the membership agreement. I’ve gone to many a Costco in many states and never noted such a sign.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have them turned off can you post it up here?

His sig line reads, "I support Federalizing the permit system(s) under Congressional Enumerated Powers"

This was the subject of a recent thread.

I still don't understand his post. And by the way, who is Sam Hill?

LAC_MD

Oct 18, 2022
    Towson
    If you’re in a Costco in a state where a posted “no guns” policy carries the force of law (unlike Maryland), then it has to actually be posted. Where you can see it. At the door. As you’ve been reading above, people haven’t been noticing any such thing - just some fine print in the membership agreement. I’ve gone to many a Costco in many states and never noted such a sign.
    not even worth the hassle for me if the policy says no.. even without signage because now you are operating at the officer’s discretion. You may win in the long run but you expose yourself to a potentially long and expensive legal battle. What’s to prevent them from saying it was listed in your membership agreement and pointing you to the website?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    not even worth the hassle for me if the policy says no.. even without signage because now you are operating at the officer’s discretion. You may win in the long run but you expose yourself to a potentially long and expensive legal battle. What’s to prevent them from saying it was listed in your membership agreement and pointing you to the website?
    And what would they be able to do in that instance except take away your membership? A costco card is not somehow legally binding

I gotta say I don't whip out the BGOS tag much but you've earned it here. I am sympathetic, until the carry permit decision I very much was too. Thanks to the writings and actions of folks like Stoveman and my own maturing position I am no longer that way.

LAC_MD

Oct 18, 2022
    Towson
    And what would they be able to do in that instance except take away your membership? A costco card is not somehow legally binding

I gotta say I don't whip out the BGOS tag much but you've earned it here. I am sympathetic, until the carry permit decision I very much was too. Thanks to the writings and actions of folks like Stoveman and my own maturing position I am no longer that way.
    I get in MD we are ok but in other states who knows. The policy is there even though they may not enforce it. I don’t like situations that come down to officer discretion.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    What’s to prevent them from saying it was listed in your membership agreement and pointing you to the website?
    We're talking about states where places of public accommodation who don't want you carrying there have to actually have that posted at their entrance(s).

In our region only DC gives legal weight to such signs. They have no legal weight in MD, VA, PA, WV, DE, NJ and most others. You could go as far as OH, where a sign IS required at the door, and it has to cite the specific statute that gives it power. Having the policy in a membership agreement doesn't do the job. NC gives the signs legal authority, but doesn't require the citation. TN gives the signs power, but the signs have to meet very specific statutory design criteria, be very prominent at the door, etc.

We could go farther and farther afield and look at every state, but hopefully you get the general idea. No sign effectively means no policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom