• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I received a call from a co-worker where I retired from asking if I still reload? Short version he was given his father's 444 marlin and a 45-70 marlin. He stated he wanted to learn how to reload both cartridges. I told him I reload 45-70 have no 444 marlin dies. He stated he has 20 rounds of cases he has shot. I told him to bring them buy and I could show him the process from start to finish. We reloaded the 20 rounds with free gratis primers and powder, and he actually did most of the work. I also gave him a couple of reloading books to read. Well, a couple days later he called me if I could reload the 444 cases if he bought the dies. I said NO! He said it is just a couple of cases. I said NO! He is the type if you do something once for him, he expects you to keep doing it. Yes, a 28-year-old man still living with mommy. I informed him I do not have an FFL ammo sellers or producers license and will not assume any liability. Told him to get off his butt and buy what is needed. He said he could not find the 45-70 cases and said that I had plenty from what he saw. I then just hung up the phone.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I don’t know about everyone but I have had my share

A guy I worked with asked me to reload some 45/70 rounds for him. Same thing my press, my powder, my primers AND my cast .405 bullets.

A week or two later he asked if I would cast him some .340’s if he had a mold and I begrudgingly agreed.

He dropped the mold off with my wife and told her I was casting them and that I had plenty of lead to do it with.

I called and cussed him out. It must have been really bad because I still have the mold lol.

Who does that?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I don’t know about everyone but I have had my share

A guy I worked with asked me to reload some 45/70 rounds for him. Same thing my press, my powder, my primers AND my cast .405 bullets.

A week or two later he asked if I would cast him some .340’s if he had a mold and I begrudgingly agreed.

He dropped the mold off with my wife and told her I was casting them and that I had plenty of lead to do it with.

I called and cussed him out. It must have been really bad because I still have the mold lol.

Who does that?
    People suck.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Nope. My friends are awesome or they wouldn’t be my friends. Most of the time we are giving each other stuff out of the blue because we know the other needs or wants it more. It took a while to get here in life but the things aren’t as cool as the people I’ve met along the way. If I didn’t have cool friends to share my hobby with I’d probably do something else.

Last edited:

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Hahaha,
    great story Harrys. Yeah, if you reload someone is going to try and mooch off you, just as with practically everything you are doing.
    I would love to tell you something different but for everything you do cheaper or more practical than available out there, someone will be around and try to take advantage of you.

And yeah, I do have a shooting buddy that regularly tends to drop off cases for reloading and then demand that I return factory-like ammo on a 1:1 basis. Last time he was here, he got a shoebox full of mixed brass poured into his car.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    We all get this. In harry's case, that's definitely in the "lazy *******" zone. 44man too. One of my friends used to cast for me (I paid him for the lead and materials to coat) and I prepped both his brass and my brass in those calibers because I had a wet tumbler and he didn't. He got looks-new cases and I got powder coated bullets. We each loaded our own ammo.

That said, I've done a bunch of case forming for people who aren't familiar with the processes and in most cases they were very appreciative. I do prep brass for people but, after some previous mooching issues, it's on a straight cash basis. If someone doesn't want to pay up, look for their brass on the barter thread or in the classifieds!!!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I had a thing just recently where my son and some of his friends were standing in my kitchen getting read to go to a Caps game, and I told a story about generously bailing a friend out one time when he was in dire need and had no other way out of the situation.

A couple of days later the one guy sends me a social media friend request - I didn't think it was too odd because my kids are adults, and I get along great with their friends. Then a couple of days later he hits me up in a message for money. He started off with the bit about me talking about being generous, and he's in a tight spot, how he's good for it and will pay me back, etc.

I was really taken aback by it - I barely know this guy, and the truth is, he's not really even one of my son's friends - he's a friend of one of my son's friends and my son doesn't even know him that well.

As much as I wanted to tell him to FOAD, I was polite and explained that although I had been generous in that particular instance that was actually 32 years ago, that was a different time, place and it was a friend I knew very well.

Apparently this guy has been borrowing money from everyone he can and he's not paying it back, so I'm glad I didn't piss my money away.

I've always been the guy who is quick to loan out money, but I don't like to ask anyone for it if I can help it.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    … the type if you do something once for him, he expects you to keep doing it. …

I am (happy? proud? relieved) to report I developed a radar at a relatively young age that gives me an ability to recognize these types, sometimes a mile away.

I wasn’t really aware of it until two different people (one of whom is a pastor) called me for feedback and because they said, “You are very good at telling people, “No.” I am still surprised to have been told that by others but, hey, I’m rollin wit it!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The one thing I'll shamelessly mooch is knowledge - if I find someone who knows more than I do on a given subject, I have no qualms about picking their brain to learn. I stop short of trying to gain anything physical or monetary though.

Old-School Mark

My pronouns: Me, Myself and I.
    Jan 23, 2023
    Silver Spring
    I haven’t had any mooch friends since college but I have, unfortunately, dated my share since then. For some people, they seem to expect that when dating a guy, her financial responsibilities become his. There is a word for that, but most women are offended when that word is used.

As I always say:
    “Give a man fire and he’ll be warm for a day. But set him on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life. “

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The one thing I'll shamelessly mooch is knowledge - if I find someone who knows more than I do on a given subject, I have no qualms about picking their brain to learn. I stop short of trying to gain anything physical or monetary though.
    But most people will gladly share knowledge. That's what makes MDS great. We have experts in all sorts of areas.

Triggerfinger

States Rights!
    Sep 1, 2012
    Richlands, North Carolina
    When I smoked cigarettes in the Army, (stopped many years ago) other soldiers thought I was their personal cigarette dispenser. They never offered me money or cigarettes in compensation. So, I started to carry two packs. One was my good cigarettes and the other was the nastiest cigarettes I could find which were the ones they got. After a while they didn't bum off me

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Yup. Who recalls that show from the mid-80s, Stingray. I thoroughly enjoyed the show/concept but just as the show was not renewed, so too is my generosity with mooches. I will always help, but when their true colors are revealed, I'm done, hard stop.

Old-School Mark

My pronouns: Me, Myself and I.
    Jan 23, 2023
    Silver Spring
    When I smoked cigarettes in the Army, (stopped many years ago) other soldiers thought I was their personal cigarette dispenser. They never offered me money or cigarettes in compensation. So, I started to carry two packs. One was my good cigarettes and the other was the nastiest cigarettes I could find which were the ones they got. After a while they didn't bum off me
    Reminds me of the HBO series “OZ”, about inmates in a maximum security prison. One inmate is smoking and another asks him if he has a spare cigarette. The first one looks inside his pack, counts the cigarettes and replies “Nope, no spares.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom