• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I've had people attempt it, but i don't entertain that kind of stuff. I do things for trades or payment only when it comes to weird/odd reloading stuff...scarce materials are a must-have for the one wanting things loaded, as I'm not sacrificing my hard to find or nigh impossible to replace brass for the hell of it.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Being in the entertainment business I get many requests for " if you ain't busy you could come entertain us this weekend" mind you, not an invite to the party but an invite to work. As I get older I really hate people more and more.

Nobody

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    I received a call from a co-worker where I retired from asking if I still reload? Short version he was given his father's 444 marlin and a 45-70 marlin. He stated he wanted to learn how to reload both cartridges. I told him I reload 45-70 have no 444 marlin dies. He stated he has 20 rounds of cases he has shot. I told him to bring them buy and I could show him the process from start to finish. We reloaded the 20 rounds with free gratis primers and powder, and he actually did most of the work. I also gave him a couple of reloading books to read. Well, a couple days later he called me if I could reload the 444 cases if he bought the dies. I said NO! He said it is just a couple of cases. I said NO! He is the type if you do something once for him, he expects you to keep doing it. Yes, a 28-year-old man still living with mommy. I informed him I do not have an FFL ammo sellers or producers license and will not assume any liability. Told him to get off his butt and buy what is needed. He said he could not find the 45-70 cases and said that I had plenty from what he saw. I then just hung up the phone.
    This is why I don't reload. From all appearances, reloading seems to be like crack or the big H. First time it's free, and next thing you know you're doing who-knows-what on street corners for the habit. Nossir. Not me. Nothing but clean, store-bought stuff. Straight and narrow only.

Old-School Mark

My pronouns: Me, Myself and I.
    Jan 23, 2023
    Silver Spring
    Being in the entertainment business I get many requests for " if you ain't busy you could come entertain us this weekend" mind you, not an invite to the party but an invite to work. As I get older I really hate people more and more.

Nobody
    Send them a contract and let them know that since they’re friends, you won’t charge them the full scale rate.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I feel like one often.

Buddy and neighbor has helped me out a fair amount. It feels like all the time giving me a partial box of bullets to try, or a sleeve of primers, etc. Sometimes he offers. Sometimes I ask. I always offer to buy it from him and often do when it’s more than a few bullets or primers. When it’s like 500, the wallet is always coming out, as it should. Plus I hook him up with range brass of stuff he shoots and I don’t pretty frequently. Over the years I’ve probably given him several hundreds of .40 silly & wasteful. A hundred or two 380. Probably at least a hundred or two of 44 and 45lc. Some .30-30.

Abuck

Ultimate Member

Nobody
    Was reading this thread, thinking how lucky I am to not have a mooch. Other than my buddies kids the last 40 years, (I am the funcle for all them) but I consider that a bit different.

But your reply struck a note with me. :)
    Being a musician certainly gets requests for freebies. Our band had played many times for worthy charities. But once you hit so many in a year, those are days you aren’t earning, and you have to say no.

The requests from some individuals to play their party, or other event, for free, were much easier to deny. We did a few, usually for direct family. So many reasons we “should” play for free, it’s good exposure, it’s for someone’s cousins brother who can’t afford to pay, if you play free now I’ll get you gigs at (insert some BS location name) some even guilt tripping you as to why you need to do this.

So yea, we were expected to have a 5 piece band, a full PA, lights, and FOH guy, come to your event, set up, play, and tear down, for nothing. And not be out earning that day? Yea, ok. You can always ask, but don’t get annoyed or keep pushing when it’s a no. It’s hard enough scheduling, and moving vacations around for the gigs we are already signed up for.

It touched a nerve, as my own estranged father was one who had a particular laughable request.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Screenshot_20230306-151556~2.png

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Was reading this thread, thinking how lucky I am to not have a mooch. Other than my buddies kids the last 40 years, (I am the funcle for all them) but I consider that a bit different.

But your reply struck a note with me. :)
    Being a musician certainly gets requests for freebies. Our band had played many times for worthy charities. But once you hit so many in a year, those are days you aren’t earning, and you have to say no.

The requests from some individuals to play their party, or other event, for free, were much easier to deny. We did a few, usually for direct family. So many reasons we “should” play for free, it’s good exposure, it’s for someone’s cousins brother who can’t afford to pay, if you play free now I’ll get you gigs at (insert some BS location name) some even guilt tripping you as to why you need to do this.

So yea, we were expected to have a 5 piece band, a full PA, lights, and FOH guy, come to your event, set up, play, and tear down, for nothing. And not be out earning that day? Yea, ok. You can always ask, but don’t get annoyed or keep pushing when it’s a no. It’s hard enough scheduling, and moving vacations around for the gigs we are already signed up for.

It touched a nerve, as my own estranged father was one who had a particular laughable request.
    Sounds like r/Choosingbeggars

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Nope, I've been lucky I guess.
    I did have one guy, sometime back who'd just got back into civvy life & moved. He asked, as we both shot the same caliber, if he could borrow my setup for a first batch till he got his stuff shipped & setup. I let him use my setup & he left me quite a lot of supplies as a thank you.

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    When I smoked cigarettes in the Army, (stopped many years ago) other soldiers thought I was their personal cigarette dispenser. They never offered me money or cigarettes in compensation. So, I started to carry two packs. One was my good cigarettes and the other was the nastiest cigarettes I could find which were the ones they got. After a while they didn't bum off me
    I did the same thing at work, one guy in particular. They were a French brand and IIRC they were Gauloises:

I see they have some that are even cheaper.
    These may be even "better" and they are Maryland ciggeretts:
    :lol2:

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Being a mooch is not necessarily the same as being a recipient of someone's generosity, although it can be.
    I spent several decades, every Sunday in FB season, and other times throughout the year, providing and cooking meals for family and friends. Often 10-20 people throughout the day, sometimes more. Also sharing a nice selection of craft brews, and brews I home brewed with a buddy.

Some would help, a few gave a couple of bucks. I did it freely, and would never consider any of them as moochers. But looking back, some could be labeled as such by others, and I wouldn’t disagree.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Back in the day I chewed Kodiak. There was a guy everytime I pulled out my can he would come and ask for a pinch.

One day I opened a new can and took a pinch and spit in the can in front on him. He asked why I did that and I told him my grandfather told me it was good luck and I have done it since I started chewing ( I just did it that day) he never asked for another pinch

Nobody

Triggerfinger

States Rights!
    Sep 1, 2012
    Richlands, North Carolina
    Back in the day I chewed Kodiak. There was a guy everytime I pulled out my can he would come and ask for a pinch.

One day I opened a new can and took a pinch and spit in the can in front on him. He asked why I did that and I told him my grandfather told me it was good luck and I have done it since I started chewing ( I just did it that day) he never asked for another pinch

Nobody
    Well done.

Old-School Mark

My pronouns: Me, Myself and I.
    Jan 23, 2023
    Silver Spring

Nobody
    I love it. I knew someone who did something similar. His daughter’s boyfriend was a food mooch; he would always help himself to anything in the kitchen. One day the father let his dog lick the plate after eating. He then put the plate back in the cabinet. All of this was in front of the free-loading boyfriend. Problem solved.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Nope. My friends are awesome or they wouldn’t be my friends. Most of the time we are giving each other stuff out of the blue because we know the other needs or wants it more. It took a while to get here in life but the things aren’t as cool as the people I’ve met along the way. If I didn’t have cool friends to share my hobby with I’d probably do something else.
    ^^^This

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom