• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I can help with letter editing after 4:00PM. Businesses on the receiving end of telephone calls are exempt from the Do Not Call registry. In other words, telemarketers can call businesses as often as they want. We don't need to worry about the Do Not Call registry.

We do, however, need to be concerned with harassing telephone calls (as mentioned earlier). I think that if we organized boycotts and simply had individuals call up the business to tell them why we are boycotting their business would work.

We can't take the "we'll make your lines so busy you won't be able to conduct business" approach - this is by definition "harrassment." Also, note the penalties for a conviction of this law - up to 3 years. youd probably get a fine a most, but since you could potentially be imprisoned for up to 3 years, you'd be ineliable for firearm ownership. Is it worth it? We can call up to inform the businesses about our concerns and if it happens to be thousands of us then so be it, but we can't make it our sole purpose.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I am not harrassing if I make one call. I can't control thousands of other individuals who also make one call.

Your second paragraph describes exactly what I propose.

Never said that the purpose would be to tie up their lines and disrupt their business. I simply stated that this would be a possible result of so many calls.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    It is harassing if your intent is to "annoy or harrass." Your letter sums up your intent pretty well. This law doesn't make an exemption for just one call or ten calls: if you make one call with the proper intent you could have these charges filed against you.

Also, you can't control other individuals, but your letter gives the appearance that you will garner this support to make additional phone calls. This could bring additional legal troubles: conspiracy and solicitation. I'm not saying the charges would stick, but with a little letter editing you can avoid the whole problem.

I'm just trying to help you.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    It is harassing if your intent is to "annoy or harrass." Your letter sums up your intent pretty well. This law doesn't make an exemption for just one call or ten calls: if you make one call with the proper intent you could have these charges filed against you.

^^^^^

Lawyer.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County

Also, you can't control other individuals, but your letter gives the appearance that you will garner this support to make additional phone calls. This could bring additional legal troubles: conspiracy and solicitation. I'm not saying the charges would stick, but with a little letter editing you can avoid the whole problem.

I'm not arguing your point in the least. Just stating that, that was not my intent. Better wording would be welcomed with open arms.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    But they can un-file my website and domain with a single email to my hosting provider referencing a federal law, with virtually no legal repercussions for themselves.

If the wiki grows into something which will be used over the long term I'll move the site and domain overseas, (mostly) beyond the reach of US laws.

If you are worried about that make sure you setup auto backups and do so frequently.

Thanks
    Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom