• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Interesteing, Whats a good Shtf Ar then?

I'm partial to my custom AR. Match 16" Lothar Walther barrel. NiB BCG(enhances reliability) and MagPul 30 round windowed PMags. Gets rid of 80% of failures by using quality parts.
    Good SHTF AR? Well I'd say in no particular order BCM, Colt Daniel Defense Lewis Machine and Tool, FN. All DI. All interchangable parts.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I have one dpms it's a 308 platform chambred in .260 remington, I had a bunch of small problems at one time with it. Lord Chad smoothed it all out and made it into a precision instrument that works prefectly every time.

dpms make a discent rifle but alot of what you find on the shelf is the oricals or panthers these rifles are made to compete with the "build your owe market" and be affordable for people who are at the entry level. They are not milspec and lack features common on more expensive guns. Now being an expert gunsmith or a primo ar guy I can not quote chapter and verse of all the diffrances. I know I have sold hundreds of them and only a few have ever come back for warrenty I know I would take one over an olympic or a century arms put together gun. Not everyone can afford a colt so sometimes you start with what you can afford.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Not considered "Top Tier", but mine has never failed to go "bang"...

It's been thru 2 carbine courses and several thousand rounds, w/o a hitch...

384915088.jpg

384915085.jpg

Jamie
    Very nice Jamie.

And in addition to being a Doctor, You're also LE/Military. :)

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    On Target sells Colt AR's for $909?

I worked there for a split second last year. Not an enjoyable experience but they do offer discounts for employees.

I couldn't tell you what they sell anything in there for now. I haven't been in there since I quit.

As someone who owns a DPMS rifle I have realized that you can buy a complete spikes lower for around 230 at my lgs and buy a complete upper featuring a CHF barrel for around 500 including a quality bcg.

What does DPMS offer in 5.56 with those features at that price? Nothing.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I built my .300-221 (.300 Whisper) on a DPMS lower. No complaints.

As for complete rifles, as said above many people have had no issues. But their QC isn't the best, and the barrels offered aren't the best either. If you want to get into the AR market in the $700-800 I'd recommend the M&P 15 Sport over any DPMS, but I have seen all of these "lower tier" (Bushmaster/DPMS/Rock River/S&W Sport/Del-Ton, etc.) have issues. However since you can swap out anything on an AR it's not the end of the world (as long as your lower is in spec). Jumping up to a rifle like a Colt for a few hundred dollars more, you practically have nothing to worry about.

Many shooters of these kind of ARs will never put more than a few thousand rounds through these rifles in their lifetime. If that's the case, go for it. Buy once cry once (with a Colt or similar), or buy cheap, hope it never breaks, and if it breaks fix it. :thumbsup:

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Wow, a lot of great info out there, along with quite a difference of opinions. Wouldn't have expected that on a gun forum. :lol2::D
    Thanks to all for the input!

MH

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Wow, a lot of great info out there, along with quite a difference of opinions. Wouldn't have expected that on a gun forum. :lol2::D
    Thanks to all for the input!

MH

I prefer Colt for the quality and price point balance. I've run Colt AR's (semi) and Colt M16s (semi and full) over many decades with many hundreds of thousands of rounds without issues that weren't operator induced. Yes, that's why I sell Colt AR's.

Bear in mind, just like Chad, if Colt's quality should go downhill in QC, I'll turn my back on Colt in a heartbeat, though Colt still has good quality to this day in their LE series AR's.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Interesteing, Whats a good Shtf Ar then?

It must be built to spec. You can run a DPMS or Olympic Arms ar all you want for a thousand rounds with no issues, and it still will be much more prone to issues then a AR built to spec. That one time it goes up could be the one time you need it to save your life.

Bravo Company (BCM) is my personal choice, but Colt 6920 are great as well and there are also a few others.

If this stuff matters to you, spend a tiny bit more and get one that is built to spec.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    My gunshop guru told me that all the Maryland guys are buying the DPMS 5.56 guns up. I was about to bite on one in February until the one employee there (Davey) told me that he had a Smith and Wesson M&P Sport in the back. I was in love right there. The name had me sold. I have no bad things to say about DPMS as i have never shot one but i must say the M&P Sport is flawless in its operations!!

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Use a toothpick, dip it into paint and let paint fully fill the roll marks.

Let dry a bit.

Take paint thinner on a paper towel (I wrap it over a credit card to get a sharp edge), and lightly rub off the excess paint.

Admire results....
    Thanks. I'll try that if/when my crayon method wears off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom