• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shovel1966

May 14, 2016
    Springfield, VA
    I like to dry my brass on one of my wife's bathroom towels in front of the fire place after wet tumbling. Now that the weather has warmed up a bit, this is no longer a viable option until fall.

What are some of your favorite ways to dry your brass?

Attachments

• brass drying.jpg
      brass drying.jpg
      98.1 KB · Views: 374

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I roll it around in a towel to get most of the water off, then let it sit overnight. If I am in a hurry, a cookie sheet covered with aluminum foil, and the lowest setting on the oven for about thirty minutes.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Towel out in the sun on a table on the back deck in the summertime, or if it's not sunny just towel dry them on the outside (dump em all on the towel, fold it over and work them around a bit to get most off the outside) and let them sit overnight.

If I'm in a hurry (which is rare with brass), I'll use compressed air and blow em out good, then let them sit a bit to final dry.

duck2621

Sep 4, 2013
    I put mines in the oven. Use the lowest setting (normally 170 degrees) for about 20-30 mins. Does the trick for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C&RTactical

Jul 24, 2013
    I just drain the water from the tumbler and lay out the brass on a towel for a few days. Usually I am not in a rush to reload it. I tend to have enough cleaned brass on hand to work with already.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I roll it around in a towel to get most of the water off, then let it sit overnight.

This. Or, if I'm doing laundry that day I put the brass on a cooking sheet and let it sit on top of the dryer. Doesn't dry it completely but it definitely speeds up the process.

shovel1966

May 14, 2016
    Springfield, VA
    I am never really in a hurry either, but used the advantage of the fireplace during the winter. The Frankford Arsenal "brass dryer" (right photo) looks to be the same product as the food dehydrator made by Nesco (left photo). Except for the markings and tray color they are identical. I have the Nesco model I use for food, but have never dried brass in it.

Attachments

• dehydrator.jpg
      dehydrator.jpg
      28.6 KB · Views: 243
    • brass dryer.jpg
      brass dryer.jpg
      13.9 KB · Views: 243

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Easy, don't wet tumble. :D

And miss out on all the advantages? No way. I still use walnut media in a vibratory tumbler for small batches, or if I am in a hurry, but the stainless pins / wet method give me far better results. It is very easy to spot issues during inspection of brass that has been wet tumbled.

shovel1966

May 14, 2016
    Springfield, VA
    And miss out on all the advantages? No way. I still use walnut media in a vibratory tumbler for small batches, or if I am in a hurry, but the stainless pins / wet method give me far better results. It is very easy to spot issues during inspection of brass that has been wet tumbled.
    I just started wet tumbling about 2 years ago. I have plenty of brass so I don't have "small batches." I just deprime and save up until I have enough to make it worth while.

Sure there may be an extra set or two as compared to dry tumbling, I also find the results much more satisfying. Who doesn't like shiny brass?

souprcampbell

Jul 5, 2014
    Middletown
    I got a dehydrator from Walmart for about $30. It does great. I still roll the brass on a towel before I put the brass on the dehydrator trays, as it removes the water spots on the cases. In about an hour, I have a full lot of dry, shiny, clean brass that goes right into a sealed ammo can, and it stays shiny and clean. It is the best solution I have found to ensure consistency, and at only $30, it isn't a serious investment.

One note to add, look for a dehydrator with small slots in the trays. The Presto brand one I have will allow 9mm/223 sized cases to fall through towards the back. Not a big deal, a minor inconvenience to avoid if possible.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I roll them around on a towel and let them sit for a couple of days. When I first started wet tumbling and experimenting with different ways, I used the removable shelf for shoes and delicates that came with the front load dryer.

Dowtom

Nov 29, 2014
    Halethorpe
    I wet tumble mine in a zippered pillow case then just throw in the dryer.... Okay that last part isn't true but I'm tempted to try it. I put mine in the oven for 30 minutes on lowest setting

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    I wet tumble and I rinse them in hot water, then go out to the garage and blow them out with the Air compressor, then a afternoon in the sun, Perfect.

shovel1966

May 14, 2016
    Springfield, VA
    I wet tumble mine in a zippered pillow case then just throw in the dryer.... Okay that last part isn't true but I'm tempted to try it. I put mine in the oven for 30 minutes on lowest setting

Do you put the stainless steel pins in the zippered pillow case with the brass when you wet tumble? :lol: :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom