Duracell AA damage-to-optic “warranty” ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Anyone have any firsthand experience seeking reimbursement from a battery maker for failure of the battery permanently destroying the optic said battery was in?

Background: left a Trijicon ranging reticle ACOG w Duracell AA in it for about a year, went to retrieve it and the battery had obviously leaked. Battery cap would NOT come off. Called Trijicon and they said, “Send it in, we’ll see what we can do, we’ve seen this before.”

Got a call from Trijicon yesterday saying their technicians assess - and are putting in writing - the Duracell battery essentially exploded and chemically “welded” the male-female threads together, destroying not only the male threads on the battery but, also the female threads to the battery compartment, which is integral (a part of) the scope itself.

The Trijicon rep said this is not the first time they’ve seen this and the typical next step is to contact the battery Mfr and make them aware of the situation and that sometimes the battery Mfr makes good on the customer’s product which their leaking battery destroyed …

Just curious is anyone else has gone this route and if so any steps you would do differently or not at all?

(One spice in my pie is that I am second owner of the scope; the bud who sold it to me is trying to find the original receipt / invoice as Trijicon said they’re gonna need that when Duracell contacts them (Trijicon) for confirmation as to scopes value, etc.)

Moral of the story: DO NOT simply leave batteries in your optics for extended periods of time … (one more example of why my headstone will have iron sights engraved on it, before crosshairs …! :-/

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I’ve never heard of someone getting them to warranty something so expensive.

That’s why you use Energizer L91s, not alkalines.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Strange . I never had this happen to iron sights or fixed power scope . ( Yoo soon ?)

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I had something similar happen with Duracell batteries to an EoTech on a truck gun. The damage was beyond repair. I did not pursue it with Duracell, my assumption being it would go nowhere, but perhaps I was wrong. EoTech, while they would not warranty/replace the item, was gracious enough to give me 50% off anything in their catalogue.

TheEvilZX2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2011
    Had some Energizer AA batteries in an Eotech 512 do a little corroding, not nearly as bad as yours.

I popped mine out and cleaned the contacts up really good and slapped some new batteries in there and I was good to go. I've got irons on any rifles with any optic just in case something happens, even if some of those are Magpul MBUS sights.

Posted with my Muth*rfkn TapaTalk!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I never leave batteries in any expensive equipment that I am not using on a daily basis. I have had too much experience with two dollar batteries damaging instruments worth 100s of dollars.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****I don’t think it is just Duracell batteries that do this. It’s the type and technology of the battery vs brand as I’ve seen other brands leak and damage electronics. I don’t think that’s a warranty issue but more of a maintenance issue? Perhaps environmental if in a hot and or humid environment?

Dunno but this has happened to me with old style batteries vs silver oxide or lithium etc..

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I've seen the warranty on battery packages claiming they'd replace anything ruined by their battery and often wondered what they would do.
    Please let us know how you make out and good luck.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    Anyone have any firsthand experience seeking reimbursement from a battery maker for failure of the battery permanently destroying the optic said battery was in?

Background: left a Trijicon ranging reticle ACOG w Duracell AA in it for about a year, went to retrieve it and the battery had obviously leaked. Battery cap would NOT come off. Called Trijicon and they said, “Send it in, we’ll see what we can do, we’ve seen this before.”

Got a call from Trijicon yesterday saying their technicians assess - and are putting in writing - the Duracell battery essentially exploded and chemically “welded” the male-female threads together, destroying not only the male threads on the battery but, also the female threads to the battery compartment, which is integral (a part of) the scope itself.

The Trijicon rep said this is not the first time they’ve seen this and the typical next step is to contact the battery Mfr and make them aware of the situation and that sometimes the battery Mfr makes good on the customer’s product which their leaking battery destroyed …

Just curious is anyone else has gone this route and if so any steps you would do differently or not at all?

(One spice in my pie is that I am second owner of the scope; the bud who sold it to me is trying to find the original receipt / invoice as Trijicon said they’re gonna need that when Duracell contacts them (Trijicon) for confirmation as to scopes value, etc.)

Moral of the story: DO NOT simply leave batteries in your optics for extended periods of time … (one more example of why my headstone will have iron sights engraved on it, before crosshairs …! :-/
    Where was the optic stored?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have been partially reimbursed in the past for batteries damaging electronics. It's never full value though, it's about 60% olof new cost.

Many of my customers or students have reported the same.

Why do I leave batteries in gun electronics? Because the item is useless without batteries.

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    As per Duracell:
    GUARANTEE: If not completely satisfied with your Duracell battery product, call 1-800-551-2355 (9:00AM – 5:00PM EST). Duracell guarantees its batteries against defects in materials and workmanship. Should any device be damaged due to a battery defect, we will repair or replace it at our option. Leaking battery and damaged device must be provided as proof of claim. Duracell may deny claims of damage caused by misuse or modification of the batteries or device. CAUTION: May explode or leak, and caused burn injury, if recharged, disposed of in fire, mixed with different battery type, inserted backwards or disassembled. Replace all used batteries at the same time. Keep in original package until ready to use. Do not carry batteries loose in your pocket or purse. Do not remove the battery label. BEST BEFORE: See Date on Battery or Package.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I have been partially reimbursed in the past for batteries damaging electronics. It's never full value though, it's about 60% olof new cost.

Many of my customers or students have reported the same.

Why do I leave batteries in gun electronics? Because the item is useless without batteries.
    I'm with you on this, Chad. I have arms with battery-powered optics at the ready in my home. It's one thing if the battery dies a natural death and the light goes out, but if the battery pukes its guts into my optic, that's a problem.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    All my optics get Energizer Lithium batteries. Supposedly leak proof witb a 20 year shelf life.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I use NiMH batteries in the optics that don't use "coin" batteries. Mostly IR scopes. Every quarter I swap them out with freshly charged ones.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    As stated above, it's the alkaline battery technology that causes the leaks. Anything really important, like gun optics, lasers or lights should be using lithium batteries. Even though lithium are way more expensive.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have seen lithium batteries catch fire and corrode. In my experience no battery tech is immune from damaging its host.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me and I'm not looking for a debate. Just sharing what I have seen from privately owned weapons and agency weapons.

Buying name brand batteries gives you some insurance when damage occurs because the companies will usually reimburse damage. You probably won't get that from using off brand or budget batteries.

Last edited:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Dielectric grease helps with this does not prevent it, helps with the corrosion part as the battery leaks. Dielectric grease does make battery changes messy because I would advise a good bit on the contacts, and a magnet will help because the battery will not slide out as freely

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Dielectric grease helps with this does not prevent it, helps with the corrosion part as the battery leaks. Dielectric grease does make battery changes messy because I would advise a good bit on the contacts, and a magnet will help because the battery will not slide out as freely
    Agreed. I have a tube of it on my bench and in my mobile armorers kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom