Duracell AA damage-to-optic “warranty” ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I had this issue many years ago with all brands, some brands leak more than others but all brands leak. I have a couple of ruined mini mag lites that stopped working after the corrosion destroyed the anodizing inside the tubes.

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    I haven't used "Copper Tops" in over a decade. I have a large box of electronics destroyed by their leakage. Final straw was a $25.00 flashlight, for which they reimbursed me about $8.00 (Shipping it to them cost almost that much). Never more... In fact, in that decade, I have had only one cheap flashlight (kept in the car) by Dollar Tree batteries!

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    This thread is an epiphany for me. Instead of keeping batteries in the flashlights in my car and other places, I'll keep the batteries in Ziploc bags tapes to the flashlights and insert the batts when needed. I, too, have lost quite a bit of equipment over the decades due to these leaking pieces of shit that I just can't tolerate it anymore.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    This thread is an epiphany for me. Instead of keeping batteries in the flashlights in my car and other places, I'll keep the batteries in Ziploc bags tapes to the flashlights and insert the batts when needed. I, too, have lost quite a bit of equipment over the decades due to these leaking pieces of shit that I just can't tolerate it anymore.
    That's exactly what I do.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Duracells are just garbage, there’s another thread on here somewhere where this was discussed and was the general consensus. I had my suspicions prior to then and it was confirmed here, so I never use them any more. I’ll use 7-11 brand batteries before I’ll ever use Duracells any more.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    All my optics get Energizer Lithium batteries. Supposedly leak proof witb a 20 year shelf life.
    I use Energizer Lithium exclusively in my optics. I got a bulk shipment of Energizer Lithium AA batteries in 2002. I took some out randomly a couple months ago and measured with multimeter designed to specifically test batteries, and all were still around 1.7 or 1.8v. I also read somewhere Energizer will reimburse for any damage caused by them. I think I have it somewhere. But, my go to rifle is my Colt 6721 with an EoTech 512 on it and Energizer Lithium batteries. Now it was around $300 from PSA a while ago, andfor some guys 300 isn't a lot for an optic, but for me it is. So, a few dollars for a battery that may last 20+ years is good insurance. I also put a little bit of electrical connector protectant call DeOxit on the battery terminals in case.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Duracells are just garbage, there’s another thread on here somewhere where this was discussed and was the general consensus. I had my suspicions prior to then and it was confirmed here, so I never use them any more. I’ll use 7-11 brand batteries before I’ll ever use Duracells any more.
    Rayovac are by far the worst of the name brand batteries. If they DON'T leak, then they are defective.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    what batteries are “best” for avoiding leaks?
    I think the answer is NiMH rechargeable batteries. Unlike alkaline batteries, they are basically dry inside. If you get Low Self Discharge ones they will stay charged for a year or more.

Ikea sells some pretty good ones ("Ladda") for a reasonable price. Panasonic (Eneloops) and Tenergy are also good brands. Avoid "made in China" ones - they are mostly junk and usually have much less capacity than marked/advertised, and will quickly self discharge.

For long term use in extremely cold temperatures (e.g. for an outdoor weather station) Lithium batteries are better.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I have my phone remind me on the 1st of each month to do an electronics/optics battery check. It is rare that I do not actually check each one that contains a battery. I have avoided any leakage issues since beginning this.
    If a problem is spotted, it can be dealt with before it becomes catastrophic.
    I have seen almost every battery major brand destroy things over the years. None are immune from letting a bad lot get through.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This thread is one reason I moved away from AA and AAA batteries for my shooting gear, and instead use CR123s, 18650s, 18350s, etc.. That isn't the same as "never leak", but between that and buying quality batteries, it seems like a lot less of a problem. Ease of replacement is an issue, to be sure, but rechargeables in particular also don't need that much replacing.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    First, I want to say a huge THANK YOU! to everyone who has responded - your insights have given me a whole nuther perspective on pursuing this!

And one followup question …

Stay away from the Costco brand batteries this happened twice using their batteries in my deer cams.

Do you mean actual Costco marked batteries? Or, batteries possibly made for Costco by Duracell etc, in the big value pack cards?

Not sure I’ve seen batteries at Costco with “Costco” on them (I typically am not the one going in there tho) but, your post reminded the wife and I that: all the different brand (Duracell, Energizer, etc.) batteries we buy, we buy in the “value packs” sold at places like Costco, SAM’s etc.

Wondering if this might be part of a pattern …

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Costco's brand is Kirkland. I think these are the Costco batteries being discussed.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    First, I want to say a huge THANK YOU! to everyone who has responded - your insights have given me a whole nuther perspective on pursuing this!

And one followup question …

Do you mean actual Costco marked batteries? Or, batteries possibly made for Costco by Duracell etc, in the big value pack cards?

Not sure I’ve seen batteries at Costco with “Costco” on them (I typically am not the one going in there tho) but, your post reminded the wife and I that: all the different brand (Duracell, Energizer, etc.) batteries we buy, we buy in the “value packs” sold at places like Costco, SAM’s etc.

Wondering if this might be part of a pattern …
    Yes, the Costco “Kirkland Signature” marked batteries are not good quality at all and leaked on me twice. Don’t know who makes them for Costco but risk of failure is high

IMG_0678.jpeg

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Like I said dielectric grease will solve most of the issues since the grease will not react with what leaks out.

Sirex