• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Lol

The soft bigotry of low expectations on display.

Now now, I'm not saying squeegee kids are incapable, just that they see no need, with access to stolen firearms and a 30 seconds with Dremel and a grinder stone on it.

Squeegee kids are as bright as any other kid.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    So, let me be clear, I am opposed to all bans of inanimate objects. Full stop. This is a people problem.

But I am honestly confused as to why I've seen opposition to expanded background checks? Isn't that how you keep felons from buying guns? I don't expect a criminal to tell a seller he's a criminal of his own accord.

The only objection I've seen to expanded background checks is that it is the beginning of a registry. Which I get. But I'll guess that most folks on this forum have filled out a form at a gun shop at some point in time so isn't that a moot point?

I'm honest to goodness asking what part of this I'm missing

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

One of the big issues with the "registry" is that politicians want to make the registry accessible to the PUBLIC.

Think about that. A literal shopping list of guns for criminals to download, with addresses.

Or, if it pleases the court, it essentially "doxes" every single law abiding gun owner in the country so that Demanding Mommies can find out about your C&R collection that happens to include machine guns. They protest outside of your house, get you fired from your job, bring the media down on you, etc.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    One of the big issues with the "registry" is that politicians want to make the registry accessible to the PUBLIC.

Think about that. A literal shopping list of guns for criminals to download, with addresses.

Or, if it pleases the court, it essentially "doxes" every single law abiding gun owner in the country so that Demanding Mommies can find out about your C&R collection that happens to include machine guns. They protest outside of your house, get you fired from your job, bring the media down on you, etc.

Be on the list and never get hired in a blue area again. They want your total submission or destruction.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    banning something because a small % of the population misuses them is just bullsh1t. if we don't trust KNOWN criminals to not repeat their violence, the only sure answer is keeping them in jail. problem solved. why is this never even considered?
    Oh give me a break. You legit think every felony should carry a life sentence?

Stuff like "Fraudulent sale of subdivided land" or "Performance of a healthcare procedure without a license" or "Gambling tax evasion, to include sports betting."

Really?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

Stuff like "Fraudulent sale of subdivided land" or "Performance of a healthcare procedure without a license" or "Gambling tax evasion, to include sports betting."

Really?

Is Aggravated Strawman Argumentation a felony? It should be.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Really?

Are those violent crimes? Because I'm pretty sure you quoted him saying something about criminals repeating their violence.

Reading is fundamental.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Are those violent crimes? Because I'm pretty sure you quoted him saying something about criminals repeating their violence.

Reading is fundamental.
    Fair enough.

Let me just back up to say that I think "criminals gonna crime" is a poor argument for not enacting laws in general, and when taken to its logical conclusion looks a lot like anarchy.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021

I don't follow?

Yes, a registry is bad.
    But how many of us have had our backgrounds run? This information isn't public now and how is the number of background checks conducted related to whether or not that information is public?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Right here: https://wtop.com/maryland/2021/01/maryland-state-county-lawmakers-target-ghost-guns/

73 of them in 2020, in just MoCo. Is it possible some of these were simply normal guns with defiled serials? Possible. But that's hardly a new thing.

Look, I'm not here to argue that 80% receivers should be banned (they shouldn't be). I'm just saying that denying that criminals are using these things is going to be a loser of an argument for us. Yes, individual criminals tend to be dumb, but as the aforementioned article mentions, it's gangs that really like these.

Again, let's actually work on responding to our opponents rather than reflexively denying anything they say.

I believe that is correct, they added defaced/removed serial numbers to the "ghost gun" count in that case.

Wouldn't have had the drama if they said 2 or 1 of that was the actual 80% count.

I have an inside source on this stuff

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico

Really?

If every felony carried a significant sentence imposed when convicted and not plead out or dropped, folks may actually refrain from committing a felony in the first place. Called DETERRENCE.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    banning something because a small % of the population misuses them is just bullsh1t. if we don't trust KNOWN criminals to not repeat their violence, the only sure answer is keeping them in jail. problem solved. why is this never even considered?

Because it’s racist..........or so the overlords tell us..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Right here: https://wtop.com/maryland/2021/01/maryland-state-county-lawmakers-target-ghost-guns/

73 of them in 2020, in just MoCo. Is it possible some of these were simply normal guns with defiled serials? Possible. But that's hardly a new thing.

Look, I'm not here to argue that 80% receivers should be banned (they shouldn't be). I'm just saying that denying that criminals are using these things is going to be a loser of an argument for us. Yes, individual criminals tend to be dumb, but as the aforementioned article mentions, it's gangs that really like these.

Again, let's actually work on responding to our opponents rather than reflexively denying anything they say.

I was arguing definitions and grammar.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

Really?

The recidivism rate would drop to zero. Crime would drop along with it. Obviously the current criminal justice system from police to prosecutors to judges to sheriffs to parole boards is screwed up.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I don't follow?

Yes, a registry is bad.
    But how many of us have had our backgrounds run? This information isn't public now and how is the number of background checks conducted related to whether or not that information is public?

Please provide us with a list of all firearms you have owned or purchased and their current disposition also include where the firearms you still posses are located. If you have a concealed carry permit (of any kind) list the informaiton about that too.

https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/...names-of-gun-permit-holders-sparking-outrage/

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    ummm

1)There are a whole list of things that are banned, the most recent being bump stocks.

B)There are not enough prisons or jails to hold the current felons. Who wants to pay for more?

And just what is the answer to all these questions and more? I don't know.
    But something has to be done.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Fair enough.

Let me just back up to say that I think "criminals gonna crime" is a poor argument for not enacting laws in general, and when taken to its logical conclusion looks a lot like anarchy.

So you are OK with giving up rights, just because "criminals gonna crime"??? DO I understand you correctly?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If every felony carried a significant sentence imposed when convicted and not plead out or dropped, folks may actually refrain from committing a felony in the first place. Called DETERRENCE.

On the flip side of that coin, if they have served their sentence in full, then they should get ALL of their rights back and no longer be labelled a felon. If, they have committed crime so violent that they shouldn't get ALL of their rights back, then they should never be released from the legal system (i.e. lifetime parole after release, violate parole, back to jail for "X" amount of years).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom