• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Anybody have some actual experience with preserving eggs? How well did it work? How long did they last?

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    I have heard of you do not refrigerate an egg it will last months, once refrigerated they must remain so or they will spoil.

Old wives tale.... Maybe maybe not

Nobody

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Mentioned in the chicken thread. If you don't wash them and keep them in your basement, cool and dry, then they should last months.

Aside from that you can dehydrate them. I don't have any experience with this but read articles saying such. Beat, add salt then dehydrate. Aside from texture they are probably going to taste the same.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    You can pickle eggs (and just about anything else). Not sure if you like pickled eggs (I don’t), but that’s one option.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Link to the thread

Preserving your chickens’ eggs all winter​

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    For context. A store bought egg on Easter Day can be from a chicken that laid it Christmas Day and meet USDA guidelines for freshness.

If you keep them in a cool dry space unwashed, they are good for a month at least. Probably two.

When eggs are washed it removes the layer that keeps bacteria out. Once you wash them they have to be refrigerated.

I have heard of you do not refrigerate an egg it will last months, once refrigerated they must remain so or they will spoil.

Old wives tale.... Maybe maybe not

Nobody
    I'm not sure about that but I do know that the United States is one of the only countries in the world that sells eggs in the refrigerator section of the grocery store. If you go to most European countries eggs are sold warm in the store and usually kept in the kitchen in a basket on the counter or dining room table.

Isn't there an Asian culture that buries 'em for years?
    Filipinos have balut which is a fertilized egg close to hatching that is buried in the sand sometimes or steamed and then there's the 100-year-old egg that's Chinese that's not actually 100 years old. Just a couple of weeks and they're treated it with sodium hydroxide. Honestly I've never had the stomach for trying either because they both look and smell disgusting

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    We glassed eggs, stored fresh in a jar with quick lime. Put them up in October and had them a week ago. Stored in a cool basement. Only thing I noticed was the yolks seemed to break easier than fresh eggs. Used them for scrambled anyway.
    V

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Normal eggs, not that yuck that Mule is mentionined, normal eggs are one of my favorite foods. Sunny side up, hard boiled, soft boiled, pickled, raw, and if push comes to shove even scrambled are all acceptable.

Right out of the chicken and still a little dirty, the egg can last over a month at room temperature. Do not wash it!

I want chickens here but don't have any interest in being the only one taking care of them. I have enough to take care of already and I'm the only one in the house that really eats eggs.

There are some methods that can preserve eggs for a long time. Lye or lime and a 5-gallon bucket come to mind. Do your google research on that.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    1: don't wash them, there's a coating on the shell that once removed shortens storage life.
    2: Google Water Glass & eggs. https://www.wikihow.com/Water-Glass-Eggs
    What he said with Water glassing will work with the eggs fresh from the chicken. Store bought eggs would need to be pickled for extended length as they are washed. Also, eat the dirty eggs and waterglass the clean ones, if you do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom