Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    From DNR website:

The shooting range at Elk Neck State Forest is open:
    9:00 a.m. to sunset Tuesday through Sunday.
    1pm and to sunset Mondays.
    Ranges are open on all holidays including Mondays from 9 AM until Sunset.

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    From DNR website:

The shooting range at Elk Neck State Forest is open:
    9:00 a.m. to sunset Tuesday through Sunday.
    1pm and to sunset Mondays.
    Ranges are open on all holidays including Mondays from 9 AM until Sunset.
    Thx, musta miss read. I want to take my store bought target and ask range officer if it’s acceptable. No shoot tomorrow.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Thx, musta miss read. I want to take my store bought target and ask range officer if it’s acceptable. No shoot tomorrow.
    If the center of the target is not at least 54 inches above the ground it will not be acceptable. Read the range rules linked above and if you don't believe them the web page also linked above has the phone number of the park office and you can ask them.

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    Back in the day the height to center used to be 48", then they changed it to 54" and I missed the change. The volunteer RSO measured my target when setting up and had me adjust it up to 54". Intention is to ensure you hit the berm and not splash one short off the ground (lots of gravel/rocks on the rifle range).

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    Went there today. Got great ideas about building a stand. Was busy but they said weekday’s morning is empty. Its good to be retired. Hoping to go end of week. They dont have a back table to put all BP supplies. So have spread out all the accoutrements on shooting table.
    One thing i observed, (no bp, all 9mm semis) they had targets at 20ft. One at 40ft.
    I asked why nobody has at 60 feet? Told practcing self defense shooting.
    They gonna love my smoke and targets at 60’.

Last edited:

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    Going in morning, Thursday, to fire my new revolvers. Cant wait. Guys there said almost nobody there at opening time during the week (its great to be retired). Will probably only fire my new 51 Colt Navy 36. Still can’t decide to load/fire my 58 Rem Navy36 that I acquired. Built in 1971, never fired, 52yo. Realy torn on that one. Anyway, probably wont sleep tonight. Excited.
    PS. Thx to Saint Firearms for hooking me up with necessary supplies and excellent advice on the pistols.

Last edited:

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    My dad is up there a lot on Thursday mornings if the weather is decent. You may find him shooting bench rest with a friend.

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    I went today first time. Aint had so much fun in years. Met really nice helpful people. My 51 Colt Navy 36 was accurate far beyond what I expected. I can see this will be a weekly occurrence. Will avoid friday though, traffic coming home at noon was slow, I suspected it would be. Tue - Thurs now on.
    Thx to everyone who offered advice. Had no problems at all. 50 feet…

Attachments

• IMG_1988.jpeg
      IMG_1988.jpeg
      328.8 KB · Views: 59
    • IMG_1989.jpeg
      IMG_1989.jpeg
      320.3 KB · Views: 62

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    We have hooked another one, reel him in slowly so he doesn't get away.

I'll start.
    Which do you guys prefer traditional percussion cap rifles or inline? Of course those are both modern when compared to the classic flint lock Kentucky Long Rifle.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    We have hooked another one, reel him in slowly so he doesn't get away.

I'll start.
    Which do you guys prefer traditional percussion cap rifles or inline? Of course those are both modern when compared to the classic flint lock Kentucky Long Rifle.

Anyone who answers inline is just wrong...that's barely a muzzleloader. =P

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    I went Wednesday. Great time. I built a awesome target stand out of pvc pipe so i can disassemble and fit in car. All was great til the gentleman next to me shot out one of the vertical pipes and it collapsed. It was funny! We all watched as it slowly fell over and died! What the odds of hitting a 1” pipe at 50’? Accidentally? Anyway it started raining so we all left laughing about it. Good Times.
    People up there are a great bunch. Probably head back Tuesday. Try out my new Uberti Colt .31 Wells Fargo that i got yesterday. Cant wait!

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    I know this black powder, but if i may, i just got a awesome Colt Defender BB pistol, with laser beam attachment and a metal target that i setup in house for when i cant get to range with pistols. These things sure have come far since i was a kid. Accurate at 25’. Lots of indoor fun. $54 Amazon.

Attachments

• IMG_2008.jpeg
      IMG_2008.jpeg
      135.9 KB · Views: 51
    • IMG_2009.jpeg
      IMG_2009.jpeg
      142.1 KB · Views: 54

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I went Wednesday. Great time. I built a awesome target stand out of pvc pipe so i can disassemble and fit in car. All was great til the gentleman next to me shot out one of the vertical pipes and it collapsed. It was funny! We all watched as it slowly fell over and died! What the odds of hitting a 1” pipe at 50’? Accidentally? Anyway it started raining so we all left laughing about it. Good Times.
    People up there are a great bunch. Probably head back Tuesday. Try out my new Uberti Colt .31 Wells Fargo that i got yesterday. Cant wait!
    When I shot at Elk neck I had made a stand out of 3/4 PVC. I think my son would shoot it on purpose so I tossed a handful of couplings a piece of 3/4 PVC and a PVC cutter in my range bag

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    Great idea. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it; It shortly started pouring rain so i was done anyway.
    Still sorting it out. Ive had stalls in middle and to right, but I keep getting pinged with brass from semis to my left. This time i got early and took left most stall. Wind blowing from left drifted BP smoke in front everyone so i had to wait till they were done before i shot. Still trying to learn range etiquette. Most were cool. A couple were doing the fake cough and hand waving.

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    When I shot at Elk neck I had made a stand out of 3/4 PVC. I think my son would shoot it on purpose so I tossed a handful of couplings a piece of 3/4 PVC and a PVC cutter in my range bag
    I can not deny that I may have shot a friend's 2" PVC stand uprights to see if I could hit it. But it was at 100 yards :innocent0
    He took the hit in good fun.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    Can anyone estimate how far it is from the parking lot to the shooting range benches? Thanks.

Wondering if a person has several rifle cases to take a hand truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom