• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Wood can usually take more hits than PVC.
    "But Art, I'm a good enough shot to not hit my target frame. "
    In my limited experience at Elk Neck, the bullets that hit my target frame did not come from my lane...that's why my experience there will remain limited.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    One hit on PVC and it will explode. I bought this target stand and use 1x2's, large binder clips, cut up amazon boxes and stick on reactive targets. The stand uses either 1x2's or 2x4's. I like to build stuff myself and I can't think of anyway, right off, that I could have made this any better.

Amazon product ASIN B01MRJSRPT

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...

Easiest guide there is.

That's essentially what I made. I also did not glue some of the parts ( for transportability purposes ) but rather pushed some of them together. I also used numerous 10 lbs. Barbell weights placed on the base to "TRY" to keep the target stand from blowing over in the wind.

BTW, I did not use PVC for the two taller vertical pieces but used two wood furring strips. These are able to take occasional hits without severe damage. I then staple the paper targets to the wood. I use B-27 size targets.

Last edited:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    When I go I avoid Mondays and Fridays. For the rifle range, shooting begins @ 9AM so I get there around 8:30 to get a lane. Never seems to be many on the pistol range but the rifle range can get busy sometimes. Daily fee is $10 so you need to stop at the range station entrance to fill out a form and deposit $10. They also have (2) shotgun platforms.

You will also need your own targets and a target stand that meets the Elk Neck Ranges specs. Check the DNR website.

It's about a 40-45 minute ride from Perry Hall. Have fun.

If I was you, I'd probably join Hopewell or Delta, they are both probably 40-45 minutes from Perry Hall. SLCFSA is probably even worth adding another 20 mins of drive time on top. No stupid shit to deal with, including crowds, RSO's, Handgun draw certification, etc.

I swung by Delta this past Friday a little after 4pm, left right before 6pm and I was the only person there the entire time.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    That's essentially what I made. I also did not glue some of the parts ( for transportability purposes ) but rather pushed some of them together. I also used numerous 10 lbs. Barbell weights placed on the base to "TRY" to keep the target stand from blowing over in the wind.

BTW, I did not use PVC for the two taller vertical pieces but used two wood furring strips. These are able to take occasional hits without severe damage. I then staple the paper targets to the wood. I use B-27 size targets.

He uses furring strips on the guide too, if someone is shooting 3 ft low enough to hit the PVC that's probably sign to stop shooting forever haha.

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    If I was you, I'd probably join Hopewell or Delta, they are both probably 40-45 minutes from Perry Hall. SLCFSA is probably even worth adding another 20 mins of drive time on top. No stupid shit to deal with, including crowds, RSO's, Handgun draw certification, etc.

I swung by Delta this past Friday a little after 4pm, left right before 6pm and I was the only person there the entire time.
    I searched a couple in PA. They actually let you put pistols in holster. Imagine that, carrying pistols as they were meant to. Can you please provide me more specific links to these 2, Hopewell & Delta? You can send directly to captainvane1721@gmail.com if you dont want to clutter the board. Much appreciated.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    In all honesty, Southern Lancaster County Farmers Sportsman Association is the easiest to join. Show up at a new member orientation, usually a Sunday but maybe a Saturday... Takes like an hour and a half. Hand someone a check to pay for it and a few weeks later your gate card is activated, I think there's one date left. It's not a work club.

At Delta, a member has to vouch for you, and you have to work 8 hours for the entire newbie year I think it is. I don't really know to be honest, I just send them money every year and they mail me the next years card, I only check the calendar on the website to make sure nothing is going on the weeknights I go. Ive been a member for like 15 years, when all you did is show up at the monthly Monday meeting and pay for it.

Hopewell Fish and Game is a work club too except you work before you're even a member if I understand that correctly. Some people like that stuff.

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    In all honesty, Southern Lancaster County Farmers Sportsman Association is the easiest to join. Show up at a new member orientation, usually a Sunday but maybe a Saturday... Takes like an hour and a half. Hand someone a check to pay for it and a few weeks later your gate card is activated, I think there's one date left. It's not a work club.

At Delta, a member has to vouch for you, and you have to work 8 hours for the entire newbie year I think it is. I don't really know to be honest, I just send them money every year and they mail me the next years card, I only check the calendar on the website to make sure nothing is going on the weeknights I go. Ive been a member for like 15 years, when all you did is show up at the monthly Monday meeting and pay for it.

Hopewell Fish and Game is a work club too except you work before you're even a member if I understand that correctly. Some people like that stuff.
    I was a plebe in a fraternity in college. Ruined me for working clubs, spent 3 years as a member of yacht club. Nope. Will check out the Lancaster one, thx for taking time to reply.

johnsopi

Feb 8, 2018
    Northeast range gets windy I bring tent spikes so the stand does not blow over. Now I find the 15 min extra travel time to Alex range worth it.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I was a plebe in a fraternity in college. Ruined me for working clubs, spent 3 years as a member of yacht club. Nope. Will check out the Lancaster one, thx for taking time to reply.
    SLCFSA last join date this year is April 8th this coming Saturday if you miss that you will have to wait until next January. Since this is on Saturday morning bring hearing protection the ranges will be operating.

Link scroll down to "NEW MEMBERSHIP 2023" for details:

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Wood can usually take more hits than PVC.
    "But Art, I'm a good enough shot to not hit my target frame. "
    In my limited experience at Elk Neck, the bullets that hit my target frame did not come from my lane...that's why my experience there will remain limited.
    Amen, it was a bit scary even when I was a volunteer RSO there. Can't say I miss it. YAHOO!!!! or is it YEEHA!!!

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    I know we cant shoot on Sundays, but, does anyone know if the range is accessible on Sunday morning just to check out the layout? Thinking of taking a ride in morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom