• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KD999

Dec 18, 2012
    Virginia
    So, I already have coverage for the limit on general "firearms" and I want to add more to my policy they tell me that I have to add a personal items rider.

The agent was very helpful and I don't blame her but after I go to the trouble of supplying details on all the items, she says she has to ask me more questions. She starts with "Are any of these assault rifles". I f***in lose my mind and lay into her. I say I will cancel all of my policies tonight!! I ask her "What is an assault rifle?" She says "I can google it". I almost have a coronary. "How the f*** can you ask me if something is something that you can't even define???".

Can someone tell me a company that isn't a bunch of dumbasses that I can get coverage from? I heard the NRA insurance only pays under a limited number of circumstances. I have been trying to do this for several days and spent 1hr on the phone tonight. I am so pissed, I can hardly type this.

CLP

Dec 18, 2012
    Look into erie, I can't tell you much about what there firearms coverage is like but I know overall travlers is a very picky company, and from my experiences with erie they seem to have a lot more generosity in covering claims.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    State Farm covers up to either 2500 or 5000 on a homeowners policy. A rider for firearms is very easy to get, you just tell them the make/model and serial number plus value to replace it, and they set it up for you with no problems.

KD999

Dec 18, 2012
    Virginia
    Thank you. I'm going to call them tomorrow too. I swear there are so many ways that they are coming at us. I am calmed down now. lol. When she came back she clarified that what she needed to know was "Are they all legal." I assured her that they were and that is all they needed to know. But my quote was high as hell, so I'm going to call Erie tomorrow. Now I need a cold beer to calm down some more.

CLP

Dec 18, 2012
    The down fall I believe with state farm is that their homeowners now has a 2000$ deductible. They also do not cover mold.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    I have no issue with them. all of my gear is covered by serial number/make/model and every month I add 2-3 more without question.

On_Target

Feb 7, 2013
    Thank you. I'm going to call them tomorrow too. I swear there are so many ways that they are coming at us. I am calmed down now. lol. When she came back she clarified that what she needed to know was "Are they all legal." I assured her that they were and that is all they needed to know. But my quote was high as hell, so I'm going to call Erie tomorrow. Now I need a cold beer to calm down some more.
    Call the NRA. Use the carrier associated with them. They can carve out a policy according to your needs. I have insane insurance in the millions for hundreds a year, nobody else came close by a long shot. They are worth reexamining. They are also the only group I have ever used that has ever sent me a premium refund over the years.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    The down fall I believe with state farm is that their homeowners now has a 2000$ deductible. They also do not cover mold.

Yup they raised the deductable to $2000 last year - no more $500 deductable.

The deductable is $1000 if you have your Auto, and Home owners with them.

I wasnt too pleased on how State Farm handled my claim last year after a lightning strike. My local agent, and his co workers were all great, but the main office/claims was lousy. My agent had to call them and set them straight, and get their ass in gear to get my claim moving along.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    KD,
    Geico stands for Govt. Employees Insurance company. I'm not trying to be smart, but that may have something to do with it. :shrug:

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Call the NRA. Use the carrier associated with them. They can carve out a policy according to your needs. I have insane insurance in the millions for hundreds a year, nobody else came close by a long shot. They are worth reexamining. They are also the only group I have ever used that has ever sent me a premium refund over the years.
    +1 I would check NRA, took me a few years to give AAA a shot for my car insurance, now they have also my home and boat insurance. Worth giving the organisation a shot that has the most interet in ging said coverage

KD999

Dec 18, 2012
    Virginia
    KD,
    Geico stands for Govt. Employees Insurance company. I'm not trying to be smart, but that may have something to do with it. :shrug:
    Originally, yeah. That's funny. But I sat there and listened to a hold message saying how they support troops and law enforcement. . .yada yada yada.

Then, they turn around and ask me if any of them are assault rifles. lol. I asked her "So do you do policies for LEO or military?" It doesn't seem like it. To her credit she took my explosions in stride until I calmed down and she clarified (we clarified some of the stuff).

At one point she told me that gave me a disclaimer that she was going to answer the way she had to and it didn't reflect her opinion. hahaha. After I asked about their policy that all firearms must be stored unloaded (which I do anyhow) she said "When it comes to someone getting hurt by a firearm, that is a liablity issue for us, but if you get hurt, that isn't" Meaning, if someone is going to get hurt in the home by a firearm (like during a robbery), it's better for them if I get hurt vs. the burglar. At least she was honest. SMH.

IMO, there are two parts to a good insurance company: 1) the policy but more importantly 2) the claim and whether they pay out. I have heard good things about USAA and I know they cut checks. Heard good things about Erie too.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Originally, yeah. That's funny. But I sat there and listened to a hold message saying how they support troops and law enforcement. . .yada yada yada.

Then, they turn around and ask me if any of them are assault rifles. lol. I asked her "So do you do policies for LEO or military?" It doesn't seem like it. To her credit she took my explosions in stride until I calmed down and she clarified (we clarified some of the stuff).

At one point she told me that gave me a disclaimer that she was going to answer the way she had to and it didn't reflect her opinion. hahaha. After I asked about their policy that all firearms must be stored unloaded (which I do anyhow) she said "When it comes to someone getting hurt by a firearm, that is a liablity issue for us, but if you get hurt, that isn't" Meaning, if someone is going to get hurt in the home by a firearm (like during a robbery), it's better for them if I get hurt vs. the burglar. At least she was honest. SMH.

IMO, there are two parts to a good insurance company: 1) the policy but more importantly 2) the claim and whether they pay out. I have heard good things about USAA and I know they cut checks. Heard good things about Erie too.

I've heard good things about USAA too,but nothine about Erie. I guess I should call my agent too. Good luck with it.

HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD
    Erie is higher then State Farm (was for me) and Erie would not insure my home because I have a wood stove.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Who underwrites the policies? Questions may not be from the companies themselves. Instead, it is a question from the underwriter of the company who is actually insuring the policy. I think the companies you mention may be the agents for the policy, but not the actual insurer. Hopefully this post makes some sense...been a long day

Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    I dumped Geico for our entire family (home, life, three vehicles, umbrella) after what they put us through. Hurricane Irene put a 4' oak tree through our house. With the impact damage and water damage from the rain that came through the gaping hole in the roof, about %50-60 of our house was destroyed. Geico's subsidiary (Homesite) treated us like criminals from day one. After a month had gone by while being fully ignored (never picking up the phone, and never once returning phone calls or emails) I had to get the MD Insurance Commissioner involved. Then, they sent in some adjuster from Texas (I think) who knew nothing about houses except for roofs. They sent us chump change, less than %50 of the total value of the damage, and the adjustment was a complete joke. We had to fight tooth and nail for every cent afterward... Needless to say, we dumped Geico wholesale after that treatment.

We had a neighbor who had a similar size tree come through their house at the exact same time with a very similar amount of damage. They had the polar opposite experience with Nationwide- and that's who I'm with now. I have been very pleased with them so far.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Collectibles Insurance Agency

good folks, don't want serial numbers, won't enter in computer unless you authorize them to do so, reasonable rates

KD999

Dec 18, 2012
    Virginia
    Who underwrites the policies? Questions may not be from the companies themselves. Instead, it is a question from the underwriter of the company who is actually insuring the policy. I think the companies you mention may be the agents for the policy, but not the actual insurer. Hopefully this post makes some sense...been a long day
    The man behind the curtain. My first call I was told that I couldn't add anything without details and I told them it was none of their business but if I filed a claim I would provide proof of ownership. After asking if I could speak to a supervisor, she came back and said the "underwriter" said it was ok up to a limit (which just so happen to be the amount I arbitrarily mentioned initially). Today when I asked about who is the underwriter, she said "Actually, I am an underwriter." Lol. I said "I'm actually Barack Obama."

Then she proceeded to ask me to pay in advance for the policy. I said email it to me. She said she couldn't until I paid. When I repeated that idiotic statement and asked her if I walked into a Geico office and asked for this rider would you tell me the same thing. After speaking with "someone" she emailed it to me. Tomorrow I will be calling someone to take all my policies from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom