• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yme

Platinum Member
    Nov 3, 2012
    I dumped Geico for our entire family (home, life, three vehicles, umbrella) after what they put us through. Hurricane Irene put a 4' oak tree through our house. With the impact damage and water damage from the rain that came through the gaping hole in the roof, about %50-60 of our house was destroyed. Geico's subsidiary (Homesite) treated us like criminals from day one. After a month had gone by while being fully ignored (never picking up the phone, and never once returning phone calls or emails) I had to get the MD Insurance Commissioner involved. Then, they sent in some adjuster from Texas (I think) who knew nothing about houses except for roofs. They sent us chump change, less than %50 of the total value of the damage, and the adjustment was a complete joke. We had to fight tooth and nail for every cent afterward... Needless to say, we dumped Geico wholesale after that treatment.

We had a neighbor who had a similar size tree come through their house at the exact same time with a very similar amount of damage. They had the polar opposite experience with Nationwide- and that's who I'm with now. I have been very pleased with them so far.

Sorry to hear about the hassle you went through. I have Geico now and even though I haven't had any experience with them yet, I'll look into Nationwide as well

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Collectibles Insurance Agency

good folks, don't want serial numbers, won't enter in computer unless you authorize them to do so, reasonable rates

This is who I use. You only have to specifically list a gun over a certain dollar amount. The amount is high so most guns require no schedule. Located in Hunt Valley MD. They also over guns stored off premise and in transit.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Look into erie, I can't tell you much about what there firearms coverage is like but I know overall travlers is a very picky company, and from my experiences with erie they seem to have a lot more generosity in covering claims.

This. I switched late last year and I think they have a rider that has no questions asked 5k coverage that includes firearms. More was purchasable if you'd like.

NRA-Benefactor

Defend Freedom
    Feb 4, 2013
    Calvert County
    My only concern is if my insurance company has make model and serial # of all my firearms, I feel like They just got registered.

You don't think for a minute if big brother comes knocking on the insurance company's door that they won't roll over and give up all the info????

7mm

Mar 26, 2011
    Call a good neighbor (State Farm Agent) I dont think they require SN just a general description...

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    This. I switched late last year and I think they have a rider that has no questions asked 5k coverage that includes firearms. More was purchasable if you'd like.

Yep, I have Erie and I just sent my agent an email and asked to have my 5k raised to 10k. I got an email back with the price increase and after I approved I got an email with the updated policy attached. That’s all it took.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    KD,
    Geico stands for Govt. Employees Insurance company. I'm not trying to be smart, but that may have something to do with it. :shrug:

They used to service government employees exclusively. They service the general public now, but have always been privately owned, not government sponsered.

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    Call a good neighbor (State Farm Agent) I dont think they require SN just a general description...

It may be different because mine is a renters insurance policy but i never have had to provide anything about my firearms for my firearms rider with State Farm. They do not know make, model, SN, not even if they are rifles/pistols/shotguns. All i had to do was check the box that told them i wanted the coverage and what $ value i wanted (as stated before either $2500 or $5000) Im sure if i wanted to cover more than that (which iwll need to do so very shortly) i can just call my agent and put in another rider or something

pitbull

Jan 23, 2013
    i dont know how true it is ( it was on facebook) but there was something going around about geico dropping firearms companies. i would assume that means dealers. and ive also heard in the past that they supply radar and speed trap equipment to law enforcement. kind if a sneaky way to be able to jack up rates.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    If you have an "In" I love my USAA homeowners. And since they are military based, I would think they are gun friendly. I should look into updating my policy since I've recently started my collection.

terp

Jul 12, 2007
    Collectibles Insurance Agency

Only requires serial numbers on big ticket items, and very reasonably priced.

I have Erie for everything else, and they would have written a firearms rider, but they wanted serial numbers for everything which is more info than I wanted to give them and one more hassle with every new acquisition.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    I have travelers and when I told them I needed to up the firearms coverage to $10k no one asked any questions. Of course I did this through AAA agent not Travelers but still never got any questions from Travelers. Going to look into collectibles ins agency above. I need a lot more coverage now that prices have spiked.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    As long as you don't want them scheduled separately, Erie can upgrade your homeowners coverage for firearms to $13,000. No lists, etc.

Ultracover HO policy is $3,000
    Firearms endrorsement adds $5,000
    Supplemental coverage endorsement adds $5,000

The additional $10,000 over the initial policy costs about $70 per year.

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    I may have to look into changing away from Geico myself. I havent had to file any claims with them in the 5 years I've had their insurance services, but if this is how I would be treated... Sheesh.

KD999

Dec 18, 2012
    Virginia
    Collectibles seems the best option right now. They have been around for a long time, they are local which makes me feel a little better but they also have a good rep with claims and they will do a blanket policy and even include transit coverage.

KD999

Dec 18, 2012
    Virginia
    Collectibles seems the best option right now. They have been around for a long time, they are local which makes me feel a little better but they also have a good rep with claims and they will do a blanket policy and even include transit coverage.

Old Salty Dog

Ultimate Member
    Nov 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    As others have said, USAA is first rate if you are eligible. We have had a few large claims with them over the years, including a whopper claim from the Northridge Earthquake in 94. We could not have been treated better.
    They will ask for serial numbers, though, if you do a separate schedule for your guns. Their basic coverage as part of the homeowners policy is something like $2500 for guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom