• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    37959.jpeg

Spent a wonderful time with my two youngest boys at Project Appleseed this weekend.

The event was hosted by the Southern Lancaster County Farmers Sportsmen Association. The range is about 50 minutes from our place. I liked the range so much that I'm going to try and snag a membership.

Day 1 put a whooping on me. Our scores improved dramatically thanks to the excellent instruction. I used to think teaching AR Technical Classes wore me down, but that long, cold, and windy winter day gave me pains in places I didn't know existed.

Some Ibuprofen and some rest and I was ready for Day 2 and our AQT's (Appleseed Qualification Target).

All the shooters at the event had 10/22's with exception to my boys and I. Since my Training School focuses on the AR, I wanted all of us to use an AR based .22 with the same manual of arms as our centerfire 5.56 AR's. We chose the Smith & Wesson 15-22 and I enhanced them based on my experience with them as a Gunsmith. (Video about them linked below)

The 15-22 were the underdogs of the day. We had 3 malfunctions between us. Those malfunctions included 2 Failures to Fire, and the Sling Swivel Screw backed out in my M4 Buttstock at the end of day 2. I finished my AQT with the Loop/Cuff Sling Method, instead of the Hasty-Hasty Sling Method. All of our M4 Sling Swivels all be reinstalled with Vibrate VC-3.

The 10 other shooters had approximately 20 malfunctions combined. The 15-22's performance impressed one of the instructors so much that he asked me what I did to them to make them shoot so well.

For the most part, .22 Appleseed Rifle Events are dominated by the 10/22. Several instructors joked with me about my 15-22 and how I would have done better with the "superior" 10/22. ;). It was all in good fun.

The two top shooters of the day had 10/22's. I placed 3rd.

My wife took numerous photos and videos. We plan to make a video about our wonderful experience on my YouTube Channel.

These were our high scores for Day 2.

Chad 225
    Winterseed/Rifleman Patch
    Cleared Redcoat Target/PA Militia Patch

Tristan 210
    Winterseed/Rifleman Patch
    Cleared Redcoat Target/PA Militia Patch
    Minor Shooter Patch

Gabriel 208
    Minor Shooter Patch

I'm so proud of my boys. We will be attending future Project Appleseed Events. Our Appleseed Instructors were fantastic, my boys thought the world of them, and Project Appleseed as a whole.

Thank you Project Appleseed, the selfless Appleseed Instructors who volunteered their weekend, and the Southern Lancaster County Farmers Sportsmen Association.

Last edited:

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Congrats to you all!

I love seeing a father doing cool stuff with his kids! And that looks truly cool!!

Your a great dad with a great family, congrats.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I'm an SLCFSA member

It's a nice facility and VERY affordable. $100 your first year $75 after that. One range badge is good for the holder, immediate family, and 3 guests.

Most of the time when I go on Mondays I'm alone

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm an SLCFSA member

It's a nice facility and VERY affordable. $100 your first year $75 after that. One range badge is good for the holder, immediate family, and 3 guests.

Most of the time when I go on Mondays I'm alone
    I'm going to give membership a try. Just have to find a weekend I'm not teaching so I can submit my application.

I see they vote on new members after a probationary period. Not sure if I would make the cut, but I'm of the opinion you miss the shots you don't take.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I'm going to give membership a try. Just have to find a weekend I'm not teaching so I can submit my application.

I see they vote on new members after a probationary period. Not sure if I would make the cut, but I'm of the opinion you miss the shots you don't take.
    It's a token vote meant to weed out people with immediate range violations and issues etc

Volunteer RSOs. I've seen one one time and he was nice. Some of the staff is kinda fuddish but the only real rules they get cranky over are police your brass and DO NOT touch a gun when folks are down range.

Terps2003

MDS Supporter
    Feb 14, 2023
    Baltimore County

I’m a member as well. Just need to attend a new member orientation and pretty much think everyone gets voted in.

I have been looking into Project Appleseed and am thinking of taking it with my daughter. Glad to hear you used your 15-22. Was thinking of just using my 10/22 but may now consider using my RRA LAR-22.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I’m a member as well. Just need to attend a new member orientation and pretty much think everyone gets voted in.

I have been looking into Project Appleseed and am thinking of taking it with my daughter. Glad to hear you used your 15-22. Was thinking of just using my 10/22 but may now consider using my RRA LAR-22.
    I would schedule one asap. Regardless of how you both do, it's a wonderful parent/child experience.

I'm of the opinion you should shoot something you plan to use on a regular basis.

For example if you are a fan of the M1/M14 Design, a 10/22 is the best approach. Somewhat similar manual of arms.

If you are an AR person, then an AR is a smart decision.

For youngster's a light .22 will fatigue them less.

The AR magazine well does make going into the proper positions with sling use more difficult.

Last edited:

Terps2003

MDS Supporter
    Feb 14, 2023
    Baltimore County
    I would schedule one asap. Regardless of how you both do, it's a wonderful parent/child experience.

I'm of the opinion you should shoot something you plan to use on a regular basis.

For example if you are a fan of the M1/M14 Design a 10/22 is the best approach. Somewhat similar manual of arms.

If you are an AR person, then am AR is a smart decision.

For youngster's a light .22 will fatigue them less.

The AR magazine well does make going into the proper positions in prone more difficult.
    Thanks. I was looking at upcoming dates. Just need to get it scheduled. I shoot both types and actually have the M1 stock on my 10/22. My daughter will def use her 10/22.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Nice brother. I thought they had issues with the AR 15-22. Remember? and were not allowed..... Glad to see them allowed. Or perhaps here in MD

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Appleseed seems a great way to learn then exercise some skills.
    Even better when young people can participate with their Dad.
    Nice to see someone taking advantage of the opportunity and spending Q time with family members and being a role model at the same time.
    Way to go!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The next opportunity to join is Saturday April 8th at 8:30. That is the last chance until next January. They only accept new members 4 times a year. One day each in January, February, march and April.
    It's a great range and super nice people. The Gun Show was this weekend at the fairgrounds, October show should be in the clubhouse

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The next opportunity to join is Saturday April 8th at 8:30. That is the last chance until next January. They only accept new members 4 times a year. One day each in January, February, march and April.
    It's a great range and super nice people. The Gun Show was this weekend at the fairgrounds, October show should be in the clubhouse
    Thank you for that info. I'll make time to attend.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    At what distance were you shooting?
    I've been hearing a lot of good about, and a lot of fun activities at SLCFSA. And if they let Bertfish in, I might stand a chance. ;)

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Great thread! Thank you.

A wonderful reminder that fun can be had …TOGETHER.

Chad and family doing the Appleseed.

Thanks also to all who volunteer their time and often, their supplies, to teach others our beloved shooting sports.

Appreciate the share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom