• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Any reasons why? I've not had any issues with my blow back. Other than reduced recoil what are the benefits?
    The recoil impulse of a blowback 9mm carbine is comparable to a .223, there is over penetration concerns and the energy delivered downrange is a fraction of an AR rifle. The ammo for a 9mm is less expensive, but that is the only plus I can think of. Shooting a roller delayed PCC next to a blowback PCC is night and day.
    If you're using a blowback 9mm in a competition that requires a PCC, then go for it. I would highly consider looking into the extra $300 (or so) and getting a roller delayed. It makes the shooting experience much better via follow up shots and carbine control.
    I first got interest after watching @gmharle shoot a roller relayed AR at an AGC Falling Steel match. I thought he was a PCC god because of how fast and accurately he shot it. At the end of the match, he let @rbird7282 try it out and afterwards rbird7282 explained it wasn't a blowback and that's how they were able to shoot so accurately, so quick. Try one out someday- you'll be impressed.

Last edited:

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Any reasons why? I've not had any issues with my blow back. Other than reduced recoil what are the benefits?
    Blowback is super reliable. Tens of millions of blowback machine guns exist. Tons and tons of HiPoints, etc. The only issues are harsher recoil and more gas back at the shooter if suppressed. There is nothing inherently wrong w/ blowback. It works and is inherently less expensive to manufacture.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Blowback is super reliable. Tens of millions of blowback machine guns exist. Tons and tons of HiPoints, etc. The only issues are harsher recoil and more gas back at the shooter if suppressed. There is nothing inherently wrong w/ blowback. It works and is inherently less expensive to manufacture.
    This!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    My take…and I admit this is partially because I don’t car much for pcc’s of any design…the AR pattern pcc blowback actions are pricey for what they are. $1200 will buy a quite decent 5.56 AR carbine. I don’t see anything except demand driving up the price of AR pcc’s. But then, as stated, I don’t care much for pcc’s - if I really need a carbine it will be rifle caliber.

All that said I admire the shooting prowess of many who shoot them. It works for them… :party29:

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I for one love retro AR's, and that was my main reason for posting. You are in this case paying a premium for a retro look that's not even really 100%correct (wrong delta ring for example). I still like it.

I have both radial-delayed and standard blowback PCC's. Actually getting in the process of procuring a second RDB PCC that I will SBR. IDK my blowback PCCs run really well once you get the right spring and buffer.

But yeah - this would be a nice second upper to an existing SBR PCC (with mods for OAL)

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My take…and I admit this is partially because I don’t car much for pcc’s of any design…the AR pattern pcc blowback actions are pricey for what they are. $1200 will buy a quite decent 5.56 AR carbine. I don’t see anything except demand driving up the price of AR pcc’s. But then, as stated, I don’t care much for pcc’s - if I really need a carbine it will be rifle caliber.

All that said I admire the shooting prowess of many who shoot them. It works for them… :party29:
    That used to be my take. I had a 20" M16 A1 in the Army and could not understand why anyone would want (1) a barrel less than 20", and (2) a pistol caliber instead of 5.56 NATO, both of which diminish the effectiveness of the rifle. But truth is; SBR's with a can are way too much fun. Also, 9mm is a quiet and mild round (even in a blowback) that is cost effective and easy to reload.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Just curious, what are used, 80’s era *Colt* 9mm AR’s fetching now? Ballpark …
    Real Colt? IDK but I am sure they ain't cheap. Colt made a bunch of different 9mm's for the commercial market. My understanding is that the Colt 9mm's are popular outside the US for LE and security applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom