• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Probably a dumb question . If I am adding an extension to a barrel to increase the rifle OAL, say a 1" extension to an 8" barrel, do I enter 8 for the barrel length or 9?

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Barrel length is based upon permanent length. If not pinned/welded or silver brazed, the length is to the end of the threads- muzzle device is not included.
    Ok. I have an 8" barreled AR pistol - but - I am using a Just Right Carbine buffer tube (for the SBR) that is 1" longer (will have to add a spacer behind the buffer spring) and will make up the difference with a barrel extension. So that will have to be like 9.5" or so after permanent attach. I will need to do some measurements. Thanks.

Ok. I have an 8" barreled AR pistol - but - I am using a Just Right Carbine buffer tube that is 1" longer (will have to add a spacer behind the buffer spring) and will make up the difference with a barrel extension. So that will have to be like 9.5" or so after permanent attach. I will need to do some measurements. Thanks.
    I am the MDS'er who proved a JRC buffer tube and a long LOP buttstock can get a 8.5" barrel to 29" OAL. Look into the longest LOP AR stocks and I'm sure you can pull it off. Luth AR makes a really long one.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Probably less effort just to swap to a 10.5
    ^^^This. There is no shame in having a 10.5" barrel on an SBR.

100 yard groups through my 10.5 300 Blk SBR, both supers and subs...

blackoutsuper.jpg
    blackoutsubs.jpg

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Don’t quote me on this but I thought your minimum barrel length on a SBR is 10”. Overall length of the SBR is 29” for MD. So if your barrel is 8” and you weld, silver solder or blind pin a 2” break/extension to the barrel your good to go.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

^^^This. There is no shame in having a 10.5" barrel on an SBR.

100 yard groups through my 10.5 300 Blk SBR, both supers and subs...

View attachment 397445 View attachment 397446

I could always use an extra 300 Black upper. But yeah - this one is a CMMG 45ACP.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Well - this brings up a great point. I could re-purpose the lower all together. But no, I already sunk a bunch of money into this thing, and it is a ton of fun to shoot. I am concerned about a barrel extension not being straight and causing a baffle strike. So if this can be solved by a 16" LOP, whatever, I'd rather do that.

IMG_2318.jpeg

pistol-45acp-aero-x15.jpg

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Wow - this Luth AR MBA-1 Rifle Buttstock would certainly get me there. Kind of a grandiose butt stock for this kind of rifle, but I could always replace it when I retire out of state.

July4th-MBA-1-2.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I could always use an extra 300 Black upper. But yeah - this one is a CMMG 45ACP.
    My bad. I saw Smokey's post and reacted to that.

Me, I'm keeping my pistols as pistols until which time, I can leave this paradise know as Merryland. Then I will SBR them, which was always my want.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Probably a dumb question . If I am adding an extension to a barrel to increase the rifle OAL, say a 1" extension to an 8" barrel, do I enter 8 for the barrel length or 9?
    Is there a barrel extension that will work on your gun?
    Are you suppressing your 'pistol'? A tri-lug adapter would add length as well as functionality. Obviously it would have to be permanently attached.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Do not comply. The letter hasn't even been filed yet and everyone's shitting their pants. You still have 120 days after it's official. I'm holding to see what happens.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Me, I'm keeping my pistols as pistols until which time, I can leave this paradise know as Merryland. Then I will SBR them, which was always my want.
    I think this is a great strategy, but it's not clear to me any more what constitutes a pistol configuration for an AR and how that may change yet again in the future. From a shooting standpoint, I am not a fan of pistol braces, but am glad we adopted them as an alternative for shooters that do find them useful. I like the three lug you posted.

I think this is a great strategy, but it's not clear to me any more what constitutes a pistol configuration for an AR and how that may change yet again in the future. From a shooting standpoint, I am not a fan of pistol braces, but am glad we adopted them as an alternative for shooters that do find them useful. I like the three lug you posted.
    SD Tactical has them on closeout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom