• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I just ordered some seeds for this year. I primarily grow tomatoes and peppers. I have been growing lettuce and spinach in my greenhouse and I am looking forward to getting started on spring/summer vegetables.
    I will probably wait 4-6 weeks before getting started.

rswangz

Jan 14, 2013
    Carroll Co
    Home grown tomaters are the best. What varieties? I always plant Big Beef, Brandy Boy, Super Sweet 100, and Sun Sugar, along with a few new varieties. I tried Momotaro last year and was impressed, probably make room for it again this year.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I use containers and have a modest lean-to greenhouse. As such, I started 12 tomato seeds on 1/21 and have 12 seedlings nearing 2" tall already. Can't wait for some garden tomatoes. I have not had a tomato since I last harvested in September. I'll also grow peppers and cucumbers.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    The only thing I start this early is onions (from seed).

Oh, and I bought a couple of sweet potatoes before Christmas; I just leave them sit in a wire basket until they produce slips.

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    Technically this is 2023 horseradish harvest but I didn't get it out of the ground until last week due to the snow and cold weather.

Horseradish2024.jpg

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I highly recommend Celebrity tomatoes as a good overall slicer. Vibrant red with very few blemishes, low acid and great taste. It will be a staple in my garden going forward.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    I highly recommend Celebrity tomatoes as a good overall slicer. Vibrant red with very few blemishes, low acid and great taste. It will be a staple in my garden going forward.

That is a determent correct? Thanks for the tip I will give a few plants a shot

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    The last two years I used a foot warmer pad with a temp probe and switch to keep soil just right for seeds. Worked great for starting peppers. I had issues in past with the hots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    That is a determent correct? Thanks for the tip I will give a few plants a shot
    Correct. I bought plants from Valley View Farms and they really did well. I went there to get some mortgage lifters and grabbed a few celebrity plants on a whim. I really didn't know anything about them but they were great. Mortgage lifters are a fun tomato to grow. They are huge.

Mortgage Lifter
    IMG_7754.jpeg

Celebrity
    IMG_7669.jpeg

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I agree. They seem to perform well in my garden. I would also recommend Early Girl.
    They are both very disease resistant.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Starting a group of herbs this weekend just to have around. I got the ok from Park and Planning (my wife). Two tomatoes that I have very good luck with are Better Boy and Rutgers. I got a couple of seed heating mats and never looked back. Day and night difference in germination times.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    I know it's the 2024 thread, but my fall 2023
    collards and mustard greens keep on keeping on...

Attachments

• 20240131_154315.jpg
      20240131_154315.jpg
      508.6 KB · Views: 29
    • 20240131_154322.jpg
      20240131_154322.jpg
      532 KB · Views: 28

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Just put in a seed order, including some Celebrity tomatoes. I also bought Habanada Pepper, Tricked You Hybrid Pepper, Purple Beauty Pepper, and Husky Cherry Red Hybrid Tomato. I will be starting these along with sun sugar tomatoes, and I will be buying a couple hot jalapeños and red & yellow sweet peppers.

I'm longing for the day in five months or so when I am on my deck eating a steak and looking at my jungle as a hummingbird stops by to nectar on tomato flowers.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    So, where do you all recommend buying seeds?

In years past I bought seedlings from the local farmers market, but this last year the price of seedlings was up to ~$4-5 per plant. Given how many randomly distributed seedlings show up later (~may) from prior year fallen tomatoes, I decided to go cheap/easy and use the wild seedlings. The wild seedlings all ended up being varieties of cherry tomatoes (gold, red round, red elongated), and none of the prior year's (early girl, cherokee purple).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom