• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rswangz

Jan 14, 2013
    Carroll Co
    I buy most online. SeedsNSuch for trying new varieties since they have small packets (some only 5 seeds). Burpee (can catch free shipping on seeds sometimes), Johnny's (very nice catalog with helpful planting info), and Gurney's. Nourse Farms is the best for berries (strawberry, raspberry, etc).

jspero

Aug 6, 2009
    One Foot Out The Door
    So, where do you all recommend buying seeds?
    I have had very good luck with seeds here:

I buy all of my seeds from them (formerly Kitazawa Seed Co) and they pretty much all grow. Very few seeds did not germinate over the few years I have been experimenting with gardening (me killing them is another story!). They have a good selection of Asian seeds which why I first used them.

So... For 2024: I still have a bunch of my fall 2023 plants in waiting as an experiment to see if anything happens with them. It was my first attempt at fall planting and I planted most of them too late last year to fully mature. I have red and orange carrots that still look healthy, but have not grown. Also some Asian hot radishes and spinach in the same state. I had a bunch of beets planted, but I'm pretty sure they are all dead and I'll just turn them under in a month or so before I plant the spring crop with fresh seeds.

The one thing I'm excited about is garlic. I planted about 15 in the fall and am really hoping they come up. I hunted around quite a while to find some that was locally grown and had not been treated. For all that effort they BETTER grow! :)

I have a 4x4 bed dedicated to June-bearing strawberries (second season), and slots in the other beds for carrots, beets, hot and red radishes, bell peppers, Chinese egg plant, Thai peppers, jalapenos, bok choy, red onions, green onions, and leeks. I will also plant a bunch of marigolds in the beds spread around for pest control. On the deck will be all my herbs and tomatoes, probably parsley, rosemary, lemon grass, cilantro, spearmint, peppermint, chives. I have not decided on the tomato varieties yet. I'll buy startes at the nursery, but I may just decide on the spot.

Anyway, good luck to everyone this year!

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Planted 4 rows of garlic today. Planted it last spring and did not grow well. Do you need to mulch, water well? Had a few bulbs I missed as they were small. Pulled them out as I could see the green tops emerging. Dug furrows and split all the cloves and replanted them.

I had crap growth for onions and garlic last year and would like to change that.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Planted 4 rows of garlic today. Planted it last spring and did not grow well. Do you need to mulch, water well? Had a few bulbs I missed as they were small. Pulled them out as I could see the green tops emerging. Dug furrows and split all the cloves and replanted them.

I had crap growth for onions and garlic last year and would like to change that.
    I have never tried planting in the early spring. I always plant garlic in the fall for an early summer harvest. I don’t mulch or water it over winter. I mulch in late spring once it is about a foot tall for weed control. I may water if it has not rained in a while. My garlic growing area is a row of mounded up top soil and amendments from the leaf mulch and chicken coop. The mound is probably 8” tall and 4’ wide by 30’ long. I plant the cloves about 3-4” deep. I would consider it well draining. Pretty easy crop to grow. I use cloves from my previous harvests.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I did with the personal watermelon. I grow whatever I can up. Cucumber, zucchini actually do well vertical if you prune tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    Planted some Paw Paw and American Persimmon seeds in tall nursery pots today. Have been cold stratifying them in the fridge since December. See how that works out.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I planted two fig cuttings yesterday. Also got my seed trays ready.

Its been requested that I add strawberries, blueberries and blackberries into this year's garden.

My thumbs ain't green but I'm trying.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I got dual heat mats from Amazon and sat the peppers on it since they are in the basement, I always had a hard time sprouting and growing peppers. They are up before the Tomatoes. We shall see.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I got dual heat mats from Amazon and sat the peppers on it since they are in the basement, I always had a hard time sprouting and growing peppers. They are up before the Tomatoes. We shall see.

It helps so much with peppers. What kind? A couple tips for anyone. . Don’t keep your seedlings on the mat after they sprout. Can cause leggy plants, especially tomatoes. I got a cheap temp power switch that has temp probe to keep soil temp consistent. Some mats can get up to 90+ degrees and sporadic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Anybody do string less pole beans? I did Kentucky
    wonder last year and they produced well but kinda sucked with the de-stringing

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom