Gauging Interests----A Maryland Shooters Sprint Run Forum Knife?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you purchase a MD Shooters Limited Edition knife? (see post for knife details)

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 40 25.0%
    • Yes, conditionally (please specify)

Votes: 41 25.6%
    • Probably—but still undecided

Votes: 39 24.4%
    • Maybe—undecided

Votes: 19 11.9%
    • No

Votes: 21 13.1%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I sent the info to Benchmade. Hopefully they will say something good.

It may be a better value to go through them or to go through an IP on this forum who is a premium Benchmade dealer so we'll see what they say.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I sent the info to Benchmade. Hopefully they will say something good.

It may be a better value to go through them or to go through an IP on this forum who is a premium Benchmade dealer so we'll see what they say.

Sweet. I'm hoping this works out. If it doesn't for some reason work do you have a personal preference on where to order from if I wanted something custom for the mini griptilian?

Thanks!

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Sweet. I'm hoping this works out. If it doesn't for some reason work do you have a personal preference on where to order from if I wanted something custom for the mini griptilian?

Thanks!

Honestly, I would say get the Ritter Griptilian and have it engraved by a 3rd party or by Benchmade after getting it. When one gets engraving from Benchmade, they usually have to pay full retail if they just get one knife. We won't for this run given it is a large run=quantity discount, but just one knife will.

The Ritter's edge geometry and steel gives it incredible versatility in usage and that's why everyone loves it so much...it uses a high-flat blade grind which many have called the best blade Benchmade has ever produced...and I own at least 40 Benchmades and have handled almost every Blue and Black class model made since like 1999, and I would personally agree. It slices exceptionally well from being a higher grind, but it's edge is hella tough because it is a flat grind. The tip is not so thin heavy work damages it, but not so thick it makes it hard to use with finesse cutting. The spine serrations give better control with both gloves and bare skin. It's also in S30V which is a fantastic steel, and in a stonewashed finish which is tough as hell and hides scratches better than any other finish. 154CM is a great steel, but S30V improves upon it across the board. That high flat grind of the Ritter really allows one to utilize S30 to its max.

Knifeworks sells the Ritter and it can be engraved by them. Doug Ritter may also offer the service.

The Griptilian is an amazing knife with exceptional materials and great blade grinds. The Ritter takes an amazing knife, and takes the blade grind a step further. I can't say enough good things about the Ritter's blade.
    gripsno5550pf.jpg

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Honestly, I would say get the Ritter Griptilian and have it engraved by a 3rd party or by Benchmade after getting it. When one gets engraving from Benchmade, they usually have to pay full retail if they just get one knife. We won't for this run given it is a large run=quantity discount, but just one knife will.

The Ritter's edge geometry and steel gives it incredible versatility in usage and that's why everyone loves it so much...it uses a high-flat blade grind which many have called the best blade Benchmade has ever produced...and I own at least 40 Benchmades and have handled almost every Blue and Black class model made since like 1999, and I would personally agree. It slices exceptionally well from being a higher grind, but it's edge is hella tough because it is a flat grind. The tip is not so thin heavy work damages it, but not so thick it makes it hard to use with finesse cutting. The spine serrations give better control with both gloves and bare skin. It's also in S30V which is a fantastic steel, and in a stonewashed finish which is tough as hell and hides scratches better than any other finish. 154CM is a great steel, but S30V improves upon it across the board. That high flat grind of the Ritter really allows one to utilize S30 to its max.

Knifeworks sells the Ritter and it can be engraved by them. Doug Ritter may also offer the service.

The Griptilian is an amazing knife with exceptional materials and great blade grinds. The Ritter takes an amazing knife, and takes the blade grind a step further. I can't say enough good things about the Ritter's blade.

gripsno5550pf.jpg

Outstanding reply with great info. So from top to bottom in your pic it looks like the bottom two are ritters and the top one is a bit different with different blade? Am I close on this? I love the looks of the Ritter and would love to own one.

Sharadeth

Oct 11, 2011
    I've was originally thinking that a fixed blade would be nice but that griptilian looks great! I'm in for sure.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Too late to get in? Or is this still in the setup phase before going to the group buys board?

Still waiting for price quotes from Benchmade, I believe, as well as finalising design etc. Plenty of time to get in, as I read it.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Still waiting for price quotes from Benchmade, I believe, as well as finalising design etc. Plenty of time to get in, as I read it.

Si. There is tons of time. I am still waiting on a few knife makers to get back to me...there's plenty of time as I am hoping to later post a second poll with a few options for people to vote on. Then from there, possibly post a thread for people to commit, and that thread will be used to place the order for the Sprint Run.

Outstanding reply with great info. So from top to bottom in your pic it looks like the bottom two are ritters and the top one is a bit different with different blade? Am I close on this? I love the looks of the Ritter and would love to own one.

Correct...the middle is the Mini Ritter Griptilian (technically the Mini-RSK MK1 558), bottom is the full-sized Ritter Griptilian (technically, the RSK MK1 552), and top is the Mini Griptilian 556 with the drop point blade.

The standard drop point is a great blade and 154 is great steel. The Ritter just takes it up a notch (and in price). The full-sized Ritter is going to be closer to $135 and the Mini $120 SRP versus the standard full-sized Grip around $90-100 and the mini a bit less.

I will see if Benchmade could possibly work something with the Ritter as well to get pricing. In terms of keeping cost lowest, if we went with a Benchmade the standard drop point Griptilian 551 or mini Grip 556 in a 154CM blade in satin will be the lowest priced.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Si. There is tons of time. I am still waiting on a few knife makers to get back to me...there's plenty of time as I am hoping to later post a second poll with a few options for people to vote on. Then from there, possibly post a thread for people to commit, and that thread will be used to place the order for the Sprint Run.

Correct...the middle is the Mini Ritter Griptilian (technically the Mini-RSK MK1 558), bottom is the full-sized Ritter Griptilian (technically, the RSK MK1 552), and top is the Mini Griptilian 556 with the drop point blade.

The standard drop point is a great blade and 154 is great steel. The Ritter just takes it up a notch (and in price). The full-sized Ritter is going to be closer to $135 and the Mini $120 SRP versus the standard full-sized Grip around $90-100 and the mini a bit less.

I will see if Benchmade could possibly work something with the Ritter as well to get pricing. In terms of keeping cost lowest, if we went with a Benchmade the standard drop point Griptilian 551 or mini Grip 556 in a 154CM blade in satin will be the lowest priced.

I'm down with either but would prefer (just my preference) to buy once cry once. I'd love to buy a blade built well and top notch. :)

Sharadeth

Oct 11, 2011
    AND -
    Once the orders are placed and a delivery date draws near - may I recommend a Meet & Greet?
    It might be fun to get together and receive the knives in person...in a place where they won't freak out due to a bunch of folks with knives...

:beer:

I'm completely in for that iff (read "if and only if") its after august 13......... that's my 21st ;)

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    AND -
    Once the orders are placed and a delivery date draws near - may I recommend a Meet & Greet?
    It might be fun to get together and receive the knives in person...in a place where they won't freak out due to a bunch of folks with knives...

:beer:

I like that idea! I'd be willing to bring 5, 30, 50, or maybe 100 or so knives if anyone wants to check out a few designs, and maybe an EdgePro also if anyone wants something sharpened?

I have gotten info on the Benchmade...and also am now getting info on the Ritter Grip as the sole reseller of the Ritter will do a run and can engrave in-house. I would prefer to post everything all at once to make it a little easier.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I like that idea! I'd be willing to bring 5, 30, 50, or maybe 100 or so knives if anyone wants to check out a few designs, and maybe an EdgePro also if anyone wants something sharpened?

I have gotten info on the Benchmade...and also am now getting info on the Ritter Grip as the sole reseller of the Ritter will do a run and can engrave in-house. I would prefer to post everything all at once to make it a little easier.

Count me in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom