• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    What are your suggestions for a get home gun? My son lives and works in the Odenton area and lives in an apartment. He doesn't have any guns, but I wanted to give him one as a get home gun. Say monetary, society or the grid falls. He would have to travel 32 and 70 to get back here. I was thinking our G17 with three mags of 147 grain hollow points. He is an excellent rifle shot, and I was thinking some kind of carbine might be a better solution for anything over 20 yards. Obviously avoid engagement at every chance. The only long guns I have that I don't use are the Marlin 336A in 30-30, some bolts, Wingmasters, but they aren't really practical in a car if needed. My favorite handgun is my 1858 with a 45LC conversion in it. That 8" barrel make it accurate like a mini carbine compared to shooting other hand guns. I would qualify it as hunting capable if MD considered it legal. I have 60 yard confidence in it compared to 30 yard with the Glock or P365.

What round/gun would you consider giving to your kid?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    An AH1G Cobra. Seriously though, in the event of societal failure, you would definitely not want to get stuck on Rt.32 or Rt.70.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Well I have already discussed alternate routes of 175 to 29N, to Rodgers Ave, 32N to liberty rd in to Frederick. Then it is Alt 40 over the mountains to home.

I am not sure my entire 4o1k would cover the Cobra and besides, he has no where to park it. ;)

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I've heard of some people carrying sub2k and pistols since they share ammo and mags

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Reality check - That scenario and he's there , he's Eff' ed, and there are no good answers .

The only semi viable solution is awareness and determination to anticipate , so as to Get Out of Dodge 12 to 24 hrs ahead of everyone. Which also includes that it's better to jump too soon for false alarms than be slow the onetime it's real.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But out of your list , for other vaguely related purposes other than the inherently impossible, probably the G17 . With 4 mags of 124 jhp , plus another 100 rds or so in boxes in the bug out bag/ backpack/ duffle .

4 mags = 1 in gun .
    1 in single mag holder
    2 in double mag holder

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    More valuable would be a get home hybrid motorcycle. If traffic is f'd, the ability to split lanes AND to just drive off road can't be beat.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    "Dad... I want an escape motorcycle in case the SHTF..."

"No son... they're too dangerous... but here's a G17, 200 rounds of hollow points and a bazooka..."

:D

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Shoes to walk in.
    Small tent, cammo to sleep in woods if don't make it home.
    little more prepared for EMP attack or power outage where can't get gas

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I shot the Sub2k and did not like it. Maybe with raised magpul sight, or red dot, on it. I found the stock brace to me far too high and uncomfortable to aim. I like the idea of the gun, just did not like its design of the shoulder brace and the height of it.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I’m confused. You want to get home? Or, be comfortable?
    This. Having multiple firearms that take the same mags is a major plus. The Sub2k can fold down and fit in a backpack. The g17, well it's a handgun, so there's that to consider. Stock up on Glock mags and you're all set. Throw a bunch in the backpack.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Shoes to walk in.
    Small tent, cammo to sleep in woods if don't make it home.

If 50% of the combined population of DC/ Baltimore metro area is simultaneously trying to do the same thing , there won't be isolated woods to camp behind a camp tarp and dissappear. It will be elbow to elbow people everywhere.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Two thoughts...

It would probably be a wise idea to make a few good, trusted friends along the way, where he could hole up for a night, or more if it seems to be a good idea to let the initial panic subside from whatever-it-was.

Second, a lot of people mentioned the sub2k but others criticized specific aspects of it. There are similar alternatives now.... S&W's FPC which uses M&P mags, and Ruger's LC Carbine in .45 acp which uses Glock mags and is lighter than the Ruger PCC.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Ruger PCC in 9mm

Or

A 10-22 with fairly short after market barrel and Hogue stock…even consider 22M

Neither is lots of money. I’d lean more toward 10-22 solution as it’s quite lite and you can carry plenty ammo. If he’s a good shot, 22 or 22M will keep the dipshits at bay and give him maneuver/escape room and time.

I wouldn’t pursue someone who was armed with a 10-22 and capable. There’s bound to be more/easier targets in the AOR you’ve described.

Ditto the rec to id friendlies along the route unless he can make it on foot in only a few hours given ideal conditions. Screw a tent imo. A good surplus poncho and wool sweater and sox and appropriate footwear and liter or three of water should be his friend.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    All this talk about bugging out and walking long distances has me wanting to contact that guy in Haiti and get some recipes. There's plenty of plumb tender people near me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom