• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It seems to me that this is a silly conversation, but I'll be your huckleberry. Do you really believe the country could go from zero to total anarchy between the time your son leaves to go to work in the morning and the end of his work day? Seems like shit will be brewing long before that. He may need to make the bugout call before the situation is that dangerous. I'd say some situational awareness is in order, but worse case scenario you can't beat a standard roll out kit, an SB Carbine that fits in a backpack, a pistol in your selected caliber, low profile body armor and a bug out bag with the necessary supplies and equipment to get where he needs to be. The last thing you want to do is look like a full on combatant. LE might confuse the friend foe thing. Other considerations are urban escape and evasion training. Dress to blend in, organic muted colored clothes. Learning first aid and how to hot wire a car might be valuable as well as defeating locks for shelter or cover. Not to mention you the dad, should find a link up site somewhere near the middle that you could safely meet and pick him up if he's on foot. The ultimate goal is to get home and not fire a shot. Let's hope and pray but I doubt it will get that bad without some sort of obvious ultra extreme events.

Personally I'm with Bob A. Gonna sit on the porch and protect the castle.
    You gotta make it to the porch to be able to sit on it.

I do agree with trying not to look like a tango with a satchel charge strapped to your back.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Range/Go Kit: Two pistols, 14 mags, 174 rounds...9" x 13" x 3":
    365Pack1.jpg

365Pack2.jpg

Last edited:

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    I work from home so getting home from the office isn’t an issue. Where to go to bug or to stay put, those are the questions. Travel from home in Frederick Co to Hagerstown airport would be the first issue, once to the airport it’s an easy trip to anywhere within 600-900 miles depending on wind In about 4 hours. Airplane has a survival kit, truck has survival kit. Primary kit has backpacker 10-22 and about 1000 rounds, backup has an M1 Carbine. Both have first aid, water purification, lights, tarps, space blankets, fire starting, and a bunch of other stuff. all that and still between 15 and 20 lbs. I can build another kit with a Taylors Alaskan 1892 take down in 44 mag. I really need to get a 44 mag wheel gun to compliment it and keep ammo stock easy. For handguns I have choices between a couple .22 High Standard semi autos and a couple .22 wheel guns. A 9mm, a .40 S&W, 3 different 38 special wheel guns, a 45 Colt wheel gun and a Winchester 1892 take down in 45 Colt. Likely some other stuff in the closet. Spare ammo can be used for barter as necessary.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Thousand rounds in the trunk sounds like a bad idea, especially when the morons crash into you and set you on fire.

Sounds like you have a misunderstanding of what unchambered ammo will do in a fire.

It goes pop, like popcorn. Barely has enough force to dent a piece of drywall.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    It seems to me that this is a silly conversation, but I'll be your huckleberry. Do you really believe the country could go from zero to total anarchy between the time your son leaves to go to work in the morning and the end of his work day? Seems like shit will be brewing long before that. He may need to make the bugout call before the situation is that dangerous. I'd say some situational awareness is in order, but worse case scenario you can't beat a standard roll out kit, an SB Carbine that fits in a backpack, a pistol in your selected caliber, low profile body armor and a bug out bag with the necessary supplies and equipment to get where he needs to be. The last thing you want to do is look like a full on combatant. LE might confuse the friend foe thing. Other considerations are urban escape and evasion training. Dress to blend in, organic muted colored clothes. Learning first aid and how to hot wire a car might be valuable as well as defeating locks for shelter or cover. Not to mention you the dad, should find a link up site somewhere near the middle that you could safely meet and pick him up if he's on foot. The ultimate goal is to get home and not fire a shot. Let's hope and pray but I doubt it will get that bad without some sort of obvious ultra extreme events.

Personally I'm with Bob A. Gonna sit on the porch and protect the castle.
    Good call on lockpick stuff. I've got a pick set in my backpack that has come in handy waaaaaay more than I thought it would. I've also got a small pair of wire cutters that are good enough to cut through chain link.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I am seriously liking that rig. What exactly is it? Please and thank you.
    I like that kit, better form factor than an ammo can of mags and a soft pouch. Plus it can be added or subtracted from a kit based on your needs. Looks pretty close to a messenger style laptop bag. Who makes that bag, if you don't mind?
    I bought it used, so I don't have the original source/info. It has enough space between the two pistols to carry a CCW holster.

It has a "VISM" tag inside. Pretty sure it's this one, but I can't seem to get a look at the inside configuration to match them up:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vism-double-range-pistol-bags.html

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    I bought it used, so I don't have the original source/info. It has enough space between the two pistols to carry a CCW holster.

It has a "VISM" tag inside. Pretty sure it's this one, but I can't seem to get a look at the inside configuration to match them up:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vism-double-range-pistol-bags.html

Thanks to both of yall for identifying it. Looks like a perfect small range kit or addable module to a ghb, I'm a fan of multi use items, keeps the clutter down.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    More valuable would be a get home hybrid motorcycle. If traffic is f'd, the ability to split lanes AND to just drive off road can't be beat.
    Or just an electric bicycle that folds up and left in the trunk.

G17 would also imply a W&C.

If no W&C awfully hard to have your get home gun handy.

For a trunk gun I’d honestly consider a shotgun. Rifles are sexy, but if you are trading shots with bad people at ranges where a shotgun wouldn’t be effective you are probably f’d anyway.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Or just an electric bicycle that folds up and left in the trunk.

G17 would also imply a W&C.

If no W&C awfully hard to have your get home gun handy.

For a trunk gun I’d honestly consider a shotgun. Rifles are sexy, but if you are trading shots with bad people at ranges where a shotgun wouldn’t be effective you are probably f’d anyway.
    I dunno, I've run shotguns and rifles... way easier to get fast and accurate hits with rifles with much less risk of collateral damage. Rifles are much less complicated than shotguns to run. Shotguns are probably one of the most complex kinds of guns to run well.

Plus, one mag of 5.56 or 300blk gives you 40 rounds. Imagine what a loadout of 40 12 Guage rounds looks and feels like. Need more? A rifle just let's to toss a new mag in. Shotguns need continuous feeding from some kind of easy to grab source.

It's also tricky to find a shotgun that fits in a backpack/laptop case whereas there are many options with sbrs/braced pistols.

Here's an old stage I did in 3 gun a while back that shows the difference fairly well.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    What I remember feeling on 9/11 was how eerie it was to have silent skies.

Now, for the SHTF memories, the stories of what mess was happening in the aftermath of Katrina down in New Orleans.
    There was some self preservation goin on down there then.
    That the best recent example. Just looking at the YouTube videos is a great reminder of what's happened previously

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Sounds like you have a misunderstanding of what unchambered ammo will do in a fire.

It goes pop, like popcorn. Barely has enough force to dent a piece of drywall.
    ....but I saw what Bruce Willis did in "RED" with rounds and a frying pan!!!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    okay... new entry in the suggestion race. At 20" overall in 300blk with a 7.5" barrel.... this sumbitch looks awesome for a bag-gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom