• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I've done business with several of the guys here with excellent results and would like to post positive feedback as is appropriate, but didn't see a spot for that.

Pros/Cons/Other thoughts?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I say no, and a big time no. It is too easy to create discourse the first time someone has an issue with a purchase or something or other and such issues should be kept to a particular thread or between the two individuals unless there is an abuse problem with a poster trying a scam of some sort and then I think it should be left up to Don, Norton or Norton's ugly brother to deal with IMO.

As far as positive feedback, I have had nothing but good to great experiences with other posters here and I too wish to have been able to post positive feedback somewhere other than in the thread where they offered the product for sale, but I have seen over on some other gun boards some bitter disputes carry on for years between a few people and while I doubt we have disreputable people selling anything here (especially since so many of us know each other personally now), I can see disaster in the making of a feedback forum on buying and selling sometime down the road.

Maybe if the forum had some sort of sticky setting parameters and defining some rules of conduct I may be for it, but see the paragraphs above for my first knee jerk reaction.
    Notice though I am thinking of what may happen years down the road when we have thousands of members here too.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I've done business with several of the guys here with excellent results and would like to post positive feedback as is appropriate, but didn't see a spot for that.

Pros/Cons/Other thoughts?

It's something we could easily do, and knowing most of the users here and how well behaved we all are, I don't see any problems arising from it like Novus described. Besides, we can always delete derogatory posts if they aren't warranted.

OR

As each transaction gets completed, users can pm DD214, Norton, or myself and we'll post a general comment as to the how the transaction went. Something like, "E.Shell reports a positive transaction with Bunnielab". No need to mention what was bought or sold (to maintain a little privacy). That will eliminate any pissing contests if something isn't working out, and we'll all benefit from having a little background on a buyer or seller before entering into a transaction.

What say the rest of y'all?

then I think it should be left up to Don, Norton or Norton's ugly brother to deal with IMO.

I resemble that remark, twinkletoes! :)

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    For those of you that spend time on the M14 Firing Line Forum you know how well it works over there.....I think it "encourages" people to do the right thing b/c they don't want bad reviews.

I'm all for it.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    It's something we could easily do, and knowing most of the users here and how well behaved we all are, I don't see any problems arising from it like Novus described. Besides, we can always delete derogatory posts if they aren't warranted.

OR

As each transaction gets completed, users can pm DD214, Norton, or myself and we'll post a general comment as to the how the transaction went. Something like, "E.Shell reports a positive transaction with Bunnielab". No need to mention what was bought or sold (to maintain a little privacy). That will eliminate any pissing contests if something isn't working out, and we'll all benefit from having a little background on a buyer or seller before entering into a transaction.

What say the rest of y'all?
    There is also the hurt feelings of an omission as well if one forgets or overlooks placing a good result comment.
    I know I am guilty of this at times and often forget to appreciate a good transaction properly. This is a minor issue though since I bet most of us here have enough sense not to be offended by someone's possible forgetfullness.

I resemble that remark, twinkletoes! :)
    :D I still can't figure out which is the fish and which is the fisherman in your pictures. :cool:

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    As Norton can attest (I think), on one of the other boards we surf, they have what is called a "marketplace rating". Having just got back into this hobby, I haven't really had a chance to check out many other places. The marketplace rating is just the number of your transactions in parentheses by your username. If you click on the number, a window pops up that lists each transaction with- who it was with, whether you were the buyer or seller, short description of transaction, and a little space to put a comment like ebay.
    No thread-but just click on someones market rating and you can get a general idea of what it will be like to deal with this person.
    Knowing nothing of computers or programming, I have no idea how complicated this would be to initiate....

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    So DD214 and Norton....should we run with it?

I've had transactions with 3 users here now and would like to post a follow up.

Perhaps in the interest of privacy we could make a rule that users only describe how the transaction went, not WHAT was bought and sold. Although I guess most of the stuff gets posted for sale FIRST.....:)

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Hmm, I just read this post from the beginning, and I had it confused with another proposal a few months ago to start a review thread for gun shops and retailers. My brain wasn't working so well this morning and I didn't realize this was the thread pertaining to feedback about actual members of this forum. I realized what it really was when I saw VNVGUNNER's latest post. I have to admit that I share the same concerns as Novus. That doesn't mean that I won't do it, as it looks like I'm committed now, but I just hope that everyone has thought this one through, and is aware of the problems that WILL arise. Is everyone sure that is this the way to do it, and not just by adding positive/negative feedback in the corresponding thread where the transaction originated?

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    The big problem I see with it is a Mod will have to stay on top of it all the time, unless posts are subject to mods before posts hit the board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom