• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    The big problem I see with it is a Mod will have to stay on top of it all the time, unless posts are subject to mods before posts hit the board.

I don't think the software will allow us to approve posts in individual subforums. I could be wrong. I have been wrong once or twice in my life. :innocent0

If we don't have an overwhelming consensus FOR it, then we should probably do as DD214 said and just encourage users to make individual posts in the appropriate for sale/wanted thread.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I think we should do it myself. In a smaller and for the most part more mature community like ours I think it will work well. I know there can be problems and sore feelings with these type of boards, but I'd like to think we're at a level above that here. The feedback forum over at gunboards works really well where its mostly all C&R types who act like grownups. I think we can do that here too.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Well, I figured if we are going to do it, we should do it right. I added a new section for classified ads which allows for eBay style user reputations and comments. If you view a users profile you will notice a new section titled "vBClassified" that shows positive/negative feedback. This feedback is also available each time a user creates an ad or places an offer. Hopefully this works to our benefit.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Yep. I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out.

**EDIT** I removed this feature as we are not primarily an auction site.

Dang it....now I can't spam Spot's ratings. :D

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    IMHO:

While I certainly don't want to cause problems between members, I more see this as a method of prevention and a way to store positive references and do think it's a good idea. At this time, I only have good things to say about my several interactions with members here, and think of it as recognition of "well done" anyway.

The "comments at the transaction thread" thing is only valuable while the thread stays on top . . . if I consider buying something from someone and don't realize they have negative feedback buried in some obscure "for sale" thread a year ago, the commentary there has not served it's purpose.

The fact that someone can simply say "Hey, I dealt with this guy before and he's OK" can make someone who is a little uncomfortable with the deal feel a little better in knowing the guy has been GTG in the past.

Similarly, there are enough people out there that WILL cause problems that the sooner someone can put the finger on them, the fewer of us get burned and for less. It would seem that anyone who knowingly makes bad deals or doesn't perform at their end *should* be outed.

A central repository for these comments, good and bad, makes it easy for members to judge their chances with potential deals.

With the privilege of being able to comment comes responsibility for what you say. To help ensure fairness, I would suggest that any negative feedback be subject to cross-examination and the other person's rebuttal. IOW, you'll need to back up what is said.

Truth should be 1st priority, feelings second . . .

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    If you have dealt with a user in the past, please feel free to use the new system to leave feedback. Just click on the user's public profile and look for the section called "vBClassified", then follow the link to the user's page where you can enter you rating/comments.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    DD214, would you mind doing a quick example of filling out the feedback form please? I was trying to leave feedback and couldn't do it because I don't know how.

Specifically:

1) What are we looking to put under "additional comments" that wouldn't go below? The feedback function will not operate unless something is put here, so I said "Good transaction" or something like that, but then got hung up on the next Q.

2) Where do we get the "Ad ID"? I couldn't see what they're talking about and did try the last (unique) digits of the URL - that was not acceptable and I couldn't finish.

TIA :)

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    DD214, would you mind doing a quick example of filling out the feedback form please? I was trying to leave feedback and couldn't do it because I don't know how.

Specifically:

1) What are we looking to put under "additional comments" that wouldn't go below? The feedback function will not operate unless something is put here, so I said "Good transaction" or something like that, but then got hung up on the next Q.

2) Where do we get the "Ad ID"? I couldn't see what they're talking about and did try the last (unique) digits of the URL - that was not acceptable and I couldn't finish.

TIA :)

It appears that additional comments are required. Think of it this way, the line titled "additional comments" is equivalent to a thread title. You have to have a title or you can't have a thread. The "detailed feedback" section is like the body of a post, which can be blank. The "ad id" only comes into play if you want to comment on a specific ad in which you were the buyer or seller. I created an example ad, and you will notice in the top right corner the "ad id" is listed. In the case of my test ad, it would be "4".

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Thank you, sir.

I guess I didn't have an "Ad ID" number because I was going back to an older post and nothing shows in the upper right corner except the post number.

What should I plug in for rating an older post, your "4"?

sbarber7973

Certified Fat Bastard
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2007
    Hyattsville, MD
    OK, I know that if you go to my profile and click send email I will never receive it at my email address, I have my spam folder disabled on my email account so I receive every email (I always have) and I do not receive anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom