• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    A dog is not a security system.

If you are a dog person and want a dog, get a dog. If you want a security system, get a security system.

A dog is not a security system that works when you are away but can be an ideal warning system when you are in your home. My big dog is a very protective breed and sleeps in the room with one of my kids every night. Sometimes he wanders between their rooms. If someone approaches the property the little one yaps and the big one turns on the Cujo charm. When we are away we have an alarm system and neighbors but at that point it's just stuff. What matters is with me.

N00bSh00ter

Feb 6, 2014
    MoCo
    Okay, guys. We're getting off topic. I already have a dog, and I love her.

The question was: does anybody have any good experience with a security system? Please only reply if you have one and like it or dislike it, and what provider you're using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Okay, guys. We're getting off topic. I already have a dog, and I love her. The question was: does anybody have any good experience with a security system? Please only reply if you have one and like it or dislike it, and what provider you're using.

OK, whatever. Your house, your rules. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Okay, guys. We're getting off topic. I already have a dog, and I love her.

The question was: does anybody have any good experience with a security system? Please only reply if you have one and like it or dislike it, and what provider you're using.

i have dyi security system.. webcam that i can connect with my cell phone..
    it does its job.. cant complain..

im thinking about the simple security that somebody else posted.. not really expensive..

Cadillac jack

Mar 5, 2014
    Crofton
    remember safety is a multilayer system it only works if you have layers of system . personal defense in my opinion is the first And last line of defense. why you have to defend yourself and family above anything. followed by a type of monitoring system, they are good to alarm you and the police but it may not stop a person from entering. guard dog is the add on or a layer to the system yes you have problems with clean up, feeding and health care but a dog can stop a person and the more obstacles you put in front of a person the less likely they are going to succeed and though the last line of defense is a firearm. firearms are deterrence that hopefully You never have to used just my opinion

Moneymaker

Mar 7, 2012
    College Park, MD
    Love the service we have received from CRIMPCO. They are a local company out of Baltimore, the installation of our system was a little expensive but the monitoring rates are a little cheaper than the big name companies. I liked the fact that the installers were very clean and thorough.

britishjohnhall

but if someone tries to commit any crime against us, we'll thankfully now have a means to defend ourselves...

I would say, what you have now is a tool. You can go to Lowes and buy all the tools you need to build a house, doesn't mean you know how to build a house. GET EDUCATED AND TRAIN! Then, as a last resort, you will know how to use your tool for its intended purpose. Take a local NRA Personal Protection In The Home course, its worth the investment.

Enjoying the thread though, I might be taking a look at our security system after some of these recommendations.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    There was a "reality" show on TV a few years back where an ex-burglar would test people's home security by breaking into their homes during the day.

I believe it was "To Catch a Thief"

I thought it was a pretty neat show. Gave a lot of tips to easily harden your home.

N00bSh00ter

Feb 6, 2014
    MoCo
    I would say, what you have now is a tool. You can go to Lowes and buy all the tools you need to build a house, doesn't mean you know how to build a house. GET EDUCATED AND TRAIN! Then, as a last resort, you will know how to use your tool for its intended purpose. Take a local NRA Personal Protection In The Home course, its worth the investment.

Enjoying the thread though, I might be taking a look at our security system after some of these recommendations.

Thanks! What you said absolutely should go without saying. Home defense is not a one-size-fits-all, buy-it-and-leave-it concept. It, and the user have to constantly evolve as vulnerabilities are discovered, and the user must be completely familiar with them in order to be effective.

Thanks to all the folks who posted recommendations! It's much appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    A dog is a better investment than a "security system"...

+1. I vote for a nice easy maintenance, smallish dog with a big upside: Staffordshire Bull Terrier. They are compact and take up very little space. They look like pit-bulls and most people are afraid of them. They are GREAT with children.

Oh wait. You want a security system. Sorry. I saw dog and went for it. lol. Good luck with the system. Minuteman has the right idea; however, I'd shop the prices around a bit.

thai

May 8, 2013
    I have had a security system for 15 years. Started with Brinks bought the units and spent close to 3K. The companies merged many times over and is now Broadview. Every window and external doors are hardwired to the system including a few motion sensors in strategic locations.

Security systems are in my view just alarms to alert me we have an uninvited guest. Nothing more, nothing less. My tools, shotgun, AR, and handgun are the main line of defense. Sure the cops will be called by the system but no where as quick a response as my Bennelli.

You will more than likely have false alarms. If more than a couple you will be fined! $25,$50, $100, $1000 in that order for each occurrence after your first free one.

It is a cost of family security. Until I find a better alternative that's the price for family security.

Btw, using a dog in lue of a security system must be a joke!?! Unless that dog is a trained attack/security dog, which will cost you a hell of a lot more for just the training. Add all the other expenses and you won't have much for the deadbeats to steal, because you would of already hocked or pawned of valuables prior.

tm12

Dec 22, 2012
    We've had a good experience working with Potomac Security (301-767-0039). We used a chain company at our previous house and it was a mess. The original company sold our contract to a company with an F Better Business Bureau rating and the contract was written in a way that you had a very short window between the expiration of the contract and auto-renewal. We ended up having to pay to get out of the contract when we moved. While it cost us more up front (for the equipment) to go with a local company this time, we like that there is no contract and we could change monitoring companies if we wanted. There were a couple of other small companies in MoCo that had high ratings on Consumer Checkbook etc. Ultimately, Potomac gave us the best price and seemed to be the nicest (there was another that is supposed to be good, but I was put off by the demeanor of the sales people).

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I do not know a lot about security systems, but one thing you can do with a handgun is use a quick-access handgun vault to secure the firearm. The brute strength of these products are minimal...but their size allows them to be hidden in areas that one isn't likely going to find in the time a criminal is inside. IIRC they say something short like 6-8 minutes is the average time a robber spends in an empty home. A good mini vault like the Fort Knox Pistol Box secured in an area that is extremely hard to find without tearing the house apart can be a real benefit.

Yep! +1

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    A dog is not a security system.

It is an investment in 10-14 years of feeding, caring for and cleaning up after. When the dog is sick or injured you are going to have to have them treated.

Dogs will naturally defend their homes and maybe bark at strangers but some will greet strangers like an old friend and are just as likely to bark at squirrel in the yard.

There was a "reality" show on TV a few years back where an ex-burglar would test people's home security by breaking into their homes during the day. In one home that had a German Shepard-type dog he dropped a couple of chunks of meat ahead of him before he dropped through a window. The dog was his best friend after that and happily followed him around wagging it's tail as he looted.

If you are a dog person and want a dog, get a dog. If you want a security system, get a security system.[/QUOT

Dogs are the best and a territorial one will ignore meat, though reality is they still will make enough noise until the meat arrives.

Dogs are awesome and few people (other than cops on no knocks) mess with them, even the small ones. Especially in quiet neighborhoods where you have folks around you who are attentive to the "somethings wrong" bark.

Plus you get cuddles and licks on the side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom