• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grasser

May 16, 2022
    Carroll County, Mount Airy
    I understand message boards. Say your part and move on. Calling people lazy because they don't subscribe to your ideas is not discussion.

Where do you draw the line? Say one day you put 250 rounds through one gun. You go home and clean it. You go to the range a couple days later and put 50 rounds down range. You take it home and clean it? Do you clean that gun every 50 rounds? It makes no sense.

Hey, if you have the time to clean your guns after every use, more power to ya. For many of us, shooting is squeezed into a portion of our busy day. We need to economize our time. WE ARE NOT LAZY!
    I enjoy cleaning my guns. I may not do it as soon as I get home, but on a nice day, I like to sit outside at the picnic table and take my time as I enjoy the outdoors. Usually, I will just run a patch through it and if it comes out relatively clean, I won't bother. I always check to see if it needs lubing but if I put less than 300 rounds through it, it typically does not need lube. I like to shoot cheap lead .22's through my rifle and despite everyone telling me it will dirty the barrel, I haven't noticed much deposit. Sure jacketed slugs are less dirty but I'd rather clean the barrel more frequently and shoot cheaper ammo.
    My pistols are 40 cal so I frequently inspect them for wear and tear even if I don't need to clean them.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Do you shoot in a lake?
    Well, he is "down by the riverside"... :)

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 12-41-56 Gun cleaning sucks!.png

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Hi, Do you take the guns apart before sticking them in the sonicator? Thanks, Robert
    I take off the slide, pull out the recoil spring and rod. Throw the frame in whole.

Just did two pistols this morning. Spent a little extra time scraping gunk from certain areas, and was still done in about 20 minutes.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I take off the slide, pull out the recoil spring and rod. Throw the frame in whole.

Just did two pistols this morning. Spent a little extra time scraping gunk from certain areas, and was still done in about 20 minutes.

Have you done this with slides with night sights? I’ve always heard that is no bueno but no first hand experience.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I forgot about this thread and just peeked in to see what's up.

People waste a good deal of time and money cleaning for the sake of cleaning. Even sonic cleaners used wrong can be quite quite bad for guns. The wrong lubes and degreasers can cause springs to fail prematurely.

It does not apply to all guns but for the AR family of weapons, a generous amount of lube is better under all circumstances. US Army/APG tested this subject extensively. Dry, light, and moderate amounts of lube allowed for more stoppages and malfunctions than heavy amounts of lube. They accounted for fouling and contaminants too. The only factor in their tests that could cause issues with generous amounts of lube was heavy viscosity lube in cold temps. Use the appropriate viscosity based on your climate.

People in the know, within the US Military can't combat institutional ignorance when it comes to bad maintenance practices. It just won't die. This bleeds into the civilian world. Those who use excessive and unnecessary military cleaning & maintenance methods on their guns are not doing anything positive.

I work on guns for a living and most people do more harm than good because they are cleaning modern semiautomatic guns with precise components like they would clean a charleville I'm 1780. It's not the same.

In the end, it ain't my guns being worn out for the sake of maintenence so I just offer my advice based on my experience and move on. It doesn't hurt me in any way of people do bad things to their guns.

Last edited:

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    With with respect to MaxVO2-- I love when he talks dirty about getting clean. Love ya, brother.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Still lots of excuses here and reasonings, to not clean your rifles/firearms after use. My mind is beleaguered that some our brethren here have adopted mediocracy, a willful dismissal of time honored standards of American care and cleaning of firearms, all in their pursuit of getting to their big screen TV and bag of Cheetos.

Just a damned shame. A godawful, damned shame. I watch American society collapse every day, from every angle and approach. :sad20:

Last edited:

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I forgot about this thread and just peeked in to see what's up.

People waste a good deal of time and money cleaning for the sake of cleaning. Even sonic cleaners used wrong can be quite quite bad for guns. The wrong lubes and degreasers can cause springs to fail prematurity.

It does not apply to all guns but for the AR family of weapons, a generous amount of lube is better under all circumstances. US Army/APG tested this subject extensively. Dry, light, and moderate amounts of lube allowed for more stoppages and malfunctions than heavy amounts of lube. They accounted for fouling and contaminants too. The only factor in their tests that could cause issues with generous amounts of lube was heavy viscosity lube in cold temps. Use the appropriate viscosity based on your climate.

People in the know, within the US Military can't combat institutional ignorance when it comes to bad maintenance practices. It just won't die. Those who use excessive and unnecessary military cleaning & maintenance methods on their guns are not doing anything positive.

I work on guns for a living and most people do more harm than good because they are cleaning modern semiautomatic guns with precise components like they would clean a charleville I'm 1780. It's not the same.

In the end, it ain't my guns being worn out for the sake of maintenance so I just offer my advice based on my experience and move on. It doesn't hurt me in any way of people do bad things to their guns.
    I presume you are a gunsmith so I would sincerly appreciate your expert opinion on the following:

1. Cold bore shots from an immaculately cleaned barrel can be dealt with by simply firing a fouling round or 2 to return the accuracy of a "dirty" barrel?

2. Leaving 1-x000 rounds of smokeless powder residue in a barrel will not increase corrosion of the barrel or receiver that a normal cleaning/lube would reduce. If there is an increase in corrosion/pitting how much more percentage wise over time? How much higher is it for dirtier 22 v/s center fire rounds?

3. From item 2 above, if a gun is stored for over say over 1-4 years as many are in a safe uncleaned, is the corrosion of an uncleaned gun versus a clean lubed one significantly more %wise?

4. How wet should an AR be run? Can a few blasts of Ballistol or (please provide the best AR lube) for a "clean but lightly lubed" AR provide adequate lubrication for reliable operation at the range? FTR, I will never install an oil soaked BCG into an AR because I can't believe folks actually do this. It just doesn't seem right to me but YMMV.

5. Does a perfectly cleaned gun in a safe w/ a golden rod need to be cleaned every year if it has not been used? It seems some folks clean clean gun once per year and some folks never clean dirty guns at least once per year and don't worry about corrosion. I am genuinely confused by this.

6. I understand why over over aggressively cleaning can be worse that almost never cleaning, but for the poster that runs a patch or 2 until it comes clean and never uses a brush to clean his 22, won't it become a smooth bore eventually since the rifling never gets cleaned. In my experience, using a brush turns a "clean" barrel into a very dirty barrel.

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Still lots of excuses here and reasonings, to not clean your rifles/firearms after use. My mind is beleaguered that some our brethren here have adopted mediocracy, a willful dismissal of time honored standards of American care and cleaning of firearms, all in their pursuit of getting to their big screen TV and bag of Cheetos.

Just a damned shame. A godawful, damned shame. I watch American society collapse every day, from every angle and approach. :sad20:
    It's the end of civilization as we know it!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!

Personally I dont really see anything to brag or specifically gain for not doing basic maintenance after shooting a CF rifle.
    With basic circumstances and kit, it takes about 5 minutes.
    Literally.
    You dont have to go very far to understand who got to shoot one before they learned how to care for one if that should be the case.
    At any rate no one could be that stupid and undisciplined if you ask me. I think what you see is some chop busters and a wide range of methods communicated that are easy to misinterpret.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

JFC give it a rest already.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    2nd question, do you really run AR actions dripping wet w/ oil? Thanks in advance.
    In our patrol rifle class we shot a couple thousand rounds in a week. We were told to run the BCG wet. I was never an AR guy before this class, so I didn't understand what they meant and put on more oil than my Glock needs and thought I was fine.

Before lunch day 1, I had numerous malfunctions. Broke down the gun on the range, the BCG was dry and gritty.

At lunch I cleaned it and had it dripping oil. It was disgusting shooting after lunch, oil was spraying everywhere for the first couple of shots... but I didn't have any more malfunctions. We were laying down in the dirt, getting those rifles pretty messy too.

End of the day the BCG was black, but not at all gritty. Cleaned and saturated it with oil for day 2, then 3, then 4 and never an issue.

Yes, my AR BCGs get soaked before they get shot.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom