• ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    I've used your method, Chad, since I watched your videos for lubrication and cleaning of ar's. Thanks. Works great. I was originally over cleaning and under lubricating. Works great. Have since turned other people on to it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I've used your method, Chad, since I watched your videos for lubrication and cleaning of ar's. Thanks. Works great. I was originally over cleaning and under lubricating. Works great. Have since turned other people on to it.
    Glad it's been helpful and you have experienced good results.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Still lots of excuses here and reasonings, to not clean your rifles/firearms after use. My mind is beleaguered that some our brethren here have adopted mediocracy, a willful dismissal of time honored standards of American care and cleaning of firearms, all in their pursuit of getting to their big screen TV and bag of Cheetos.

Just a damned shame. A godawful, damned shame. I watch American society collapse every day, from every angle and approach. :sad20:
    "Why?" It's a pretty solid little question to ask when presented with routines. Why clean the bore completely after each use? What exactly is the purpose of it for something like an ar15? This is with the understanding that the bore is going to be chrome-lined, stainless, or nitrided. You're expending energy and resources to clean the bore after each trip, so why? What makes that use of your time better than doing something else like working out, spending time with your kids, or learning a new skill?

Actions of guns CAN be a different story, depending on the gun, but if the gun is fairly reliable, then not much should be needed to keep it functioning outside of keeping it lubed, giving it a wipe-down every once in a while and maintaining components(like springs).

So rather than some blind institutional inertia virtue-signaling thing about there being value in pointless labor, give a specific purpose for why these behaviors are beneficial. You're going to have a hard time coming up with anything reasonable for cleaning the bore every single trip vs some other metric like, "when fouling begins to open groups up" or some other performance criteria.

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Teratos not Lakely but considering what moisture and humidity will do. I learned this the hard way it’ll never happen again. I once put one away dirty using non corrosive regular USA ammo and three wells later a knot in my throat. It did clean up bit that was a nasty event for sure.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Cleaning has little to do with risk of corrosion.

Wipe downs, proper storage (not in gun cases), and using a decent protectant is key to preventing corrosion.

No all oil protects well, and a clean gun with no protectant is not protected.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    It's genuinely sad to see rust on a firearm. Neglect is almost always the cause, and valuable firearms need to be inspected and wiped down occasionally. I would argue that frequency of attention paid with wipe downs is perhaps even more important than the product used.

I've had very good results with G96 Gun Treatment and Barricade both, with keeping rust off guns. Others swear by Eezox. I've not used that, but I have used the other 2 with success for years. Bottom line, gotta get something on those guns.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Teratos not Lakely but considering what moisture and humidity will do. I learned this the hard way it’ll never happen again. I once put one away dirty using non corrosive regular USA ammo and three wells later a knot in my throat. It did clean up bit that was a nasty event for sure.
    A little bit of moisture trapped under in around some powder fouling will do just that.
    Turn to rust in certain environments.
    Experience is the best teacher has oft been mentioned by those that are, not by those that dont know.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    A little bit of moisture trapped under in around some powder fouling will do just that.
    Turn to rust in certain environments.
    Experience is the best teacher has oft been mentioned by those that are, not by those that dont know.
    :thumbsup:

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    My rifle is human, even as I am human, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    … Who hates cleaning guns as much as I do?

Low Odor Mineral spirits, a Tupperware “shoe box,” natural bristle 1” brush and an air compressor.

Now, I can clean a couple guns in the time it’s taken me to read this thread; I too used to hate cleaning arms, and also to point it hindered me going to the range. Not no mo, tho …

Somewhere, there is a thread where I posted the process, wit ph pics of my cart on wheels that I can roll out our bsmt door onto our lighted patio …

The Photo of the cart that stays just inside the doors onto our lowermost back deck … with an update of sorts.

Now that my nephew has gotten his wife and 11yo daughter into practical handgun and pcc it is nothing for the four of us to go through a case a session in as many as up to a dozen guns.

At some point it occurred to me there are electrical outlets on our covered ranges so quite often now, I simply toss a spare air compressor, some low odor mineral spirits, a couple brushes and some lubes onto the back of my truck and clean the really fouled actions right there on the tailgate, literally as soon as they’ve cooled off!

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpeg
      IMG_0181.jpeg
      407.5 KB · Views: 55

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I've always found cleaning to be a Zen experience myself. The task at hand becomes consuming as the world falls away, leaving you with a brief period of absolute clarity. As the machine becomes perfect, the mind clears, the Universe opens, and Life is enhanced.

Much like the Japanese Tea Ceremony, there is a strict procedure to unpacking the cleaning kit, living the motions of the task and savoring the Experience that is the Now.

It's all very satisfying if you put your mind in the proper perspective.

Last edited:

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    I've always found cleaning to be a Zen experience myself. The task at hand becomes consuming as the world falls away, leaving you with a brief period of absolute clarity. As the machine becomes perfect, the mind clears, the Universe opens, and Life is enhanced.

Much like the Japanese Tea Ceremony, there is a strict procedure to unpacking the cleaning kit, living the motions of the task and savoring the Experience that is the Now.

It's all very satisfying if you put your mind in the proper perspective.
    Agreed. I find it extremely satisfying to have a clean and well functioning machine that I've taken the care to maintain well.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    How on earth did I not know about this?:

Does it really smell like the famous Hoppe's #9? You betcha!

They are neat! I just wish the smell didn’t dissipate as quickly as it does ….

Attachments

• IMG_7611.jpeg
      IMG_7611.jpeg
      181.1 KB · Views: 39

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom